Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Downhill skiing on a Mediterranean island - what are the options?

Poster: A snowHead
There's something pretty incredible about being able to ski on an island in the Med.
I've skied on Mt Etna in Sicily, and it was fantastic. We swam in the Med in the morning (pleasantly warm despite it being January), and then skied in the afternoon. I think they have three downhill resorts there - two on Etna and one lower level one. We skied on the main Etna one which has several chairlifts and a gondola (I think), and one hotel high up the mountain (around 2,000m) where we stayed.

I've heard you can ski in Corsica but I think there's only one resort left now (used to be several).
Think you can also ski in Cyprus but haven't really looked into that.
Anyone been to these or any other islands?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I learned to ski in CYPRUS (curtesy of HM Government !!) :: it is quite limited (three drags and a chairlift) ; when I looked at the webcams last Feb, they had no snow..... Sad -- You can do the 'ski in the morning, swim in the afternoon' thing but I found the sea rather 'cold'......

http://www.skicyprus.com/webcam/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 20-11-14 16:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lebanon is meant to be ok. It's not an island but does have the mountain/beach combo. I'd just go for a proper skiing holiday and later in the year a proper summer holiday. Have the best of each rather than a mediocre versjon of either.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The rumour was that the Crete drag is no longer as it is in a national park or the suchlike - still seemed to be a reasonable amount of snow even in early May this year up top.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think there are some drag lifts in Sardinia as well. I guess it is pointless to go there specially for this, unless you just happen to be there in the winter.

Why not consider Isola 2000 or Auron in France - short drive (1 or 2h max) from Nice and the sea - and proper, large resorts.

Sierra Nevada in Spain will be similar but much longer drive to the sea I think. Or you could have city break in Grenada and drive to the resort. Apparently you can see the sea from some of the runs.

Or there are resorts in Morocco or Lebanon as mentioned (I think a few with chairs etc).

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 19-11-14 10:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Tom W, Yes and you can see the snow on the top from the beaches.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The GR20 long distance trail takes you past a (the?) ski area in Corsica. In fact the hotel/hostel/ski lodge is a popular overnight stop on the route. It looked very stuck in the 70s to me. Photos suggested that snow was very unreliable and I imagine it is only operated opportunistically with the clientele being locals driving up from Ajaccio etc
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
While it obviously isn't an island, I've skied on Mt Parnassos in Greece at New Year, which was really pretty good and overlooks the sea, and then had an evening meal in a taverna at nearby Galaxidi on the coast. Wasn't warm enough for a swim, but an amazing contrast nevertheless.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Breakfast in Nice, ski all day in Isola 2000 and back to Antibes for dinner and a few beers. In fact, the bus used to cost €1 each way and went from both the airport and the train station. Dead easy, used to do it often when living out that way. Not an island but it could be argued that the CDA is a bit of a bubble...! :0)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I will dare to speak for Greece since i come from there...
As said above there was a draglift in Krete but since many years everything left to the dust....
However if you like touring ski you could do it until April or sometimes later...and then go down and swimm...
i think the best option is around april in Mt Parnassos...maybe end of April...the last days of operation...
Of course dont expect Val Thorens..but you are able to do a couple of hours or more, excellent ski, then go down, and go for swimm...ok the water maybe a little cold but its is possible...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Look at this phenomenal report from "Starli" on his own personal forum. You will also find it on Alpinforum.
http://www.sommerschi.com/forum/reportagen-f8/fist-frankreich-italien-spanien-tour-19-2-9-3-2014-t3108.html

Starli has a number of dreams and lives them. Loves exotic ski areas, especially those with sea view. And drives tens of thousands of kilometers per year doing several tours to visit those resorts.

And another tour report, different ski areas, but a number of sea view skiing pictures
http://www.sommerschi.com/forum/reportagen-f8/sonnige-sued-alpen-21-28-1-2014-t3100.html

Below just some examples. He must have a pretty expensive camera too, looking at the quality of the pictures.

Sea view in Italy

Sea view in France (Lac de Serre Poncon, a lake not the sea)

Sea view from Col de Turini (near Isola 2000)

And another

Roubion, with sea view and even Corsica in sight

Garessio 2000, infrared photo, mediterranean with Appenines in background
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
amazing pictures
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cyprus is still a possibility but like Scotland you get good years and bad years for snow cover. Same goes for Lebanon (which of course is not an island).

Here from our very own snowBase (anyone ever use it.....?) is the Cyprus link http://www.cyprusski.com/main/default.aspx
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cyprus has a few ski schools too ...

(photo taken a few years ago before they switched to the Euro)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There's skiing on the Pelion, near Volos in Greece. Not an island, but close to beaches (inc Damouchari where some of Mama Mia was filmed)
snow report
Many thanks for these responses, and photos. What a splendid resource this website is!
So in summary, sounds like there are essentially three islands with ski lifts - Sicily, Corsica and Cyprus.
I think Etna Sud in Sicily has the most extensive facilities of any Med island resort with a 700m VD, gondola and chairs.
How cool would it be to do a tour of the Mediterranean ski islands by boat?!
snow report
Again, not an island, but skiing sea views available in Scotland:

- Moray Firth visible on a clear day from Cairngorm.
- (I think) Loch Linnhe - sea loch(!) is visible from Nevis Range Puzzled
snow report
Top of Loch Linnhe, all of Loch Eil (both sea lochs) and Loch Lochy (fresh water) visible from Nevis Range. Think I've seen the Sound of Sleat too on an exceptionally clear day. Have seen Skirza Beach from Cairngorm on another,very clear day >60 m away. Can of course also see Loch Morlich (fresh). Might even be able to get some pictures. Had a bit of a computer disaster otherwise it would be easy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy