Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crystal let down Reps?

Poster: A snowHead
I heard a report on Radio 4 this morning that Crystal had offered jobs to a number of ski reps starting this week and have now told them that they may not be needed for about 3 months. The prospective rep they interviewed had given up his job and was ready to travel.

It appears that Crystal have offered compensation to those affected.

Anyone else heard anything/know anything about this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tarrantd, I didn't listen to R4 this morning, too busy doing other things. I've heard of this happening before though not sure it ws Crystal. Perhaps they have a surplus now they are not offering ski hosting services.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CRYSTAL....... CRYSTAL. I'm sure someone must have had a good trip with them, but I have yet to meet one, so the fact they treat staff badly isn't a surprise.

Cause and effect?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Twas on You and Yours at lunchtime.

27 reps affected.

Undisclosed compensation offered.

Why the fuss?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Direct result of decision to pull ski hosting I'd have thought. Little grounds for people feeling aggrieved unless they'd done their research expressed concern and been reassured by Crystal that rep programme would continue regardless.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thecramps wrote:
CRYSTAL....... CRYSTAL. I'm sure someone must have had a good trip with them, but I have yet to meet one, so the fact they treat staff badly isn't a surprise.

There are several people who have previously posted on here that they have had good trips with Crystal (including me).

I have used them more often than any other TO for skiing, and never had a problem.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
altis - if you had given up your job, and then been told by your new employer they didn't need you, I think you might want to make a FUSS...............

Dave -- the decision to cease Guiding (sorry - social skiing) only hit the fan last week ........
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@alex_heney, +1
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They get compensation but what about the deposit? I don't know about deposits for jobs but will these be returned too? I'm sure if I had to wait 3 months for a SKI related job I might decide I don't want the job just for the end of the season and find something else.

I can see that the guiding decision may have been a factor in these last minute "we don't need you yet" notifications but it's pretty poor for those youngsters who have dropped everything to do a season in the alps and now find themselves needing an alternative for the winter and possibly already turned down other offers Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went with Crystal last Xmas to Bulgaria, and although the snow was poor and only 5 runs were open on the whole resort, the actual service offered by Crystal was brilliant. So much so we are going with them again this Xmas and again in March.

I will point out though that the main reason for us using them is more to do with the ease of travel rather than the trips and other things they offer in resort. From a pre holiday point they have been very good with letting us change from a SC apartment, to a Catered chalet and offering this "Upgrade" at the original listing price as to when we booked the SC apartment. (This is was £100 PP cheaper than time of changing), then we made another change from flights to Eurostar.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
10+ trips with Crystal, always happy, child care in particular was great, we always had good value for money.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
been with crystal for years.. only little problems that you would get anywhere and not always in their control, but they always fixed it !
I do believe it's partly because of the ski hosting,
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is a long time since we went with Crystal, and my opinions would go from really great to really awful. Great food and chalet staff in La Rosiere (although their night-time shenanigans weren't really suitable for families), chaos in La Plagne when we had someone else's ski passes and had been booked into beginner lessons.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tarrantd wrote:
I heard a report on Radio 4 this morning that Crystal had offered jobs to a number of ski reps starting this week and have now told them that they may not be needed for about 3 months. The prospective rep they interviewed had given up his job and was ready to travel.

It appears that Crystal have offered compensation to those affected.

Anyone else heard anything/know anything about this?

Nothing changes then.

They did this to me in 2004. In the end I got another job (and got very lucky) but I had to get a solicitor friend of mine to write to them before they gave me my £100 bond back.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I do recall in the old days Crystal training courses had scare stories of new reps advised at start of training courses that there were more reps than spaces available just to make sure they were fully focussed and motivated.
latest report
now that no skiing is required maybe they are utilising reps from summer resorts that are shutting down into the winter ones... would it be cheaper for them ?
snow conditions
I cannot comment on Crystal's level of service to their clients. I do know that for a youngster's dreams to be shattered is hard. I am sure Crystal do too. What they choose to do about it is a business decision for them. There may be many economic factors influencing their decision.

What is quite clear (and I have done my research). Ski guiding in a commercial environment is illegal in France and Italy unless you are suitably qualified. It may be in Austria too.

Is this the end of "guided" holidays?i

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 27-11-14 12:47; edited 3 times in total
latest report
thecramps wrote:

Cause and effect?

Eh?

Well a few have since posted positively and, just to add to that, I've had 7/8 Crystal trips and all positive. Chalets and hotels in France and Austria - all well run, likeable/helpful staff (sorry, I meant slaves, of course), good food, no travel issues. Did exactly what they offered/sold.
latest report
@yorkshirelad, Crystal and Thomson are one and the same. When my step daughter worked as a ski rep in the winter with Crystal on her shirt, she also worked as a summer holiday rep with Thomson on her shirt. Don't think it would work out any cheaper for the company. It may save on a bit of admin as they are already on the payroll. Any savings on recruitment wouldn't be applicable until next season as this winter's recruitment drive has already taken place.
ski holidays
Quote:

now that no skiing is required maybe they are utilising reps from summer resorts that are shutting down into the winter ones... would it be cheaper for them ?

Wouldn't have thought so, generally reps (summer or winter) are only employed for the season and contracts are terminated at the end of that period so the staff costs wouldn't change regardless of who they used.
latest report
This doesn't have anything to do with ski guiding. Crystal always over-recruit in order to have enough to fill spaces left by late drop outs. They haven't had as many no-shows as usual this year, so they've offered too many positions. Bet they don't return those £100 loyalty bonds without a fight though.
snow conditions
Cacciatore wrote:
thecramps wrote:

Cause and effect?

Eh?

Well a few have since posted positively and, just to add to that, I've had 7/8 Crystal trips and all positive. Chalets and hotels in France and Austria - all well run, likeable/helpful staff (sorry, I meant slaves, of course), good food, no travel issues. Did exactly what they offered/sold.

+1. I've done at least 10 trips with crystal. Only one disappointment with the food in a 'catered chalet' in Fernie, but then it cost £550 to go to fernie for flights transfers and 10 nights catered accommodation, so all things considered still a steal of a deal.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 28-11-14 10:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I've done countless holidays with crystal to Austria and Switzerland, winter and summer, including allocation on arrival and never had a bad holiday.
snow conditions
I personally find them arrogant at Crystal. Always bump into them at ski shows or on resort and my personal experience is that they have arrogance and the people on the trips are always up for a boozy time.

Please note that is only my experience and I am sure they are not all like that.

I stick to UCPA trips (can't mention the company I book with or this will be deleted apparently...). Nicer atmosphere
snow conditions
I've had many trips with Crystal, including a recent trip to Saalbach. No problems with them whatsoever.
ski holidays
It's pretty bad luck for anyone hoping to do a season and have it fall through like this at such late notice, but it sounds as if Crystal have actually gone above and beyond what they are legally/morally bound to do. I'm not quite sure what any expects Crystal to do in this situation. Pay unnecessary reps/guides just to have a few months holiday in the Alps? Everyone should know these jobs are pretty uncertain at the best of times. Seasons finish early, seasonnaires get fed up or injured and go home.

Incidentally, we skied with Crystal last year and they were excellent.
latest report
I'm not the least bit surprised - that's Crystal.
As to holiday experiences it shouldn't matter how Crystal dump on their recruits; many TOs tell their start of the season staff (quite truthfully) something along the lines of 'We've got a reserve list as long as your arm - if you don't make the grade you ARE dispensable'.
snow report
@Kenzie, If you read the comments above the consensus seems to be that Crystal are pretty good so I'm not sure where the 'that's Crystal' comment comes from.

Quote:

As to holiday experiences it shouldn't matter how Crystal dump on their recruits; many TOs tell their start of the season staff (quite truthfully) something along the lines of 'We've got a reserve list as long as your arm - if you don't make the grade you ARE dispensable'.

Isn't this exactly the same as any job under the sun? If you don't make the grade of course you have to go. Where's the problem?

Also, in what way have Crystal 'dumped on their recruits'? If the job no longer exists what do you expect them to do? They even offered them compensation!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been plenty of times with Crystal , no real problems ever, and better than average for TOs as far as I'm concerned. (though Last Choice skews the average down somewhat.)
snow report
Anyone seen anything on the net about this? It seems very hush hush
snow conditions
Glad people have had good times with Crystal. Our two with them were complete disasters from beginning to end (one chalet, one self catering), so while others like them, we won't risk using them again.
ski holidays
My trips with Crystal have been excellent. Reps and backroom central staff v helpful. But First Choice? Not called Worst Choice in our house for nothing.... not a good experience.
latest report
Trips with Crystal may be excellent for the price, but for years they really have not been renowned for treating their staff decently in so many ways more than the pay.
ski holidays
thecramps wrote:

Cause and effect?

I've had a good trip with them, the only thing we thought (OH and I) negative was that the rep wanted to speak to us almost every day to see if she could do anything.. 'Great' service, but still we're capable of (and prefer) to sort ourselves out for things once we get to where we're going. Only personal preference though, happy with Crystal overall.. (with limited ski, but extensive travel experience).
latest report
@thecramps, to be fair our trips have been to hotels and only used Crystal for flights / accom / transfer so very hard for them to mess it up..

Speaking of messing it up.. what the hell is going on? Crystal advertising 15/16 bookings?? http://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-events/ski-next-season/?cid=smedia_fb_1516launch
snow report
All tour operators usually manage to mess up the return transfers by leaving at 6am so we spend hours in the airport or last season making us wait in the cold for an hour for the coach to arrive. They all seem pretty identical, often offering identical trips staying at the same hotels.
snow conditions
dobby wrote:
My trips with Crystal have been excellent. Reps and backroom central staff v helpful. But First Choice? Not called Worst Choice in our house for nothing.... not a good experience.

Crystal, Thomson and First Choice are all part of the same organisation (TUI). Crystal is the skiing arm of the business.

I've holidayed many times and worked for them for a season a few years back as a rep. No problems whatsoever with them then or now, in fact I'm going on a Crystal holiday in February.

They also seem to be taking more of a hands-off approach with the reps these days, and instead of welcome meetings and door knocking they have designated service centres instead (i.e. they'll be in a particular place at a particular time for one on one conversations). Much less in your face and salesy.

A big TO (in fact by far the biggest in the industry) is always going to get some bad reviews. But they're the top TO because, quite obviously, they get it right much more often than they get it wrong. The bulk buying they can employ also means that they can keep the costs down, I've regularly not been able to DIY a group holiday for as cheap as the TO equivalent on offer. Especially so when it comes to late deals, which is where the real value is found.
snow report
madlondoner wrote:
All tour operators usually manage to mess up the return transfers by leaving at 6am so we spend hours in the airport or last season making us wait in the cold for an hour for the coach to arrive. They all seem pretty identical, often offering identical trips staying at the same hotels.

They do this so you dont miss a flight. While you might want to risk setting off for the airport with only just enough time to get there, the TO's cant risk it with a coach full of passengers and the possible finacial implications of them all missing the flight because of snow/accident/breakdown etc.

Even though I know the reason, I still found it tough to get up a 2am for a 1pm flight when leaving Tignes last year.
snow report
landlockedpirate wrote:
madlondoner wrote:

They do this so you dont miss a flight. While you might want to risk setting off for the airport with only just enough time to get there, the TO's cant risk it with a coach full of passengers and the possible finacial implications of them all missing the flight because of snow/accident/breakdown etc.

Even though I know the reason, I still found it tough to get up a 2am for a 1pm flight when leaving Tignes last year.

And that is the main reason we, despite the cost, always do a private transfer it just makes it much more civilised both ways and usually allows us to get a half day in on arrival and not get up at stupid o'clock on departure day.
snow conditions
Why would it be down to ski hosting? I was under the impression that ski hosting was mostly a "small" duty added to the main one, i.e. no staff was dedicated to hosting only..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy