Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les saisies - and Ski school for 3 and 6 year old - would love some help.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been a frequent reader for a while and I am hoping someone has some advice.

With our children now older (3 and 6), we are hoping to get back to a bit of boarding & skiing in the February half term.

We are planning to drive down, (which is also a first for us and another subject maybe Very Happy ) to keep the costs down.

We thought Les saisies would be a great place for our young family and had hoped to have children in ski school in the morning so we could ski for a few hours together. Appreciate that we need to book ski school early to get what we need - but we are struggling to book with any confidence.

Looks like the two ski schools in Les saisies are glisse passion and ESF.

We emailed Glisse passion but have had nothing back so still left with no idea how we book anything while feeling happy that our children will be in the right class and will be looked after - I mean if they cannot even answer emails it makes us worry a little.

Anyone else any advice on how to book places in ski school? Would welcome anyone who has done this with young children, was the language barrier any issue? Have we maybe chosen the wrong resort?

Many thanks - and great forum.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ClimbingKid, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead The ski schools might not yet be fully open - it's the interseason break. You are right about booking early but I don't think you need worry too much just yet.

I would recommend Glisse Passion because they have a maximum group size of 10. Not great, but better than ESF. Though the kids I see in ESF classes generally look OK.

Half term will - obviously - be very busy because although there will be few Brits there will be loads of French families, which could mean your kids are the only English speaking kids in a group. If so then even if the instructor speaks some English (which they generally do) obviously much of the chat will be in French. However, littlies don't learn by being talked at, they learn by copying and doing - so language is not such an issue as it is for older kids and adults.

One possibility you might want to consider is private lessons, for your two little ones together. Not ideal for a few reasons - more expensive, differences in ages, fewer hours, limited timings in the school holidays - basically lunchtimes only, which rather scuppers your "mornings skiing together" time. But the advantages would be focussed, English, tuition and that your ski time would be in the lunch time hours - best time to ski in crowded French resorts.

The Glisse Passion website has just been updated and I don't think it's quite together - much of it appears to be "en construction".......

But private lessons can be good value, especially for two.

How old will your 3 year old be? Some can cope, some can't. Depends a bit on age and also on personality!

Where in Les Saisies will you be staying? That also makes a difference to choice of ski school though most of the accommodation is convenient for the slopes.

Les Saisies is a great resort and ideal for families. But the lack of a TO presence, a blessing in most ways, means that English is not as widely spoken as it is in some places and also that they're not as slick at things like online bookings.

Have you had a look at the threads about timing of driving to the Alps at half term? well worth a read.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ClimbingKid, welcome to snowheads. I expect pam_w will be along shortly (edit - and there she was!), but for Glisse Passion (of whom I know nothing) there are online booking forms in English, although it seems you have to post the form which is a little inconvenient

http://glissepassion.fr/en/content/6-booking-forms
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ClimbingKid, We went to Les Saisies in January (ie not school holidays) a few years ago. The children were 5 and 8. We used the ESF group lessons at the meeting point near the Hameau de Beaufortain where we were staying. The children were in really small groups of two or three children. One of the instructors, Alex spoke fluent English. The other instructor spoke reasonable English. My two were the only English children in their groups and were happy enough. We were happy with the ESF in this resort.

I also think Les Saisies is an ideal resort for beginners as there are plenty of gentle slopes near the village.

Les Saisies is one of the easier resorts to drive to. However we have not yet driven at half term.

If you haven't yet booked, I would suggest considering 28th March as an alternative. The journey will be less stressful, the cost of accommodation will be less and chances are the ski school group sizes will be smaller.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

If you haven't yet booked, I would suggest considering 28th March as an alternative. The journey will be less stressful, the cost of accommodation will be less and chances are the ski school group sizes will be smaller.

I'd agree with that, but I guess the OP has already booked - if not it'll be difficult to find any accommodation for one of the peak school holiday weeks (Paris, to be avoided if possible).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the fast responses.

Hadn't thought that Ski School might not be open yet Lol! Will give it a few weeks and try it again and look at the booking form in the meantime.

Hadn't considered going in March/April - just thought the snow would be less guaranteed and that we would just have to put up with the pain of Feb half term. Our accommodation at Lagrange Prestige Le Village Des Lapons (which we think is near the ski schools) is booked but fully refundable at present (booking.com). We are restricted to school holidays with a teacher and child in school in the family Crying or Very sad

Our daughter will be 3 and a half and we would like her to join Piou Piou (we think). Not sure if we need to rent boots/skis for her, though the pictures on the website show small children on skis.

We are currently reading up about the drive down. Lots of interesting posts to take advice from.

Thanks again
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ClimbingKid, yes the Village des Lapons is pretty convenient for the "front de neige" - and both ski schools.

Yes, the snow is "less guaranteed" in March/early April but personally I'd much prefer it. I've been in Les Saisies at that time of year every year since 2003 - only one year was it getting really grotty (when it was bad everywhere and practically the whole of Chamonix was closed by 1 April) and even then there was plenty of skiing available. Half term really will be crowded. Ski school groups will be smaller after the French holidays finish, and lessons cheaper - and more flexible. And the drive down will be infinitely easier. And your 3 year old a little older.....

What would be the earliest dates you could go at Easter?

If you decided to go then there's always the option of heading somewhere a bit higher than Les Saisies, of course. Avoriaz, maybe (easy drive) though it'll be busier. There'd be no need to decide on a resort, or accommodation, or ski schools very far in advance.

Sorry to throw your plans into disarray. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy