Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking of breaking the Southbound drive

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, this year we are thinking of breaking the drive South and doing some on Friday night and some on Sat morning. We'll be heading Calais - L2A, does anyone have recommendations on good value/cheap places to spend the night?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
when will you be travelling, @cdavies92, and where from? Makes a big difference to the answer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can recommend a place about an hour the otherside of Calais. Very quiet and good value.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It will be early Jan (I think the 2nd/3rd), and from Bedford. Which I guess means looking for something a couple of hours from the channel?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cdavies92, I'm from Bedford. Granted not a winter trip but we've driven down many times to the Alps for summer trips.

This summer we set off on a Friday with a crossing at 9pm-ish (leaving Bedford at about 4pm - and sat on the M25 for a long time). We stayed in a small town called Arques at a "Good Night Hotel" which was about 30-45 mins from Calais. It was your standard £30 a night for a 4 bed family room cheapo hotel, but did the job. There should be lots around closer to the motorway than we stayed in. Have a look for Etap, Campanile, Premiere Classe hotels and you won't go far wrong.

If you have an earlier crossing than we had then obviously aim to get a bit further south before stopping for the night.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@cdavies92, quite a few suggestions here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2488485&highlight=val+moret#2488485

That's a quiet week so not likely to be big hold ups. Personally I wouldn't book - just see how far I got before I was tired.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
@cdavies92, quite a few suggestions here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2488485&highlight=val+moret#2488485

That's a quiet week so not likely to be big hold ups. Personally I wouldn't book - just see how far I got before I was tired.

Agreed, I'd even expect the M25 to be relatively quiet for a Friday that week as lots will take the opportunity to have a longer Christmas/New Year break from work. We booked as we were travelling on one of the peak travel weeks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cheers guys! Will have a browse through that thread.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any of the chain hotels on the motorways will be fine and comfortable for a bed for the night. We very rarely pay much more than £30 but we never want bells and whistles.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just find an F1, you'll pay around €30 for a decent nights sleep.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got cheap deal in a Campanile for 2nd but I'm further north at Laon as not crossing until 4 pm.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:

Again, horses for courses etc, but I just couldn't do that, I need to know I have a room, especially with kids in tow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Its normally cheaper if you prebook and/or prepay. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cdavies92 wrote:
Hi, this year we are thinking of breaking the drive South and doing some on Friday night and some on Sat morning. We'll be heading Calais - L2A, does anyone have recommendations on good value/cheap places to spend the night?

Cheers

On the drive out to the Alps in the Summer from the coast we stop at Chaumont, not far from Troyes - but smaller and more quaint. Have used the central best western hotel, they were doing some work on it in the summer, but should be finished by now.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I just couldn't do that, I need to know I have a room, especially with kids in tow.

indeed, I can see that having the kids makes a difference - I just like to be able to keep on driving if I'm feeling alert (even at midnight) and stop if I'm feeling sleepy and the fog is closing in (even if it's 6 pm). If I'm hungry I'll eat, if not I'll just have a coffee. There are advantages to not having to consider anybody else!
latest report
Hi - we're in Huntingdon so similar times and distances to Bedford. We stopped here last year - http://www.blue-hotel-reims.fr/ . We booked in advance - they have an auto check-in so you can arrive late and leave early - room was warm and clean which was all we wanted, we didn't eat so don't know about that. Its on the edge of a big retail park with I think a big Intermarche hyper, so if you weren't arriving too late there's likely an ok café in there. We travel usually Fridays straight from school so 18.00 or 19.00 tunnel then 2.5 hours empty roads down to Reims. Do make sure you get away in good time in the morning though.
latest report
@pam w, to be honest after a few hours in the car with the kids I just need to know I've got a large gin to look forward to Laughing
ski holidays
We have stayed on the outskirts or Reims (Tinquex) and there are about 3-4 hotels just off the junction of the autoroute. It's about 2.5 hours from Calais. We stayed in the Novotel and it was very nice and not too badly priced, around £70 for a room with double bed and double sofa bed.

It's handy as there is a Carrefour just opposite so you can fill up on cheap petrol there as well as grab a McDonalds (if that's your thing).

Since it's on the junction you can be right on your way sharpish in the morning without too much faff.
latest report
Heading south, if it's a busy time, I'd prefer to be south of the Reims péage gates before stopping for the night.
snow conditions
We usually stay in a chain of hotels called B&B. Located next to motorways and retails parks they are cheap, cheerful and comfortable. Also include Wi-Fi and breakfast which was surprisingly good. We normally stay at the one in St Quentain. Easy to find and great value. Decent website as well...
latest report
We stay at Le Val Moret, a 3-Star Logis de France five minutes off Jct.22 of the A5 just south of Troyes. This is about 4 hours driving from Calais. It's a motel with parking outside the rooms and has a very good but unpretentious restaurant. They also have a nice swimming pool and sauna facility. Here's the website

http://reservation-hotel.logishotels.com/jreservit/changelangcode.do?forward=fichehtl&langcode=EN

Th decor is fairly standard, Travelodge-type , a cut above Campanile but fairly plain. We're fans of the restaurant and make the stop-over evening a part of the holiday. Being close to the Autoroute is a bonus in winter, when generally all you want is to get checked-in and relax after a long day. Parking right outside the room is reassuring as well, when all your valuables are in the car.

This is in the southern Champagne area and they have a good range of Champagnes by the glass.

Just avoid the 'Andouillette Veritables' sausage, unless you're a real fan of chitterlings. It's made from pig's colon (sic) - although its marinade is very tasty, it's the aroma that's the problem. Given it's made of colon, you can guess what it smells of ....... Everything else on offer is excellent, however.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 25-11-14 22:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@msej449, yes, the Val Moret is a favourite - it's always full of GB cars. I have friends who try to stay there because they like to swim. I really CBA, on that drive - I just want to get there, really.
latest report
Boris wrote:
pam w wrote:

Again, horses for courses etc, but I just couldn't do that, I need to know I have a room, especially with kids in tow.

A long time since I had any kids in tow that were young enough to matter, but I can't do it either. Our stops are always planned. I just know on the one occasion I don't that we will end up struggling to find a room.With a tired driver/ hungry hubby it wouldn't be a good combination, and we do need to make sure the dog is welcome. We turned up to one Logis that indicated dogs were welcome to be asked if we were leaving the dog in the car overnight.
Early January may be quiet but we have found that many family run places take a break after a busy Christmas and New Year. We've struggled to find somewhere on a return trip before just after New Year , and on our way South this January our usual stopping points are closed. If I use chain hotels it is usually an IBis or Holiday Inn.
latest report
Accor have a special offer until 28th November of up to 40% off and free breakfasts. We have Mercure at Annemasse booked for our trip down at 59.40 euros including breakfast and a Novotel at Reims Tinqueaux for our trip back at 63.60 euros including breakfast. We normally use one of Ibis, Campanile, etc but these rates are cheaper than their room only rates.
latest report
@Timc, this offer just popped up in my inbox too.
ski holidays
Quote:

We turned up to one Logis that indicated dogs were welcome to be asked if we were leaving the dog in the car overnight.

Shocked Shocked I guess dogs are more difficult than kids - they don't ask you to leave them in the car.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

We turned up to one Logis that indicated dogs were welcome to be asked if we were leaving the dog in the car overnight.

Shocked Shocked I guess dogs are more difficult than kids - they don't ask you to leave them in the car.

Last summer we made the mistake of overnighting in an airless hotel with no AC near Lyon. It was roasting hot all night. It was me who ended up going to sleep on the back seat of the van with the windows wide open.

The hotel receptionist must've wondered what was going on as a barefooted man in just his pants walked past with just a pillow in his hand at 3am after a sleepless night. (I slept like a baby with a nice cross draught from having the windows wide open once in the van).
ski holidays
Another vote for B&B. Me and Mr NN just see how far we get/ what the weather is like and I just book via my iPhone with a bit of Google action.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy