Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stuff you take on a season

Poster: A snowHead
Not the standard stuff such as jacket etc, more the unusual.

I'll start with Playing Cards.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Marmite, English mustard, teabags
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wrote a blog post recently with everything I'll be taking, and some common suggestions that others like but I personally don't feel the need for. A few examples I've heard many times: Extension plug with multiple sockets comes up a lot in suggestions, condoms should also be mentioned, Berroca/your hangover cure of choice, an external hard disk loaded with movies to watch... the list goes on Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Heinz lentil soup.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

condoms should also be mentioned

"Stay Safe In the Mountains" Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Loads of batteries, especially for tranceiver, etc. They cost a fortune over there (in France anyway)!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PAYG Mobile phone with local SIM card, and even better a list of places with free wifi so you can Wattsapp rather than use SIM.

Ipad.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
livetoski wrote:

"Stay Safe In the Mountains" Toofy Grin

Exactly wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm thinking my German Guide is a must.

@Markymark29, - Is it easy to get hold of a cheap phone and local SIM?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Daleybou1234, I guess you just walk into a local mobile shop (not in resort but in biggest local town) and buy a cheap one like the locals do.......or maybe you can just buy a SIM and put it into your own UK handset? I know all the expat guides do that rather than using non-domicile SIM's. Keep your good UK iphone/ android with you for when you are on wifi in bars/ cafe's etc and want to get online FOC via Whatsapp/ Facetime etc, but use the cheap one for talking to other "locals", free data and cheap calls etc. I knwo there's supposed to be a Europe flat rate coming in but I dont think its about yet, just dont want to get caught out do you?

Also if youve got a Go pro (and if you havent you need one wink ) 2-3 spare micro SD's, and a micro SD/ ipad adaptor for downloading movies. maybe need a laptop with you if you're down loading loads of movies because you'll soon fill up a ipad.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
10 years ago I took a portable DVD player!!! Pretty sure these aren't used these days rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I vaguely remember seeing cheep mobile phones and SIM cards in Super U
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
Heinz Muligatawny soup.

FIFY Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
would it be terribly elderly to suggest teabags?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lemsip, benylin, bongela, aspirins and if you are smelly - deodorant.

> I vaguely remember seeing cheep mobile phones

Q. Have you got any mobile phones going cheep?
A. No they all go "ring ring".
latest report
@Markymark29, I'm flying into Salzburg so will hopefully get a phone for cheap there, iphone for everything is going to be a must, but leaving my iPad back at home. Not got a GoPro, want one, but put off by the £400 price of the Hero4, not sure how good the original is but looks a lot cheaper.
ski holidays
Kettle.
snow conditions
Some friends of ours who live out in France during the winter asked us to re-stock them with paracetomol (they swear the French stuff isn't as good) and Schwartz Hot Chilli Powder when we've been out to see them!!
ski holidays
pretty sure that soup, johnnies, deodorant, chilli powder and kettles are available there. even when I went to the jungle for a few months, you could get that lot in a 8-á-huit.
marmite going rate here is €7.99 for 125g jar, so that's worth packing. and since anything more pharmaceutical than toothpaste needs interaction with a fully qualified medical pharmacist (certainly in every non-UK country I've worked in), slinging in a pack of lemsip can't do any harm.

prolly be a pack of cards there too, but at least a UK pack will have the right letters on the picture cards.
snow report
@Daleybou1234, why would you leave your ipad at home? It will be great for loads of stuff plus not much space, I guess it might get pinched depending where you will be living.
ski holidays
@Daleybou1234, Go for GoPro 3 Black, nice and cheap now all the gear junkies are selling them to buy 4, also get 2 batteries
ski holidays
In France, the only things I really felt I needed to take last season:

- 4 gang extension blocks. Very useful for plugging UK stuff in.
- ibuprofen, paracetamol cough and cold medicine. Cheap as chips in UK. Pricey as anything in France
- Sky Go on laptop and iPad with HMA Pro VPN hider to fool Sky into thinking I was in the UK. All my YV from home beamed straight to me.
- a car. Invaluable (but I wasn't working and drove around the Alps a lot)
- sambal olek. Absolutely brilliant for cooking pretty much anything spicy, nowhere to be found in France
- my favourite sharp kitchen knife. I love cooking. Knives in rental places are invariably rubbish.

Frankly, Skype did for my phone needs and my UK PAYG was fine for emergency calls and wi-fi enabled e-mails when home. I had no need for a French phone. As for taking loads of food, don't bother. French hypermarche's have a better selection of better food at cheaper prices than your average Sainsbury's.
latest report
@jbob, That's my worry. I'm initially staying in a hostel, so a little sceptical about what I'm taking. I'm even leaving some of my higher end fleeces etc at home and taking the cheaper alternatives.

@Markymark29, Cheers Mark, though again worried about it going walk about, though could stay in my jacket I suppose.
snow report
andy wrote:
pretty sure that soup, johnnies, deodorant, chilli powder and kettles are available there. even when I went to the jungle for a few months, you could get that lot in a 8-á-huit.

Not lentil (or muligatawny Laughing) soup! Ingredients to make it are obviously available, but when you're sick, hungover and knackered a tin is prett nice to have. The only Heinz soup I've seen on offer in Austria is the tomato one. And sometimes goulasch/etc just doesn't quite cut it as comfort food.
ski holidays
ah plenty of soups here. definitely lentil, but the the lentil with bits of frankfurters probably won't be so good post hangover or when ill.
very few heinz branded things, but what heinz branded things there are are ones worth taking back to UK, since you can't get them there.
snow conditions
Can't believe no one has written socks!
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm initially staying in a hostel, so a little skeptical about what I'm taking. I'm even leaving some of my higher end fleeces etc at home and taking the cheaper alternatives.

Would have to be some really scummy people/ very bad luck to have your clothes stolen!

My iPad would be on the absolute essential list , inc a VPN so you can watch iPlayer etc
snow report
My stock items in my final season were:

Plenty of base layers, t/shirts/polo shirts for skiing, and ski socks.
A couple of spare (cheap) pairs of ski gloves from TK Maxx / Decathlon (I think I lost 3 gloves in my first season after a few too many beers, always the same hand).
4 way plug socket.
Slow cooker.
Loads of tv series on the laptop.
Large amounts of paracetemol and suncream.
Ipod speakers.
Hip flask.
Fancy dress outfit or two.
Decent kitchen knife.
2 or 3 pairs of cheapish sunglasses (see above, gloves).
Shorts and flip flops for end of season.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
Can't believe no one has written socks!

Ugg boots?
snow report
One thing I've added to my list from last season is a decent pair of goretex walking boots. The cheaper "waterproof" pair I had last year took days to dry after they got wet (inside and out). I took a pair of snowboots too but they only got used for extreme jobs like digging the car out.
ski holidays
Bass guitar, Korg Pandora and headphones. Oh and i-pod and a selection of cables to connect it all Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Money. Lots.
ski holidays
Quote:

Ugg boots?

I've never been able to understand why someone would want to walk around in slushy snow in ugg boots. Goretex makes a lot more sense and there are loads of terrific boots by Sorel, etc.
latest report
they're for dancing in, in the nightclubs. all the fashion, i think.
snow report
What andy said. You can get everything you need there but stock up on basic pharmaceuticals because they are pricey abroad and you can avoid comedy moments with non-English speaking pharmacists.
snow conditions
So many of these depend on your personal habits & what you like to do, or what you'll miss. I find it quite interesting to see other people's essentials - I can understand teabags, but would never have thought of soup Smile

ulmerhutte wrote:
Money. Lots.
- I didn't take much with me, less than £200 last time, to last me through to my first paycheque in January. Just enough to get myself a helmet, some beers, and some pizza on my days off. Managed to save enough over the season for a nice holiday afterwards. Good friend, on the other hand, took at least that much out with him, and spent almost all of his wages each month.
ski holidays
@kat.ryb, maybe I'm being a little over cautious - however I also don't trust myself to mislay them after a few beers.

@Dav, - Hipflask is a good one, definitely needs to be added to my list.

@Claude B, @pam w, - I'm taking my Gore-Tex boots as my everyday around town boot - and going to fly in them. Going to pack a pair of plimmys, though not sure how much use they will get.
latest report
Magimix 5200xl and a waxing iron!
snow conditions
ArcticFox1 wrote:
So many of these depend on your personal habits & what you like to do, or what you'll miss. I find it quite interesting to see other people's essentials - I can understand teabags, but would never have thought of soup Smile

To be fair I could definitely do a season without lentil soup Laughing

It's one of those things (like English teabags) that I have to keep in stock for emergencies though, especially when I can't be bothered to make it myself Laughing

Same with a pack of bacon in the freezer. I do know where to get cheddar now at least, though it's the Cathedral City stuff rather than proper farmhouse.
ski holidays
I am currently preparing a provisions box including:
2lbs M&S medium strength loose leaf tea
4 oz M&S earl grey loose leaf tea
200 M&S teabags
1 teapot
1 tea strainer
5 bags M&S Lazy Weekend ground coffee
3 boxes organic porridge oats
150 cod liver oil tablets