Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Protecting Skis in Transport

Poster: A snowHead
Fresh off a course with spyderjon led me to thinking about transporting my skis on my trip.

How do you guys protect your ski's bases and edges during transit via plane, train or automobile to prevent undoing all the hard work that you have put in getting them all nicely prepped?

I just have a simple Dakine ski bag which has plenty of movement in it when the skis are in. Do you put something between the 2 bases to stop them rubbing or something over the edges to stop them getting damaged?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If I can be bothered I use rubber straps to lift the binding brakes up and then use velcro straps tip and tail, the good ones have a piece of foam that goes in between the bases...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skis are designed to be thrown down big mountains for of snow, ice and rock. They don't need to be wrapped up in cotton wool.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TheDoctor, I use a rigid plastic rectangular tube. Don't think they rattle around too much.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You put them in a bag?

You're spoiling them wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mine travel in a SporTube hard case, but then I fly enough to only ever use good hard cases!

I've sat at departure gates watching the baggage throwers and chuckled to myself as all our bags sat out in the rain next to the plane for 4 hours. My clothes were dry when we got to the resort, not so much my friends using soft bags.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers all, just got on the googles, found a site doing personalised straps with rubber so separate the skis slightly. Going to plum for them just to keep them a little more secure in transit. Also a little fun pressie for the other half. But what should I make the slogan be? Hmm....

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 25-11-14 10:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can see it now, xmas moring round the tree:

"Not rubber strapping for christmas again darling"
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well these and the lump of ski wax I've just bought her, what could go wrong... Puzzled snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The best way to preserve the condition skis is to not transport them. Whatever you do don't ski on them as this is very bad for them.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@TheDoctor, Ski ties at tip and tail, kitchen towel between bases tip and tail if your ski ties don't. If you really want to protect them -- don't scrape and then scrape in the lift queue...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Frosty the Snowman, Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I reckon some people do a lot more damage roughly kicking the bindings to get snow and ice off their boots than is likely to happen in transit. Mine travel naked, strapped on the top of the car. Doesn't seem to do them any great harm.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Frosty the Snowman, Exactly.

I can't get over the fact that not only do some people actually allow their skis to slide (SLIDE!!) down a mountain, but they do this with no wrapping whatsoever, and get this, they STAND on them!! Guaranteed to cause damage!

In all seriousness though, if its one pair in a bag, I wouldn't worry at all, if its two then I just put something to make sure the bindings aren't rubbing on the other skis.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm more concerned about protecting the bag from the skis as a previous bag got well ripped by the edges! Now I pack 2 pairs, one of which is without bindings, one on top of the other and get the largest size foam pipe lagging made up into 4 V shapes and slot the skis into this: ski bag is still intact, as are the skis.....
latest report
I just put a bit of card (or even tissue) between the skis where the bases first contact ; then a couple of 'ski ties' the hold them together and pop them in a bag (unpadded) - never had a problem (yet..!)
snow report
TheDoctor, I have a Sportstube hard case that I used a couple of time to ship my skis by courier (couriers won't handle anything that isn't in a box or hard case). You're welcome to it if you can collect from London, it's just gathering dust and taking up space. For air travel, I just use a standard soft ski bag because, you know, what people said above ^
snow conditions
I use door jamb protectors for ski/binding protection when flying- basically giant versions of pipe insulation.

Do a google search for Door jamb protectors - cost around £7-£9 a throw OR they are very often discarded on building site skips - ask before removing..

http://www.protection.co.uk/products/flame-retardant-door-jamb-protector/
snow conditions
Foam kip mat (about a fiver) wrapped around them with a strap in a ski bag, then wrap clothes around them the mat until you reach 12 kg. Simple.
latest report
Couple of ski ties.

The slippers go over the tips n'tails and a bit of bubble wrap/foam (or whatever packing you get from John Lewis with the christmas orders) around the bindings.
snow conditions
I just wait until in the resort before servicing skis. That way the method of transportation cannot possibly undo your good work.
snow report
RobW wrote:
I just wait until in the resort before servicing skis.

Which brings up the question of how to transport your tuning table safely wink
snow report
Cheers Zero_G. I am in London and thanks for the offer but I'll pass. I was more intrigued on peoples methods of getting the skis to resort with their edges still perfectly intact and no nicks in them from them rattling around even after a baggage handler has thrown them about a bit. First set of skis and first trip with them. Didn't even know about ski ties.
As for bindings, I hadn't even thought of that. Good shout with the pipe insulation/door jams Markpoint.
Loving the slippers idea muppet, I am sure I'll get some horrendous ones for Xmas which I could repurpose. Ha! Laughing
latest report
Here's one of the big advantages of using inserts. With the bindings off, skis will 'spoon' nicely.

I roll all the pairs together using some tough bubble wrap ensuring there's a layer of bubbles between skis. I tie the ends so they spring together and don't rattle apart and put the whole lot in a tough nylon bag.
snow report
@Mosha Marc, I don't bother with a tuning table when away. Just take the vices and clamp them to the apartment balcony rail or similarly convenient bit of wood. The 50' extension lead out of the fourth-story window can get a bit obvious, although I've never had an actual complaint.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Skis are designed to be thrown down big mountains for of snow, ice and rock. They don't need to be wrapped up in cotton wool.

+1

Are you going to do a WC race or something, will you notice a few edge nicks? wink

I used to wrap them up all carefully, but really they take a much worse beating than even the worse luggage handler can manage when in use - except maybe bending them in half and there's not much you can do about that (and a friend managed to do that to his on the slope too!)

Now getting ready for transportation involves picking them up, putting them in the truck - done snowHead
ski holidays
Herr Doctor......................

If on a plane or train, separate the base to base contact points with paper/newspaper or something similar, add a velcro ski strap up front once locked via the brake, put into a dedicated bag which also serves for cloting or something else. If by car, inside a car, bag or no bag, they're fine. However......., if being transported outside a car on a rack, sounds absurd but........, wrap the skis in two garbage bags joined by duct tape with additional duct tape up at the shovel or rear so the air stream does not case annoying flutter, slit open after removal from rack. The mucked up garbage bags which are tossed speaks volumes. Re-wrap again for the trip home. So much crap - mag chloride, salt, dirt, etc. gets on unprotected skis on racks and wrecks havoc with the entire ski and binding.
latest report
@equinoxranch, The binding is the main concern... they can get pretty corroded unprotected.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@equinoxranch, can i have some of whatever meds you are on please. Happy
latest report
@stuarth for me personally if I've taken all the time to get the edges tuned etc I'd rather reap as many benefits from that as possible. Just the way I am. Tend to treat all my toys with as much care as I can.
@equinoxranch cheers for that. Taken note and will implement. Only 3 weeks 3 days till we go. Can't wait!!!
snow conditions
I only got my skis last year, so I'm still "a bit precious" about them. Mine travel in a reasonably padded bag (http://www.amazon.co.uk/BENTLEY-SINGLE-PADDED-EXTENDABLE-HOLDALL/dp/B004IJUZ7C?tag=amz07b-21) and I've wrapped the tips and tails in bubble wrap and put some bubble wrap around the bindings. I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but it makes me feel better. I like the idea of the door jamb protector though.
snow report
I usually strap the skis together if there's only one pair in a bag but that's about it, my skis have never been damaged in transit but my poles get really beat up from the skis. I also just shipped some skis from germny to the Uk with a courier and they were quite happy for them to be a soft bag.
snow conditions
Old tights over them to protect the base contact near the tips, wrap them up in hoarded bubblewrap and then strap into bag with the clasps. pad rest out with salopettes etc. Yes they get thrown around, skiied on, scraped up and mashed on the mountain but you gotta at least try and take care of getting them out to resort regardless of the beating you give them when you get there! At least if you mash them on the mountain thats more your choice (exception of lift queues...!)

I've seen what the baggage handlers do to them...I paid enough to buy the planks, so I'm gonna do my upmost to protect them when someone else is moving them around! Smile
snow report
clarky999 wrote:

This.
latest report
clarky999 wrote:

This.
snow report
I wrap the skis up to protect the bag they are in, and the other stuff in the bag from their sharp edges.
ski holidays
@TheDoctor,

Thanx Doc............... I know it sounds silly, but the garbage bag/duct tape two step has served me well for so, so many years if I am forced to have to use an outside carrier that exposes skis. When I see skiers on the road with their skis on the carrier unprotected and realize how destroyed those skis are by the time they get to the slopes, for that matter get home it's no small wonder so many gomers, I mean skiers have a hard time skiing as per their equipment all junked up. Mag chloride which is manifold in the USA, as well pure salt so tear through a ski..................... I say take great care of one's equipment - that too - and it will take care of you. The easy thing with the garbage bag/duct tape is that for the trip home it easily stuffs into/takes up no rooms in most repository within most cars.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy