Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

first family ski trip. looking for advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello, just joined and would appreciate some advice please.
my wife, myself and our 6 year old son are going to soldeu in march next year. I've been skiing once many years ago and snowboarding twice more recently. Wife and son have never tried it. So, a few questions if I may.
Are those short mlni skis suitable for begginers?
Any reccomendations for lessons in soldeu, not too expensive? Are there Independent teachers or do I go with the ones from the resort website?
Where is the best place to buy lift passes and hire our gear from?
Apologies for all the questions but ive not got much of a clue and want us to have a good time without being ripped off.
Many thanks in advance and if I've missed anything important, please let me know. Accommodation is sorted. Friend has apartment he's letting us use.
[/b]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boggy, Welcome to snowheads. You'll get plenty of advice over the next few day's, so keep checking. I haven't skied there, so can be of little use, but I do advise you to keep checking your thread over the next few days. I'm sure you will get lots of good advice. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boggy, if you go to a ski hire shop and tell them you are beginners, they will sort you out with skis suitable for you. You might get more specific advice about rental shops/ski instructors/lift passes etc in resort if you put in the title of your thread that you are going to Soldeu. I'm sure you'll have a great trip Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boggy, Welcome to the forum.

Assuming you are not going to purchase a load of new ski equipment then @Gämsbock is spot on. Book online in advance and the shop will sort you out with all the gear. If its not right they normally let you swap it. Choosing 'the best' hire shop is a bit subjective as different people have different experiences. However, regulars to Soldeu will no doubt give recommendations.

Most resorts have a few ski tuition services to choose between. Don't know about independents and you would need to check on there background. Lesson wise you can go in groups or pay for private lessons. Private is way better but costs more.

List passes. You can normally book these direct online with most resorts and collect on arrival. This can save a few £ but not enough top lose sleep over.

Clothes. Two arguments. Buy the basics budget to midrange as you do not know if your family will enjoy it but this can be false economy. Buy decent gear first time round but this is not cheap and may be a waste. If possible borrow from friends to 'test the water (albeit frozen)'. See articles on here for newbie gear.

Have a great trip. I have a 6 yr old who enjoys it and a nearly 4 yr old who will be skiing first time this yr.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we took ours to santa caterina... loved it, small place for the kids
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi boggy, I've not been to Soldeu therefore can't provide any location specific advice, however if your accommodation is through a friend they are likely to be familiar?
For ski hire we always organise before we go choosing a shop near to accommodation:
http://www.alpinresorts.com/en/ski-rental/andorra/gran-valira/soldeu/map promo code "news133" (current special offer) or "SNOWBALL"
http://www.best-price-ski-rental.com/
http://www.snowbrainer.com/en/ski-rental promo code "BLUERUN"
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

You can normally book these direct online with most resorts and collect on arrival. This can save a few £ but not enough top lose sleep over.

but also, more usefully, can save you a whole lot of time and hassle when you're not familiar with the routines. Some resorts will post them to your UK address. BUT - ask the ski school what passes you will need - in some places (don't know Soldeu) you won't need a normal pass to start with, either because there are free lifts or because there are "points passes" which will do you for a few days on shorter lifts.

You will probably all be in different ski lesson groups. Try to make sure you sign up with a school where you will start and finish at the same time in the same place (and as near as possible to your accommodation).

No, those "mini skis" are not a good idea; instructors will frown at them. Adult beginners unless they're immensely heavy will normally have skis about chin height - the 6 year old a bit shorter, maybe chest height. Longer will just need too much muscling around.

Don't forget winter sports insurance!

Never been to Andorra but the standard of ski instruction there seems to be well thought of. Yes, private lessons can be better sometimes, and at higher levels, but they are expensive and group beginner lessons can be a whole lot of fun.

Have a great holiday. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Soldeau is absolutely great for beginners - they have excellent slopes and great ski schools. There are ski rentals at the lifts that were very helpful when we were there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Where are you staying?, we too have a friend with an apartment in Soldeu, my children are almost as old as I was when I first went there in 1986, the ski school is run by Gordon, an English guy, we are normally there at 1/2 term when there are lots of other kids, our 6 yr old daughter loved the kids group lessons but if you email the ski school, they will give you an idea how many other kids will be there when you are going.
skischool@soldeu.ad

We usually get our gear from this place that is on the main road a few yards down from the main gondola station, they will ask you what experience you have and give you the appropriate gear. There is the Aspen bar / restaurant next door that serves good value food as you come off the slopes (our kids would be monsters if we made them wait till the usual 7:30 evening meal time)
http://www.picnegre.com/en/ski-snowboard-bicycles-shops-andorra-shop-pic-negre-8-soldeu-100m-gondola/29

We hire a ski locker at the bottom gondola station rather than cart ski gear back to the apartment

Don't waste money on expensive label ski gear, Lidl / Aldi stuff is fine, it has kept me warm & dry in some seriously wild weather which you are very unlikely to find in Andorra in March, staying cool and avoiding sunburn are more likely problems.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you all very much for all your help and information
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy