Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanting to do a season but don't want to work!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm hoping to do a season next year (I know it's a way off, but with this season starting, I need something snow based to keep my mind at ease!). I'm in a fortunate position where my work is happy to grant me a "career break" for the whole of next winter, and as a result of this, I don't want to work! I've got enough time currently to save up a really decent amount (circa £10k - may need more depending on location?) in order to ensure I won't need to work for the season. I just want to ski!

Firstly, I'm 25 and I suspect that most people who are off to do a season who are in my age range, are going to be working and will only have half a day to ski. I'm slightly concerned that without work I'll find it slightly harder to meet people to ski with on a daily basis. Has anyone been in my situation and found this to be an issue?

Secondly, I'm a keen off piste/ski tourer and would like to spend as little time on piste as I can (don't we all?), which makes my resort choice difficult. I've done cat skiing in BC, and 10 days with a guide in Japan but skiing this sort of terrain without a guide and with minimal (no qualifications) knowledge of snowpacks, I can't see myself being able to take full advantage of the snow on offer in these areas. Has anyone gone for a season on their own in my position and signed up to any off piste clubs which spend most days off the beaten track no matter the location? I love the idea of BC or Japan for the season but I'm just a little concerned having people to go and ski powder with!

One of my possible choices was to have a base resort in Europe somewhere, and then buy a winter prepped camper van to do multi-day journeys to chase the snow across the continent. Has anyone done anything of the sort? Is it more hassle than it's worth? Would I just find myself in the resort with the expense of a camper van with very little or no use?

Any help you can provide would be really useful. I know it's a long way ahead it helps pass the days! These questions are a little outside the norm, and I've not really found many results from my searches!

Thanks in advance,

Chris
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reckon most people are going to be too full of envy to offer you sensible advice Very Happy

I've not bummed a season so don't have real world experience except to say that I did ski with some people who were bumming when I worked my season. You tend to hang about in the same bars and begin to recognise people on the mountain.

WHile your campervan idea sounds great, I think it would be even harder to meet people if you don't have roots. I would pick one of the larger off-piste "meccas" of which Chamonix is the most obvious but perhaps Verbier, Engelberg, St Anton might be others and rent a room for the season. Find out where the saisonaires bars are and get talking to people. Although you don't want to work, you might find that getting a bit of bar work in the right places or something similar might be a good way of meeting people and making your money go further. Perhaps also consider booking yourself on an avalanche skills course early in the season? Might meet people with similar interests and being credible and well equipped probably helps you find ski partners? Could also consider some alpine skills training so you know the basics on glacier travel etc?

Just some ideas. You'll probably get better advice from the Chamonix contingent soon although you might be better posting this in
a) off piste
b) single skiers
forums
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Chrisssyg, I have no advice for you other than to say have fun!! Im Jealous. Now at 30yo with a child, my chance has gone HOWEVER this is my 50's plan in the hope that my now 2yo will fancy upping and doing a family season Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Although you don't want to work, you might find that getting a bit of bar work in the right places or something similar might be a good way of meeting people and making your money go further

I'd agree with that, even just to have something to do a few days a week. Bear in mind if you finish skiing around three or four the in the afternoon, you could have about eight + hours with nothing to do....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@moseyp, .... but drink Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
just go to La Grave
accommodation is cheap, esp if you stay in one of the little villages above the town
more off piste/touring than you can shake a stick at esp if you have a car
friendly feel to the place - I would be amazed if you didn't find people to ski with, and share their knowledge of the mountains pretty quickly
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For me working a season was all part of the experience. You meet people that become friends for life and having a support network of colleagues helps you through the tougher times. I can imagine doing a season without working on your own will be a very isolating experience unless you spend lots of money in a bar!

It may seem impossible to imagine but there will be days when you just want to do something other than ski.

I'd say get a job doing something or you may find yourself driving home when the January blues arrive.

Another option is go with a friend.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well I'm kind of doing the same from jan in St Anton, though I will look for a part time job in the evenings, nights are long and boring once you get fed up of drinking every night, also hoping it will make me feel less guilty about all the fun I intend to be having.... if the snow comes wink

Also a good way to make friends

The camper thing is really hard unless you are amazingly sociable and not worried about being super cheeky with new friends or breaking a few rules along the way.

Also yeah, not really an equipment question wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another idea is Crystal use 'weekend reps' where I think the deal is they get accom and maybe ski hire in exchange for being a rep on the weekend. this strikes me as a great idea as you'd meet people from crystal with ease and immediately have a base of people to ski with. This is from experience where I'm about to go on my 3rd season.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lots of ways of doing it - e.g. smaller ski towns in Canada will have a fair population of non workers and on a small hill chances are you get to meet people worth knowing pretty quickly. The van thing doesn't really work that well because of season pass economics plus the ballache factor of being cramped in a small cold wet space all the time. I guess you might make it work with something like a Salzburg superski pass.

I think in Europe there is a definite separation between the TO seasonnaires and those that either work independently or don't need to work. It's no big deal it's not like chalet workers with a hangover,with breakfast to feed and cleaning to do are going to be lining up for first bin at 8am with you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did a few seasons in Whistler skiing not working (some time ago now!).
Met loads of people, and don't think I ever recall thinking "wow I wish I had a minimum wage job right now so I could be less bored about having to go skiing everyday, out drinking whenever, or just doing whatever" snowHead wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Did pretty much what you planned for the 2008/9/10 seasons, travelled about in a caravan around CH & AUT until we settled down in Mayrhofen. If youre planning on doing this in Europe, then Austria is the King of winter camping, Switzerland and France less so!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Doing a grand tour will cost you a bomb in lift passes. Over a 100 day season a season pass will cost between 5-8 euros per day, bought daily it would be 25-55 euros per day. Each winter a number of campers turn up in Chamonix, each year they seem to end up in a worse place. Get a cheap appartment.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stuarth wrote:
don't think I ever recall thinking "wow I wish I had a minimum wage job right now so I could be less bored about having to go skiing everyday, out drinking whenever, or just doing whatever" snowHead wink

that reflects my experience of a jobless season! I did have a car which allowed the occasional side trip to break things up - did a few tours with a touring club for example but as others have said, if you do too much travelling around, pass costs can mount up (less so if you are earning your turns obviously.) It's nice to get out of the resort from time to time - I used to head down to Grenoble fairly frequently for a change of scene
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
you will be bored silly. No probs on dudes to ski with as there is always the bar tenders and evening workers out all day.

Forget the bus- plot up in a snowsure resort with a big area. Chamonix is tops and so is Val/Tignes

There is a guy called Piers (ski pierdor) in Val who can sort you out with a seasons accomodation at a reasonable rent but I agree with all you will need a part time job to evade going bonkers

Only so many JAGERMEITERs one can drink

I did 8 seasons in Austria and the working makes u part of the workers community - and a whole lot more fun
snow report
I did this last season, in Chamonix, and with my own car. There were a few times I found it a bit quiet mid-week, though I had a bunch of friends visiting from Geneva every weekend, and could drive back to my place in Geneva any time to see other friends.

It was very easy to meet people in resort (though I'm a youngish, Irish, blond girl!), and the Chamonix season pass did allow trips to other resorts which was really good for variety.

If you're fairly outgoing and pleasant, and happy to hang around bars occasionally, you won't have a problem. I very quickly made friends with a number of bar staff, and then all their friends. Remember they are there for the same reasons as you, they just happen to have to do the odd shift to pay for it - so very easy to talk to.

I had no regrets - it was fantastic and I'm so glad I did it. I only wish I could afford to do the same again this year! I'll be back in Cham and have an apartment again, but taking the whole winter off not working isn't an option this time unfortunately Smile
snow conditions
I am obviously a total granddad because I find it quite possible to spend an evening in a ski resort without doing any of the following: working, getting s4itfaced, or being bored
YMMV
snow report
thegunners wrote:
you will be bored silly. No probs on dudes to ski with as there is always the bar tenders and evening workers out all day.

Forget the bus- plot up in a snowsure resort with a big area. Chamonix is tops and so is Val/Tignes

There is a guy called Piers (ski pierdor) in Val who can sort you out with a seasons accomodation at a reasonable rent but I agree with all you will need a part time job to evade going bonkers

Only so many JAGERMEITERs one can drink

I did 8 seasons in Austria and the working makes u part of the workers community - and a whole lot more fun

...and for those that say working is essential to not be bored and lonely, just so you can quantify how much more fun it was, how many seasons did you do where you had a stack of cash and didn't work?
Obviously I can't compare whether I might have had more fun if I had been working, but I think we did alright Cool
latest report
I'm about to do my third season running... I use Austria as a base, staying at our own Flangesax's gasthaus, and i find that with my friends out there and the constant stream of sHs arriving I am rarely without someone to ski with. The pass covers 44 resorts for only £500 so it is pretty cost effective. Throw in touring and some climbing and it's a fun filled winter. A car is pretty vital though for a long term visit, it gives you so much flexibility.
snow report
Quote:

I am obviously a total granddad because I find it quite possible to spend an evening in a ski resort without doing any of the following: working, getting s4itfaced, or being bored

Laughing me too.
snow conditions
Quote:

It's not just "an evening" though, slopes close mid-afternoon and then you've about eight hours in a village with very limited amenities, every evening, for several months.
ski holidays
Quote:

then you've about eight hours in a village with very limited amenities, every evening, for several months.

sounds just like Life. wink A friend of mine, who did 2 years as a VSO in a very remote spot with a lot fewer "amenities" than the average ski resort became hooked on bridge. wink Not everybody needs hours and hours of "entertainment" every day. And if you want to keep very fit and get out on the first lift in the morning, once you're home, showered, changed, maybe had something to eat and a glass of something, it's maybe more like 3 hours. Sounds good to me.
latest report
Apart from meals, night tours, the night Slalom for women and men on different dates, wild camping, sledging down from huts, bowling, climbing walls, going to Salzburg for a night out, catching local bands... it really all depends on how much you want to get out there and see what is going on. The interwebz is your friend Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Quote:

Not everybody needs hours and hours of "entertainment" every day

I'm not talking about entertainment though, I'm suggesting the OP doesn't totally discount the idea of working part-time so that she can meet people. I understand not wanting a busy TO job that eats into ski time - but a few hours in a bar or restaurant several evenings a week isn't a terrible idea and aside from making friends, she could also potentially learn a new language/earn some extra cash and add a little bit of structure to the week.

Quote:

And if you want to keep very fit and get out on the first lift in the morning, once you're home, showered, changed, maybe had something to eat and a glass of something, it's maybe more like 3 hours
if you're out on first lifts every morning there's a good chance you might be finish up earlier than last lifts and shaving an hour or two off for shower/change/meal you'll probably have about eight hours realistically (and that's going to bed quite early too....)
ski holidays
Well this has definitely brought out some differing opinions! Thanks to everyone who has posted up with their thoughts and experiences so far. I realise I'll be in a really fortunate position with not having to rely on work to keep afloat. Does £10k sound plenty? Not enough? About right? I'm not really a huge drinker so the beer bills won't be very horrendous!

I think the idea of a part time, maybe one or two nights a week, job in a bar would be a good idea - if only just to mingle and get to meet other seasonaires. I probably should have mentioned that it was really full time (chalet host etc..) sort of jobs I don't want to do. Good thinking! I'm just keen to not have any job restricting powder days/hitting the first lift. I quite like the initial idea of being a weekend rep as well potentially, but this does mean there's a possibility I'll miss out on good snow - it's something I'll look into for certain. Thanks for the tip! I can always leave the job once I've found some good ski buddies!

It clearly seems that La Grave/Chamonix would be a good idea to head to if I decide to go to Europe, with the possibility of Austria too (going for the first time this season, so I'll have that experience to help decide on location soon) in order to meet like minded people!

The idea of some of these season passes which cater for different areas is definitely what I'd be after. I'll be taking my Land Rover with me for the season, so I'll have good transport to get to other resorts for day trips which wouldn't be the end of the world. Sounds like the camper van is (as I suspected) possibly a little more hassle than it's worth. A hostel or something would probably be better for overnight stops in different resorts.

As for location, thanks for the feedback from people who've spent some time in Canada doing seasons - the prospect of snow over there is very tempting but the lack of transport and distance between resorts would limit my resort hopping. Has anyone tried somewhere like Revelstoke for a season not working? The lure of a season in Niseko is great, but I suspect my slight worries in having people to ski with would be slightly higher there!

Any more feedback/experiences anyone can give is greatly appreciated. I've learned a lot already! And oops, I'll make sure I post in the correct area next time! NehNeh

Thank you all!

Chris
ski holidays
Chrisssyg, I did a full season without working two years ago, in Chamonix. Wrote a short retrospective about it here (with cost breakdown further down the page).

I'm returning to Cham this coming season but for only two to three months, depending on the snow. This time, there will be a lot more people I know with whom I can ski/hang out. I love my own company and don't need to go out to have a good time but having people to talk to is important if you're going to be there alone for five months. If I do it again, in a new resort where I know no one, I'd get a part-time bar tending job (one or two nights a week) to provide opportunities to meet people.

Go for it, you will have an absolute blast snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

La Grave/Chamonix

La Grave and Chamonix are two very different places, nowhere near each other - Chamonix would offer more variety. Though Les Deux Alpes - next door to La Grave - would also be a possibility. And cheaper.
latest report
@Chrisssyg, I usually manage a full season in AUT for 4.5 - 5.5k sterling.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whatever happens you will love it on the whole, and have some great memories Cool
ski holidays
Hokkaido

You can rent a place in the Niseko Resort Area for about £500 / month.

Get a car, get here for Opening Day, get up early and you'll have no problem finding people to ski with.
snow conditions
@Chrisssyg, the chamonix season pass is currently on sale online at a huge discount which finishes at the end on November. If you get the full pass it covers 8 days in verbier and unlimited Courmayeur plus a number of away days. Plenty for a season, but look sharp.
latest report
@Chrisssyg, I'd seriously recommend you look at staying in St Anton valley. Say in Pettneu where you'll get decent appartment for 6/700€ a month on a season rent and get out there early December and start networking, there's plenty of expats and locals who you'll hook up with for skiing. Regards transport just use buses but take a car for day trips out to Solden, Ischgl, Obergurgl, Innsbruck etc. you could drive over to Verbier or Cham for a week to break it up but use St Anton as your base. Sounds awesome, might even see you for some turns. Usually there for 2-3 weeks myself. Good luck!
ski holidays
Quote:

Plenty for a season, but look sharp.

she's not going till next year, @jbob wink
snow report
With that sort of cash, think about an instructor course with the likes of Alltracks or Basecamp. Good way to meet people, and lots of them stick around for the rest of the season once the course ends.
ski holidays
@Scarpa, out of curiosity, has your snake got a pet passport?
snow report
Doing something similar this season starting 3rd January. I am at the opposite end of the spectrum - early retirement in 2 weeks! Facts to date:

Chamonix for 4 months

Apartment/studio in Les Pelerins (5 mins bus from CX), sleeps up to 4, but I like a bit of space - £1,000 a month

Annual lift pass (includes summer climbing use) £950

Ski tuning course & equipment from Jon at the Piste Office £300

My total budget for 4 months, including 3 other season passes for the family (for many visits), 4 winter tyres, 2 new pairs of skis, & a fund for tuition/guiding, is less than £10,000.
latest report
HammondR, Have a wonderful winter. Tell us how it goes!

Hello Lizzard, snowHead
snow conditions
Thing is when people visit La Grave they fall for a certain romanticised image of the way of life and think it's a cool place to hang out. (which indeed it is).

When we were looking to buy I seriously considered there and some of the other villages as I knew a few peeps, however I let my head rule and not my heart.

As I do know that doing a whole season in La Grave you could well go stir crazy there if conditions were not up to scratch etc etc and as much as it's a lovely village, it is just that a village and after 18:30 it does get very quiet as there are simply not that many seasonaires there because there are so little commercial working opportunities and associated social life especially if you're 25.

You also have various "tribes" there and you'd have to ask yourself how would you fit in ?

I think the likes of Chamonix / Tignes etc would probably be far better along with a whole host of other locations.

Nice position to be in though, wish I could have done that at 25, but can't complain about how things have panned out Cool
snow report
@pam w,
Cheers Pam

You & others provided me with lots of helpful information about a year ago on my 1st post "Squats - helping or hindering a poorly knee".

In order to reduce my overall level of ignorance I am planning to enroll at the language school in Chamonix to buff up my French. As luck would have it, my son can come out for 9 weeks in total, & others for various periods.

Come on body, don't fail me now.
ski holidays
Have a wonderful winter, have a loose plan to do something like this once we have finished putting to kids through uni, so looking forward to hearing how this works for you. Our plan would be to do this in Austria.@HammondR, snowHead snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy