Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year week - what would you do?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm already booked for Christmas week in the Dolomites (Santa Cristina, two SC apartments for two families). Slight trepidation watching the snow forecasts but lots of time left until we need to worry.

The three of us are going to stay in the mountains for the New Year week, but accommodation isn't booked so we have a (limited) choice of where to go. We have a car so moving to a different resort in the area would not be a problem, same goes for another area altogether - but I would like to limit the drive to 2-3 hrs so that would mean Austria or possibly Switzerland as options.

Would you just book the NY week now to make sure there's some choice left, or leave it to the last moment to follow the snow? If booking now - Dolomites or something more snow-sure?

Standard: my son is following me on a good number of offpiste runs, wife is low intermediate who may or may not ski.

Cost is a partial issue, we're not looking for dirt-cheap but wouldn't like to pay over 2k euros for accommodation, either!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tempting to wait but suspect could be frustrating and expensive - it is a peak week after all.
How about Sud Tyrol? I had a good time I Solda / Sulden Am Ortler. It is has some VERY high skiing so should be very snow sure. It's a bit different - they hardly seem to see a Brit there.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jedster, thanks, had never heard of that area, might need to check it out...not sure yet about basing myself there for a full week.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@horizon, one of the apartments I look after has had a cancellation for New Year week come in today. Contact holidayloverxx if it may be of interest.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@horizon, and here I am... 4 hours away really, but under €800 for the week for a super snowhead. see signature for website
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jedster, Dolomites ARE Sud Tirol, aren't they? Most of the locals speak German rather than Italian, and most towns have German and Italian names...

@horizon, I'd go somewhere on the Northern side of the ALps for the second week, then no matter how the weather plays out at least one of your weeks should be on good snow.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

@jedster, Dolomites ARE Sud Tirol, aren't they? Most of the locals speak German rather than Italian, and most towns have German and Italian names...

yes... thought about that after I posted but showing my lack of experience - skied in most parts of Italy but not the Dolomites amazingly. Solda/Sulden Am Ortler is further north though close to Switzerland and closer to Austrian border. I mentioned it as somewhere a bit different - it's not the Dolomites.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@horizon, what about St. Anton or Stuben? (though it might not be easy to get a booking for the New Year's week now as they have A LOT of repeat business from regulars returning every year for that week).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@horizon, looking at the map, ... you'll surely find something for NY, maybe not somewhere special or in a super popular area, but somewhere? e.g. you could even, f'r instance, base yourself in Innsbruck which I imagine isn't quite completely full at NY?

So wait for now, for snow... (all the really popular and cool places will have been booked for months anyway):
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jedster wrote:
Quote:

yes... thought about that after I posted but showing my lack of experience - skied in most parts of Italy but not the Dolomites amazingly. Solda/Sulden Am Ortler is further north though close to Switzerland and closer to Austrian border. I mentioned it as somewhere a bit different - it's not the Dolomites.

I'm not really up on that area so much either - I've only spent 1 week in the Dolomites. WOuld love to go there for a longer period though - some really amazing mountains. What's Sulden like? Also filled with couloirs?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wrote a trip report on it a few years back. The following is from memory. Note - not to be confused with Sulden in Austria
It is an old village at 1800m in a high valley. It's surrounded by 4 big mountains close to 4000m (Ortler is the highest, about 3900 I think) - great scenery). There are three distinct ski areas which are just about linked up (bit of poling/skating required). The two lower ones are fairly small and include some tree skiing - I'd say between 1800m and 2500m.
The bigger area goes up above 3000m and includes a lift served bowl at 2500-3000. There are some steep couloirs down the front of this area back to the valley but the best bit is the back of the top bowl - massive off-piste area with more than 1000m of vertical to the valley. Plenty of hiking / slack country touring options over the back too. Hut to Hut touring for late season looks excellent as well.

That probably got your attention!

Downsides:
bit of a schlep to get to. We flew to Innsbruck and drove 2-2.5 hours over some high passes - dodgy in a storm!
quiet village. very quiet. bit strung out, mainly hotels for eating and drinking
shocking pop music everywhere

I do recommend it though - must have the best off-piste (almost) noone has heard of
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/snowheads-personal-galleries/p15346-back-of-schontaufspitze.html

Thought as much - some pics in my gallery
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jedster, That is the Stelvio Pass area where the Italian team train in the off-season/early season.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't remember the year but I spent a February week based in Selva and there had been hardly any recent snow so I spent a week on the best artificial snow I've ever seen. Until I got to the high point above Selva I hadn't even realised but the view was of green fields split by white motorways. The locals said that their only concern was that the reservoirs only had a week to go. Just hope that it'll be cold enough for the cannons!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy