Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Hire - Which Co. to choose /which skis

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry I know there are loads of variables on this one, so it may be moon on a stick stuff.

I havent been skiing for 5+ years, or owned my own skis since pre carver era.

Back in the day I used to race, owning Volkl Slalom skis, GS skis and DH skis.

I am now 41 and going skiing with my wife and 4 yr old to Belle Plagne in early March. I can not afford to buy new skis, so hiring it is.

Previously i have hired some Salomons (cant recall the model), but they were supposed to be skier x. The had too much torisonal flex, no turn in, and felt life less. I have also had Rossignol slalom skis which were brilliant, fantastic edge to edge, but needed working and I am not fit enough these days for them, they were also very nervous at speed. The last skis I hired were Volkl Tiger Sharks. I loved them, they intiated turns well, could handle speed and shortish radius turns, and were ok off piste.

I think I like wood core skis, want some thing that requires technique to turn, but isnt overly hard work, probably 60 piste 40 off piste balance, as if it bucketed it down with snow I would just swap for a more off piste biase ski.

Does anyone have experience of Belle Plagne shops, and can recommend one that does good top end hire?

What skis should I be looking at roughly similar to a Volkl Tigershark?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pre-book a high grade then talk to the guy in the shop (via AlpinResorts or bestpriceskirental etc), ime trying to preselect in advance is futile - better to look at what they have, condition of skis, snow conditions & be nice to the man in the shop.

Not been to Belle Plagne itself though so no particular recommendation I'm afraid. On the plus side I've rarely run into truly poor ski hire shops in 30+ weeks hiring.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"On the plus side I've rarely run into truly poor ski hire shops in 30+ weeks hiring"

Try the Skiset outlet in the basement of the hotel Terra Nova.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
"On the plus side I've rarely run into truly poor ski hire shops in 30+ weeks hiring"

Try the Skiset outlet in the basement of the hotel Terra Nova. La Plagne
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bernie wrote:

I've run into a couple of really dire Skiset shops. They have a declared policy of getting shops in 'as many resorts as possible' but a lot of the better shops aren't so happy with the way they get treated by them so to meet their own targets, they take what they can get - sometimes little more than a ski room in a hotel with a limited range and hours - Skiset Monetier is an example of this.
When you turn up and find that this 'shop' can't meet your needs, the retailer has no obligation to refund you so you're left with trying to get your money back from Skiset head office. And dealing with Skiset's head office... well that's another story!

Yes, some of the Skiset shops are great, hard working and professional but overall, it's my opinion that you're far better off using one of the other chains (eg. Alpinresorts, Snowbrainer, Sport2000, Interport or Skimium) and if you must use a Skiset, you're far better off contacting them directly. Just ask for the discount offered on-line and they're usually happy to give it to you. Now, dealing direct, they have the direct responsibility to deliver the service you ordered or refund you if they can't.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the useful advice.

In the past when I havent been with family, I have just arrived in resort, and looked around all the stores to see which I want. I cant afford the time to do that now with family in tow, and I wouldn't know which skis to be looking at now Sad

I have used Twinner quite a lot previously so I may email their store and see what range they have in this season, and alo email a few others.

I guess at that point when I have a list of skis I can start asking which would be best for my needs.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@FunkyDunc, are you aware we have a ski test this Saturday, not a million miles from you?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=113117
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bernie wrote:

Admin I think bernie was recommending them as a truly terrible shop for me to go visit, not one for the Op to use snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Basically I think you need a SHOP recommendation FunkyDunc, not a ski recommendation.
I'm suprised no one has offered one yet though - doesn't usually take long on here!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
a.j. wrote:
bernie wrote:

Admin I think bernie was recommending them as a truly terrible shop for me to go visit, not one for the Op to use snowHead
Laughing yes, I suppose you could read it like that!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most shops have good skis to rent - but the quality of ski service is questionable so the performance is often lacking. Also on a week’s holiday (particularly when conditions are hard and icy) by the time you are in the swing of it your edges will have deteriorated so take a few edge tools with you and keep them in good order.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@FunkyDunc, from the recent ski test at Braehead the ski that I think will best match what you're looking for is the Head iSupershape Titan. By far the best of all the piste orientated skis that I tried, it felt plenty stiff and solid enough but was still very easy to drive. You might also like some of the all mountain skis with waists of around 88mm - Fischer Ranger 88 or Blizzard Brahma were both excellent skis.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FunkyDunc, from a trip report I did in 2012

Quote:
Skis: hired on-line 24 hours before from Sport2000 (Armand in BP). 40% off plus a further 5% with a discount code from Edde (thanks Very Happy). So, €79 including the insurance for their “diamond” skis – as mentioned, Salomon Enduro XT800 Rocker. Clearly new. Edit: There seemed to be a good choice of skis, the people were helpful/friendly and they happily re-waxed my planks halfway through the holiday at no extra cost.....well it was a good excuse to leave the skis safely and then proceed 10m round the corner to La Tete without a) worrying about leaving them outside and b) not having to lug them 6 minutes back to the chalet. They also took care of the poles Laughing

As for the skis.....rated as all-mountain planks. Piste: very, very assured at speed and easy to manoeuvre at slower pace. Seemed fine taking a hard edge on wide arcs and easy on narrower turns. Most of my skiing is on-piste, yet on the odd (unscheduled Laughing) venture off-piste and into knee-high powder, they performed fine.....even if at times, I didn't Laughing. There wasn't any crud, but I suspect these skis would have made light work of it. Have to say, I really liked them. Stiff enough for speed and quick turns, yet not so stiff/heavy that your legs feel like they could drop off halfway through the day.

I was deliberating between Volkl Tiger Sharks and the Enduros for my first ski - obviously quite different characteristics, but both good skis from my perspective. Eventually opted for Kneissel Black Stars, but that's a different story. Anyway, Sport2000 were excellent. They are right in the centre of BP.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HaHa, my reply was meant to say, if you want a rubbish Skiset, then try the basement outlet in the Hotel Terra Nova.

A few years ago, I had pre booked some skis online and on arrival they had none of the "example" skis shown on their website. They tried to foist me off with a truly terrible pair of old clunkers and only after a lot of complaining and the payment of more money was I given some different skis. I tried these for a day and hated them so took them back and was met with a typical French shrug of the shoulders .

More complaining and a pair of Rossignols were produced that were great and of course I kept these for the rest of the week. On coming home, I wrote to Skiset head office to complain and they eventually refunded some money but I forget how much.

In many years of hiring skis, this outlet was without doubt, the worst one ever. Other Skiset outlets in other resorts have been fine as have skis hired through other online companies.

There was this outlet in Sauze D'oux though that hired my wife some very blunt skis ( I had my own, then ) but that's another story.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Off topic (sorry @FunkyDunc) but what are people's views on renting skis via a tour operator? I can see both sides of it, in terms of the operator getting some kind of kick back and also them wanting to make sure that their guests are pleased with the service that they receive. I've done all three variations, tour operator, Skiset and direct with a shop and only had to take back skis once and that was the direct deal (albeit set up online).
snow conditions
@honved, depends on TO IMHO. Esprit seem to charge well over the odds. However we did book them with Mark Warner last year for convenience (the ski's were bought up to hotel which saved time overall) and price wise wasn't a lot in it.
ski holidays
@FunkyDunc, are you going to the Esprit place by any chance? We booked independently but with the same shop Esprit used, yet Esprit still offered to take our families ski's back with the other Esprit guests and put them in the appropriate lockers in the accomodation which was very good of them
latest report
NickyJ sorry I havent looked in here for a while. Yes I am going with Esprit. Which company do they use?

My plan was to ring Esprit and ask them, but I bet they may not be forthcoming. I am sure it will work out cheaper for me to book in advance..
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy