Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Luggage Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I am looking for new suitcase replacements for ski gear, not necessary for skis, just clothing etc.

Any recommendations welcome.

Thanks,

Mick.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use a North Face Base Camp duffle as it's very light and great for dealing with airline weight restrictions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Another vote for North Face.

I got a nearly new The North Face Long Haul off of SH's some time ago. I was that impressed with it vs. conventional suitcases (which didn't stand up to airline batterings more than 1 or 2 trips) that I went out and got another for when I travel with the kids. I've been that impressed with both, that this year I got the wheeled cabin sized bag from the same range. They MOST CERTAINLY ARE NOT CHEAP, but its some of the best luggage I've ever owned, inc. Samsonite and Antler.

If you look into it they even claim to be able to replace bits like handles and wheels on the rare occurrence that you suffer a really severe airline thump. What I like are the lovely chunky and sturdy handles and believe it or not I will rave for ages about the wheels. They are just so smooth to pull and in all the time I've used any of ours they have never got unbalanced and rocked from side to side when being pulled. The wheels almost have a sort of rubberised feel when you pull them and are just soooooo quiet. I've even had them admired in the queues at airports and folks asking for their details to buy for themselves. I think anything from that range would be superb luggage - they do an enormous one called Rolling Thunder - the Long Haul ones are the next size down, but are plenty big. I've just taken a big one and the cabin bag to Amsterdam for a week on a business trup and they admirably towed along side by side. I wouldn't have another conventional suitcase. Oh and the cabin bag meets both EJ and Ryanair cabin limits if you don't really stuff it. They are also lighter than any of my current alternatives.

Sorry - luggage anorak here, but I love my North Face bags.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have a solid, not terribly expensive, suitcase which has successfully withstood thousands of miles of air travel all over the world. It is tough, weatherproof, light, has small built in wheels and is bright green and easy to spot. However, for a ski trip you need something squishy which, once emptied, can be stowed away in some tiny corner of the room - a lot of "ski bedroom" have no room for a big case.

I am constantly amazed at the size of some of the luggage I see being wheeled out at Geneva; how people can need that much for a one week holiday, most of which they will spend in the same few bits of gear, defeats me.

If I have to move about independently I take something I can carry on my back - I can get everything but skis (including boots and helmet) in a ladies' size rucksack that, when packed, is not too heavy to carry for reasonable distances, up and down stairs, on and off buses and tubes, etc.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the feedback guys, will have a look at the North face.

Mick.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have trouble seeing past the IT luggage range as sold be the fine Gentleperson's Emporium known otherwise as Argos.

Incredibly light (a full case for two including business suits and boots for one, party clothes for two and enough general crap for 5 days in London tipped the scales today at 17kgs).

Cheap as chips.

Robust.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice one, and Argos too!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, travelling like that is a skill I am dearly envious of, but never learned to grasp. I comprehend capsule dressing and packing, but it never seems to translate for me in terms of luggage weight. Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a long suffering wheeled holdall. Decathlon own brand (Geonaute I think) which was much cheaper than branded equivalents. It is made in rucksack type cordura material and squashes flat. I have had it for some years and it seems to deal with the worst Sleazyjet can do. I travel a lot for work and I have taken to using this beast instead of conventional suitcases.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I am constantly amazed at the size of some of the luggage I see being wheeled out at Geneva; how people can need that much for a one week holiday, most of which they will spend in the same few bits of gear, defeats me.

True that. Every year I try to take a little bit less than the last one. Last year I didn't take any trousers beyond the jeans I wore on the plane. Non-ski gear only gets worn between about 7pm and bed after all. Still ended up bringing home unworn t-shirts ...

Back on topic, two of us can get away with one of the big North Face holdalls and a double ski bag. The NF bags have rudimentary rucsac like straps in case you have to walk to the car park or station. Does get a bit heavy with two pairs of boots, helmets, etc but doable.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did look at the Decathlon one, looks good value.

Thanks all.

Mick.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm currently in Aus after a spell in India and the Nevica Split Roller 100 I got from Sports Direct has proved so good that Mrs WS has appropriated it and I'm left with her cast off! It doesn't squash flat but is easy to manage and seems tough.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I travel a lot with work and for fun and would always use a soft holdall rather than a suitcase these days. I find it loads easier having a soft bag that can fit in anywhere. The Mountain Equipment 100L Holdalls are almost as good quality as the North Face ones and have the same rucksack like removable straps, but are quite a lot cheaper to buy. They are not so big that you can't lift them when they are full but have enough space for long trips away (up to a month or two!)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mrs M has a Mountain Equipment 100l bag with rucksack straps. Very light, huge (unless you are female) and well made/durable.

Also on sale at the moment - only £60 - www.cotswoldoutdoor.co.uk

I have the Helly Hansen equivalent which is also OK, but not as good as this one.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did a fair bit of research before purchasing my Osprey Sojourn. I'm pleased with it, it's well built and well designed.

I tip, if you intend to fly with this purchase, I'd not go much over 80ltrs. Any bigger and you'll struggle to keep it under 20/25kg. I had a 120ltr Dakine roller previously, to keep it within weight, it would only be 75% full and baggy.
snow report
I'm stuck between three choices:

North face base camp 90L £80
Mountain Equipment 100L £60
Karrimor Duffle 90L £45

I'm leaning towards the North Face, purely because it's more expensive. I'd love to hear that the Karrimor is just as good. Is the North face worth £35 over the Karrimor and £20 over the mountain equipment?

Many thanks for any help.
snow conditions
@captainslack,
The ME bag is very good quality. We preferred it to the NF version.
snow conditions
Don't buy the cases in Sports Direct my eldest unfortunately did and the suitcase did not even survive a one way trip down Deansgate in Manchester. Most of the bags from the proper outdoor company's such as TNF will be better value in the long term. ( Not Karrimor though they are now crap).

@Megamum,
I am just as bad re travelling light, I can manage it when hiking but on holidays I have filled a grand Espace minus 2 seats plus double roofboxes 500 and 700 size Thule for a 3 week holiday for the 5 of us ( embarrassing bit was they all flew out I drove down on my own with car filled to the brim ) Embarassed
latest report
I'm delighted to see how many recommendation in this thread eschew the ghastly wheelie things. And if you do buy one of those, don't take it to Venice and wheel it through the streets or you'll risk a fine. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2842400/Venice-bans-wheelie-suitcases-noise-pollution-canal-bridges.html

Splendid. Twisted Evil

@speed098, I can travel light if going by air and carrying my own stuff but if I'm driving, I don't bother and will always, for example, take a decent pillow as hotel pillows are invariably crap. I once took four large pots of geraniums to France in the summer, to brighten up my terrace.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy