Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

USA snow heading our way??

Poster: A snowHead
So depending what newspaper and report you read will depend on how the next couple of weeks look for us brits.
reading this
http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/537436/UK-weather-USA-cold-arctic-temperatures-hit-Britain
says we could be on the verge of 4 months of the white stuff on the ground, but the bbc says we are getting none of it.

So if we were to get some next week, where will people be heading? Have never been to Weardale or Yad Moss but both are on my target list for this year.
Also Lowther Hill is hoping to be up and running this year.

But id love to get out somewhere and do some hiking and have a slide on some hills.

So where do people go? any hidden gems ??

Just been reading altis reports in the other "alps in a day" thread and getting really inspired to get out in the UK countryside.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
So if we were to get some next week, where will people be heading?
Only needs an inch or two for me (and Mrs MA) to go ski touring at Yad Moss - easy road access and an hour's drive for us. Another inch or two to get the lifts running there and at Weardale.

Other than that, we've ski toured at closed Cairngorm and Glenshee in early November - so we're already champing at the bit with December almost in sight. Bring on the snow!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Panicky doom warning from the Express? Surely some mistake!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i used to work for that rag, its as bad as the " daily hate " (the Mail) owned by idiots written for muppets Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In 2011 we had a sort of 'lake effect' down the east coast when cold polar air picked up lots of energy from a 'warm' North Sea and deposited large amounts of snow east of the A1 in Northumberland and across the North York Moors. After several weeks the snow showers eventually reached into the ski fields of the Pennines.

That would be nice but seems unlikely at the moment
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This would be the same Express who predicted last winter to be the coldest for a century in the UK. You know, the one that was singularly mild and wet...

Little hope of the US snow making it over here as it's being caused by a huge amount of cold air powering down from Canada. Where this hits moist air from the great lakes you get lots of snow. Unless someone's found a way to move Canada and enlarge the Lake District...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well if it happens I'm OK. 4x4 truck, hiking boots, gloves, hat, last seasons ski jacket, log burner.

Sorted.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ajc2260626, Was it your job to muck out the 'Voice of Sanity's cage and feed him his bucket of fish heads once a week?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No-one can reliably predict the British weather more a few days ahead.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I can pretty much say that it'll rain on the Bank Holiday in may 2015.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@homers double, there are two bank holidays then, so it's a practical certainty it'll rain on one or both of them. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Express frequently has weather related headlines that bear no relation to reality so unfortunately the answer to your question is no, we aren't going to get any snow
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If only the Daily Express were heading their way
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

4x4 truck

the log burner will be a lot more use. In a couple of metres of snow nobody would be going anywhere much. Even a 4 x 4 can't plough its way through roads full of the abandoned vehicles of other people who thought they could make it or who were caught out in falling snow having taken no notice of the weather forecasts.

An enormous number of expensive snow ploughs, plus big tippers which can take the snow away and dump it somewhere out of the way is needed to clear one rather small town in the French alps after a few feet of snow. I saw eight snowploughs working simultaneously just to clear the supermarket carpark in Albertville one morning. Laughing

I wonder how many snowploughs they have for Hampshire?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:

I believe they have the use of 5 on a timeshare basis. Hampshire gets them in July Laughing Laughing
latest report
ajc2260626 wrote:
... the " daily hate " (the Mail) owned by idiots written for muppets Laughing

Laughing Laughing
Post of the year 2014
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Not as many as New Hampshire.

My previous business premises had upkeep of a snowplough for the business park on the service charge. I never saw it in 17 years. Since moving (to a building on a public road up a steep hill), we've had moderate or large dumps every other winter. rolling eyes
latest report
I wouldn't count on usa snow, the clouds get warmed up as they hit Ireland, and it falls as rain, so unless the air is cold enough, eeeeeeee don't get excited. Now an eastern front with high water content would interest Me.
snow report
pam w wrote:

In my part of Hampshire it's subcontracted to an agricultural operator who uses a tractor and some kind of farming implement that crushes wet snow to hard ice. Also sweeps a couple of inches of snow on the road to a hard roadside bank that I then need to excavate to get out of the drive. It's a carefully devised system, no doubt.
snow report
A farmer of my acquaintance used to love the snow - he'd patrol along the lane which went through his land after snowfall fishing out all the drivers who used to use it as a cut through and had gone off into the ditches either side and charging them for the privilege. He used to call it his "Winter Bonus".
latest report
Judging by past performance, the Express would have had more luck just blindly guessing at winter weather rather than just repeating the same old tired doom and gloom.

Anyway. Pfft, snowplows. Jet snowblowers is where its at.

http://youtube.com/v/HpbKGvjqsxM
snow report
I'm hoping for a big snowfall so I don't have to go into work....

Toofy Grin
snow conditions
dogwatch wrote:
pam w wrote:

In my part of Hampshire it's subcontracted to an agricultural operator who uses a tractor and some kind of farming implement that crushes wet snow to hard ice. Also sweeps a couple of inches of snow on the road to a hard roadside bank that I then need to excavate to get out of the drive. It's a carefully devised system, no doubt.

Where I am in East Lothian a local arable farmer has a contract with the council to clear the roads that cross the top of the Lammermuir Hills. They can often be closed for a few days at a time as when we get a hefty load of the white stuff it can drift out badly. He normally uses a couple of very large tractors with a breaker-ploughs on the front and they work in tandem with a council gritter to clear the road. In winter 12/13 he must have been laughing all the way to the bank as we had sustained snow for weeks and his tractors were out continually. Probably paid for his summer holidays and more. Last winter he must have been weeping as we never had a drop and his tractors were idle.

In winter 12/13 I went across the hills in my Discovery just after the road had reopened and the drifts at the side were taller than my car!
snow report
Quote:

You know, the one that was singularly mild and wet...

Well.....quite wet up here and quite mild but never wet enough in northern England for any significant disruption and never milder than 10c for 3 months. The Lakeland fells had their deepest snow for 40 years. Southern England however was very wet by all accounts.
latest report
I believe that these forecasts in the Express are based on the work of Piers Corbyn of Weather Action. It's difficult to find any real proof of accuracy for his long range forecasts which are based on different mechanisms from those used by the MetOffice. I'll believe them when it happens but not holding my breath.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy