Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Poles!

Poster: A snowHead
I'm after a fairly cheap/strong aluminium pole, in 135cm length, preferably with a soft-snow basket.

The atomic ATM3's seemed to fit this, but only go up to 130cm.

Has anyone seen/used any of these? http://www.ellis-brigham.com/products/ellis-brigham-ltd/team-edition-1415-ski-poles/703421#information=2
Any other recommendations for alternatives?

Thanks, Ben
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@neoxerox, in my experience, which is quite extensive for a non pro, poles are poles. Get the colour you like and the length you need. That said, I mostly ski with a pair of Goode carbon fibre ones which must have racked up about 500 ski days in 13 years, including some parts replacement.

Which is the best value I've had.

That said, the Wife's poles were bought to match the colours of her Volkl P10s in, errr, 1989? and are still going strong, if a little chipped. I should add that that includes two full seasons of ski bumming (actually, ski bumming probably includes some gainful or at least useful employment, so ski loafing probably more appropriate) and 50-60 days skiing a year otherwise.

So pretty robust.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Saw some fantasticks by some brand or other, went up to longer sizes and came with couple of choices of basket, alu pole, cheap, and snazzy colours Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There you go http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-GB&biw=360&bih=567&tbm=shop&ei=1LdrVO6OCoqxafHlgsAL&q=phantasticks+135&oq=phantasticks+135&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.12...40611.45482.0.46836.8.6.0.0.0.1.629.1740.0j3j1j0j1j1.6.0....0...1c.1.58.mobile-gws-serp..6.2.1044.2TYDYht6ShE#spd=9868103142517902658
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I kept bending my aluminium poles by falling on them. I've now got a pair of carbon fibre poles which are superb, they are a bit more expensive though.

Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Sage, surely easier and cheaper ro stop falling?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I managed to get 2 sets of carbon fibre K2 poles for me and my other half from Edge & Wax for £16.50 a pair down from £50! Great value in my opinion. Have a butchers they may still have some left.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@Sage, surely easier and cheaper ro stop falling?

I keep trying that but it never works wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks guys, the phantasticks look ideal.

Then i saw the carbon version... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Sage, Then buy some Leki Hot Shot poles and drink up after your fall Happy

http://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/leki-hot-shot-trigger-s-black/82343/p
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
TheDoctor wrote:
I managed to get 2 sets of carbon fibre K2 poles for me and my other half from Edge & Wax for £16.50 a pair down from £50! Great value in my opinion. Have a butchers they may still have some left.

Gutted Sad they only have 120s left

I'm 5' 9.5" do I get them or stick with 125s Puzzled
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PaulC1984 wrote:
@Sage, Then buy some Leki Hot Shot poles and drink up before your fall Happy

http://www.snowinn.com/ski-store/leki-hot-shot-trigger-s-black/82343/p

FIFY.

as an aside wouldn't go out without our hot shots...1 pair for me and 1 for Mrs Ansta1. Haven't got them for the juniors yet but it's only a matter of time.... Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a hair under 6' and ski with 120... I find a lot of people go too long poles, easier to push on the flat but shorther gets you forward Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They have 125s in the ladies version

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/826844/products/k2_wildstyle_womens_ski_poles_in_polygon_white_and_pink.aspx

May or may not help...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

shorter gets you forward

Not helpful if it simply encourages bending at the waist.
latest report
Quote:

I'm 5' 9.5" do I get them or stick with 125s

I think you need 125s. I'm a tad shorter and find 120s a bit short.
I've had a couple of sets of carbon poles and while they are quite nice they don't make any difference and the right length is more important.

Last few years I've been using these
http://www.ekosport.co.uk/ski-trab-freerando-sg-13-p-1-19255.html?gclid=CM2m6dzDhsICFZCWtAodGncApA

Which I really like - cheap, strong, big powder baskets and the grippy foam down the pole from the handle is excellent when traversing steep ground (allowing you to shorten the effective pole length on the uphill side on the hoof). Recommend if you ski off piste.

Direct link to this post

Rate Post: ? :: ? (?)

Wed 19 Nov, 14
10:15

ansta1

ansta1
PM

Ignore this (silly old) snowHead:

ansta1
snowHead

PaulC1984 wrote:
snow conditions
Quote:

Not helpful if it simply encourages bending at the waist.

Well yeah if you only bend at the waist, but helpful for getting people lower, that makes getting forward easier.

Pole planting with long poles pushes your arms up and the body follows, up and back..... massive generalisation here but I have noticed that the majority of videos posted on here show people skiing pretty upright...
snow conditions
Honestly I think poles are just so cheap and ubiquitous that it just makes more sense to use whatever you have until it breaks and in the meantime you will probably get some more free somehow, seems to be my experience, first pair of poles I got were given to me by the rental guy in my local resort shop as I had boots and skis buy then and went to rent poles as I had forgotten to buy them (doh) and he just laughed at me and said here you go have em. (I had known him 3 years by then)

Another example and another plug here for Edge and Wax, I bought a pair of 2014 Salomon q90 during their world cup sale this summer, so they were already heavily discounted and then I got another 10% of them as part of WC promotion, I thought this was a righteous deal as it was. Imagine how over-chuffed I was when I open the box and there is a spanking new pair of K2 poles in there Smile

Have to say as far as customer service goes, that's pretty special as there was no mention of free poles on the site, just seemed like a throw in Smile well done lads, see you in 3 years when I next get GAS Smile Or probably earlier as I need some new gloves

G

G
snow report
Carbon poles are generally pricier and will flex more than aluminum. Unlike aluminum, carbon poles will not take a permanent bend. If a carbon pole fails, it does so catastrophically-it shatters ruining the pole.

Aluminum is often less expensive depending on the aluminum alloy used and its thickness. Aluminum is usually stiffer and somewhat heavier than most carbon poles. Aluminum is susceptible to bending. If straightened, the bend point will always be weaker than the rest of the pole and may bend at that spot again.

Poles are also designed with different swing weights/ balance points. If you are going to purchase a pair, you might try swinging them in the store to determine which poles feel best to you.
In short, either carbon or aluminum can work very well and selection is largely a matter of personal preference and budget.

Good luck.
ski holidays
A few other thoughts. The general guideline for pole selection is to turn the pole upside down grabbing it right below the basket. When you have done so your forearm should be parallel to the floor or at a 90 degree angle to your upper arm/side of torso. That said, many GS racers prefer somewhat longer poles while Slalom racers often go somewhat shorter.

If you find a set of poles that you like, you can always buy a longer size if your size is not available. When you get home simply heat the pole grips with a hair dryer, pull them off and measure and mark the shaft at the correct length. Cut the shafts to the proper size at the now grip-less ends with a saw blade made to cut metal such as a hacksaw. Slide the grips back on and you now have perfectly sized poles.
snow report
You don't have to buy Leki Hotshots from a Spanish ski 'shop', we sell them too. There is 5% loyalty cashback and the snowheads discount code...would make it pretty much the same price, and shipped from actual stock in the showroom here from within the UK, in one of our custom ski pole boxes...

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/1318517/products/leki_2015_hot_shot_ski_poles_with_trigger_s_and_integrated_shot_holder.aspx

And we have NINE models of poles in 135cm, and even some in 140cm. Just type ski poles in search and use the left hand size filter Very Happy

Sorry for the shameless plug but PLEASE keep it the UK, or us independents won't be around Very Happy

ScottyDog
snow report
Lostboy wrote:
A few other thoughts. The general guideline for pole selection is to turn the pole upside down grabbing it right below the basket. When you have done so your forearm should be parallel to the floor or at a 90 degree angle to your upper arm/side of torso. That said, many GS racers prefer somewhat longer poles while Slalom racers often go somewhat shorter.

If you find a set of poles that you like, you can always buy a longer size if your size is not available. When you get home simply heat the pole grips with a hair dryer, pull them off and measure and mark the shaft at the correct length. Cut the shafts to the proper size at the now grip-less ends with a saw blade made to cut metal such as a hacksaw. Slide the grips back on and you now have perfectly sized poles.

Correct! And then use HAIRSPRAY to glue the grips back on! Trust me it works. IF on the rare occassion you find a load of white tape underneath (Such as on the Volkl Tigershark Steel effect poles) then this is actually golf grip tape, available from any golf pro for pennies.

But trust me on the sunscreen hairspray.

ScottyDog
ski holidays
@scottydog, Hairspray works for just about anything! Its like gafa tape and zip ties - I cant imagine life without them Happy
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:
@scottydog, Hairspray works for just about anything! Its like gafa tape and zip ties - I cant imagine life without them Happy

Aye, and SILICONE SEALANT of course! I couldn't live without that....
snow conditions
Re Lostboy sizing info - is this with boots & skis on or shoes/bare feet in the shop please as I think my poles are too long but don't want to cut them if I'm using the wrong measurement
snow report
[troll] You're all in the thrall of the 'Big Pole' conspiracy - you don't need them - throw them away! They're just a crutch for poor technique while the pole companies make £$€BILLIONS [/troll]
latest report
@Richard_Sideways,
All those guys in the BASI photo had them - even the ones that weren't wearing helmets.
ski holidays
@Richard_Sideways, @musher, i do partially agree with rich here. Poles that are the wrong size and that are used poorly will make your skiing worse - but then thats the same with any gear. used for effective pole planting and for beating snow boarders with then they are great wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoffo wrote:
Re Lostboy sizing info - is this with boots & skis on or shoes/bare feet in the shop please as I think my poles are too long but don't want to cut them if I'm using the wrong measurement

It can be done either with your boots and skis on or if that is inconvenient, simply add 4-5 cms to the pole length to find your proper size. If you are skiing with a lifter plate you want to account for that. Because snow is often an irregular surface and not always firm, if you are not precise to the centimeter in sizing your poles it is unlikely that you will notice.

Ski poles certainly have their place. Properly sized ski poles can help you avoid excessive crouching or backseat skiing common technique problems with ski poles that are too short or too long. Still, if ski poles were so central to getting down the mountain I suppose the sport would be called "poling" and not "skiing".

Good luck.
ski holidays
Sorry, and it is a bit trollish as i'm not a skier so I don't use poles at all - I've done the whole pole question before, but I have noticed this:
If you ask someone to mime snowboarding they'll sort of go into a surfer stance and probably say "Radical" "Gnarly" or "Groady" or something suitably sterotypical California stoner cliché - Fair enough; I'll cope. Ask someone to mime skiing and they'll do the whole poleing arm motion thing (possibly doing a "F'nar f'nar" Tarquin/Jemimahhh impression) - now, to me, this is like somebody describing flying by miming taxiing along a runway. Poles are so synonymous with skiing the almost define it, but the absolute least part of it.
Interesting, no?
snow report
Agree Richard, possible the least important part of equipment in terms of getting down the mountain, ski instructors teach without them to improve technique and what not so yes irrelevent to getting down the mountain.
Then again they have a purpose otherwise we wouldn't be seeing downhill skiers still use them, and much like anything in life you see a professional use them you want to use them so everyone jumps on the bandwagon (myself included), @PaulC1984, idea is also and added advantage in swaying skiers to buy them. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

Ask someone to mime skiing and they'll do the whole poleing arm motion thing (possibly doing a "F'nar f'nar" Tarquin/Jemimahhh impression) - now, to me, this is like somebody describing flying by miming taxiing along a runway. Poles are so synonymous with skiing the almost define it, but the absolute least part of it.

Are these people who know anything about skiing though? If I was miming, I would get in my stance and roll my ankles side to side while keeping my hands still and forward. Really. Embarassingly I have actually been known to do this while waiting for my ski bag to appear at the airport fi I'm getting too excited Embarassed

But I take your point, poles (and pole technique) are not very important compared to other aspects of technique and equipment.
Of course if you look at film / photos of skiing from the early/mid 20th C you do see these massive pole swings going on. That may be where your observation comes from.
snow conditions
Hairdryer. Pah. Us real men just stick our end in boiling water. And then pull it off. But I will not put hairspray on it. Plus I do not own a hairdryer.
ski holidays
@jedster, haha im the same as you! My wife says I look like a total 'tard stood at the airport, knees flexing, ankles rolling and arms up with limp wrists Happy
latest report
@PaulC1984, hang on - isn't that Gangnam style?
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, hmmmm not quite, i dont cross my wrists or bounce about Toofy Grin - either way people must think im A) P*ssed B) Have horrendous piles C) really need a pee after the the long flight D) have all my life longed to be a squirrel Toofy Grin
ski holidays
that's the one Paul - shameful really Very Happy
snow conditions
@jedster, Toofy Grin
ski holidays
While we are still more or less on the subject of ski poles, I have never found a need to "re-glue" in any way ski pole grips after cutting poles to the proper size. Just slide them back on. The grips themselves are, well, pretty grippy. However, I've never come across a set of Voekl Tigershark steel poles mentioned by scottydog above.

Poles properly used do have some modest advantages that while not generally indispensable, are sometimes overlooked. Ski poles:

1) Are typically used as a timing device at the beginning of a turn.
2) Can provide some help with making the turn itself in moguls, short turns and powder.
3) Can provide additional snow surface feedback to the skier.
4) Can provide leverage to help you get up after a fall.
5) Are useful in providing propulsion on catwalks and flats.

If you choose to use ski poles, it is useful to size them properly.

Have fun this season with or sans ski poles.
snow conditions
@PaulC1984, I think you should request a name change to "Nutkin1984" or maybe "Tufty1984". Do EasyJet charge you extra for the strap-on tail?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy