Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Prizm - VLT

Poster: A snowHead
In the market for a new pair of goggles - I really only need / use goggles in very flat light / white out and stick to polarized sunglasses for everything else.

I would have gone for Oakley HI yellow but for the few occasions I can't be bothered to switch I'm told even a ray of sunshine can be OTT in them.

There seems to be positive chat in articles about Oakley's new Prizm lenses but nothing from a normal reviewer and figure you have to take those articles / endorsements with a pinch of salt.

I'm considering the rose prizm but there doesn't seem to be anything on the VLT - can anyone shed any light? or better yet, as anyone tried them out properly?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think Oakley have published the VLT's of the three Prisms as they are not what you would expect.... I believe (roughly) 5% for the Black Iridium, 17ish% for the Jade, and 25ish% for the Rose(!). Yes, this sounds bizarre but they work by tuning the wavelengths of light coming through, not just by letting lots of light through! e.g a lot more orange and blue are allowed to pass through, but very little else, thus the VLT goes down but contrast is improved.

Having had a play with each of them (compared to Oakley's regular lenses, Fire Iridiums etc etc) they do indeed seem to work considerably better in terms of contrast and making details 'pop' across the whole range.

I've yet to try them on proper snow but will be doing so in the next couple of weeks. I've not compared the HI Yellow to Rose either, but I would expect the Rose to edge it based on what I saw today.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Likewise considering them as a replacement for my now knackered Alpina Quattroflex. When I've tried 'normal' lenses they just don't work as well for contrast and detail especially in falling snow and now that I've got used to the "prism' effect I've found it impossible to adapt back. So the Oakley Prism would appear to be the answer?

@awachsmann, I'm going to sell my pair of Oakley Airbrakes and three lenses (persimmon, fire iridium and hi yellow) that I bought a couple of seasons ago and used for about three days. Yes the above issue was a factor but the main problem is they are just too big for my face and pinched my nose with my helmet on which became intolerable after an hour or so. I did realise this when I bought them but the 'want it' and vanity factor outdid common sense! The lenses are very easily changed.

I'm planning a pair of A frames probably with Rose in view of comments above and pending further feedback if @MarkFinSoup, could come back to this thread and let us know how you get on please?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks - I had a feeling the answer wasn't going to be straight forward in terms of VLT - it makes sense they'd not publish VLT as I assume many people use that as an indicator of performance which isn't necessarily the case here.

@MarkFinSoup - I'd love to hear how they perform once you're on the snow - not heading out until end of Jan so I'm in no major rush.

@robboj - Potentially interested in the Airbrakes but I've never tried them on - I'm probably better suited to the A frames too but I've always liked the idea of the quick switch lenses the Airbrake offers. When I next get a chance I'll give them a go and let you know how I get on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'll get my first ski in on Sunday with any luck, so i'll keep you updated
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I ve seen something about 30% from one of online shops (cannot find now)
Check this out:
http://youtube.com/v/6hjfSEr-wmQ

Reading about prizm, between the lines, word 'sport' mentioned, also in the video above, fast change between dark shadows and brigth light, and prizm mentioned as advantage being dark lense. All this kinda sets the environment of use for the prizm.

Its quite clear to me, that in the foggy environment, this will not work, because its not the environment they designed for. (the sport event will be canceled)
So high yeallow, will be better I think for the foggy day.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@MarkFinSoup, any luck yet?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@robboj - I finally managed to try on the Airbrake and they're too big for me too - thanks though. I think I'm going to go for the A Frame 2.0 - not headed out until the last week of Jan so I'm going to hang back until I've heard more about the Prizm Rose lens - FYI RX Sport seems to be the cheapest place I've found for the A Frame Prizm but I've never shopped with them so can't vouch for them.

@ed48 - thanks for that - I've heard good things from the HI Yellow but intrigued if the Prizm will be up to par.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can vouch for RxSport as I work there NehNeh. There has been a lot of interest in the Prizm lenses this year, I'll certainly be taking a pair to try out when I go away in Jan. There has been a bit of a delay with supply across Europe with some of the Prizm stock but fingers crossed the bulk should be in the UK before Xmas.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just got prizm rose, will update when try on field in end of December.
The first impression is the tint quite reddish. Prepare to see everything in pink Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pippo thanks! All being well - I'll be making an order shortly!! Would love to hear from you once you've given them a try....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No worries, will let you know how I get on.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@awachsmann, No worries. I'll be going with the A-frames too.

@Pippo, I've used RX Sport before and was very pleased. I like your prices for A-frame Prizm. The polished white frame with Prizm rose is out of stock though, can you find out when you will have them? I'm off on 17th January.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When we get a tad more snow out here in the Trois Vallees i'll report back! I'll hopeful compare to the red sensor from Smith too; people often say that it another great low light option.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@MarkFinSoup, Kinda reckoned that might be the problem but didn't want to say it...
snow conditions
@robboj If they are marked out of stock or coming soon we should be getting them in the next couple of weeks. If you click reserve as soon as they arrive I'll pop you an email to let you know they're back in stock.
snow report
Anyone tested these yet? The idea behind it looks very interesting...
snow conditions
MarkFinSoup wrote:
When we get a tad more snow out here in the Trois Vallees i'll report back! I'll hopeful compare to the red sensor from Smith too; people often say that it another great low light option.

Interested to see how it compares to the blue sensor mirror. I swapped from Oakley HI Yellow to Smith IO-X's with blue sensor mirror a while back and they are great.
I also have a red photochromatic sensor mirror lens, and this is a good lens when it's a bit brighter, but the blue one is the one to compare with for low light.
ski holidays
@Pippo, Having read up a bit more and consulted the Oakley blurb I think I'll go for the jade iridium as its range of conditions seems to be more usable.

They don't seem to be marketed anywhere in the polished white frame as a standard purchase though? Having enquired at Ellis Brigham they can order them for me (apparently from Oakley USA) for £140. At that price I'd almost be as well to purchase the polished white\rose from RX and then order the jade iridium lenses as a spare?

Would you be able to find out if you can get them in polished white/jade iridium and what your price would be? Cheers snowHead
ski holidays
Hey RobboJ the polished white with Prizim Jade iridium is not a standard Oakley colour way, so if you did want that specific one it would be a custom job which does add to the price, however I cant see the A-Frame as an option on the Oakley custom programme so I imagine they would be buying the complete item with a white frame and a lens then getting the prizim lens as a spare and popping it in for you.

The way I'd advise you to do it would be to purchase the polished white with persimmon at £70.99 then purchase the prizim jade iridium lens as a spare when it comes available, fingers crossed they will land on our door just before xmas (rrp £80) So you would be looking around a £150.99 but would have 2 lenses.
latest report
@Pippo, Many thanks, thats a good idea. One thing though is that EB can guarantee delivery with the prizm jade iridium by Xmas. What're your thoughts on the certainty of RX getting a supply of jade iridium in time? I fly on 17th January.
ski holidays
I'm certainly hopeful that we should have stock by xmas. There has been a delay with manufacturing which has effected several models and some prizm lenses. We've been assured that the stock should be landing in europe in the next week or so then it will be shipped to retailers such as us snowHead so 17th Jan should be do able and we would only sell what we physically have stock of.
ski holidays
Seems like the snow is finally hitting the slopes and sounds like low vis in parts which hopefully means someone has used these on the slopes and has raves reviews that they've drastically improved the low vis skiing experience and you'd all rather ski whiteout than bluebird....wishful thinking?
ski holidays
Posting this in the two threads since its a Saturday night and I am bored silly,..

I have always been an Oakley man... Own 4 goggle frames and 22 pairs of sunglasses... Also own anon a1 goggles..

I bought Oakley air brakes with emerald lens(perfect for bluebird days in utah) and persimon(hate that lens and used my anons instead on the 5 April lake effect snow days I got) so this summer I bought a hi yellow and a rose prizm lens.

Skied one day outdoors so far in Scotland... Started bluebird and I had my emerald lens in... Two hours later I tried the rose lens with sunshine and clouds and was very happy.. Weird red tinge but good for those conditions... The light then got very flat for an hour and I struggled for a little while. So put in the hi yellow and for me it certainly was better...

So right now I will carry three lens... Emerald- sun... Rose- mixed days...hi yellow- snowing... The emerald lens is only 13% in so useless unless bluebird. Glad I bought the rose over the jade prism.

Will hopefully ski a couple more times this week assuming the snow survives tomorrow's stupidly warm day and rain. Then off to val thorens for New Years so can add more then...
latest report
awachsmann wrote:
Seems like the snow is finally hitting the slopes and sounds like low vis in parts which hopefully means someone has used these on the slopes and has raves reviews that they've drastically improved the low vis skiing experience and you'd all rather ski whiteout than bluebird....wishful thinking?

Wishful thinking, I'm afraid. Just spent a week in Zillertal with my new Canopy frame with Rose and Jade Iridium Prizm lenses.

First, Rose makes more sense, as it can handle sunshine and is a bit better in flat light.

Second, I was comparing Rose to my old Trespass orangy goggles I had bought for 25 quid in Decathlon a few years ago. Both could handle sunshine, perhaps Rose a bit better because of its likeable tinge (pinkish obviously). But the selling/buying point was obviously flat light conditions. I was hoping for significantly better performance in clouds/fog and to be fair could not see that. Well, maybe sometimes I had an impression the Rose did very narrowly better, but not sure if it was just my subconscience trying to justify expenditure of 160 quid. If it wasn't for the Canopy frame itself which I liked a lot (wide field of view, works well with my nose and helmet), I'd be properly sipped off for having spent that much money. Not sure what to do with Jade lens. It kind of overlaps with Rose. It looks cool though.
latest report
stuarth wrote:

Interested to see how it compares to the blue sensor mirror. I swapped from Oakley HI Yellow to Smith IO-X's with blue sensor mirror a while back and they are great.
I also have a red photo chromatic sensor mirror lens, and this is a good lens when it's a bit brighter, but the blue one is the one to compare with for low light.

Having had a bit of a play on the slopes with the Oakleys, Dragons, and Smith (is it normal to have 5 pairs of goggles?!) i've settled on the Blue Sensor for my lowlight lens for now. That being said, i've not tried the HI Yellow from Oakley.

The Prizm's definitely have a 'pop' to them but I feel like they are more of Oakley's answer to photo chromatic lenses; covering a wide range of conditions yet not being the answer to pure whiteout/lowlight. They were however noticeably better when light changed drastically, going quickly from sun to shade and vice versa.

So Smith I/O's with Blue Sensor for me for this season, and speaking to the Smith rep (in terrible broken French) they also have a Gold Sensor new this year i think, which is supposed to be even better than the blue...
snow conditions
@scottydonald, @wyspa, @MarkFinSoup,

So Santa brought the A frames with the Prizm Rose, with a little help from RX Sport (thanks@Pippo)

Whats the verdict? Do I buy the Jade Iridium as well for brighter days? Going to Obergurgl in a couple of weeks and if it stays as cold as it is it will be goggle weather from an exposure protection point of view as much as anything.
snow report
I reckon Rose alone will do. I was in Zillertal the week before Xmas week and had some sunny weather. When looked directly at the sun, obviously, it was too bright. But that's not what I do when skiing. When looking at the snow on sunny days I had no issues whatsoever. If you're fashion conscious and have spare £80 then Jade is fine as the only thing it does better IMV is looks. Unless there are other aspects I am not aware of, e.g. Jade cuts out more UV (though I wear contact lenses with filters so don't care).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spent a week in Stuben/St Anton just before Christmas: sadly not a lot of snow, but plenty of cloud and bad light along with a limited amount of decent weather. Have a new set of Airbrakes and used the Prizm Rose lens (not much call for the Black Iridium). I have to say that in cloud/fog and very flat light I really didn't see a lot of difference between the Prizm Rose and my old Smith I/O's with either the red or blue sensor - felt the blue sensor might actually have the edge. However, once the fog lifted the contrast was superb and as 'wyspa' points out, they do seem to work across a decent range light conditions.

My eyes are quite sensitive to bright light, so personally I felt that I needed something just a bit darker for brighter conditions, especially late morning/early afternoon (Black iridiums were just too dark for early winter sun), so may give the Prizm Jade Iridiums a go. That said, the overlap between the Rose's and the Black's is theoretically sufficient to just use the 2 lenses.

In Verbier end of Jan so should be able to give them a better run in a range of conditions. Happy to provide an update if there's still interest.
snow report
Prizm Rose, tryed them in Saas Fee recently. Very good in variable comditions, highlights the tracks pretty well. The resort is north side, so not much sun overthere. Still survivable at full sun periods, would not reccomend for full sun day.
When storm came and we get low visibility, could not see anything. For those days hi-yellow will be better I guess.
snow conditions
MarkFinSoup wrote:
I don't think Oakley have published the VLT's of the three Prisms as they are not what you would expect.... I believe (roughly) 5% for the Black Iridium, 17ish% for the Jade, and 25ish% for the Rose(!). Yes, this sounds bizarre but they work by tuning the wavelengths of light coming through, not just by letting lots of light through! e.g a lot more orange and blue are allowed to pass through, but very little else, thus the VLT goes down but contrast is improved.

Having had a play with each of them (compared to Oakley's regular lenses, Fire Iridiums etc etc) they do indeed seem to work considerably better in terms of contrast and making details 'pop' across the whole range.

I've yet to try them on proper snow but will be doing so in the next couple of weeks. I've not compared the HI Yellow to Rose either, but I would expect the Rose to edge it based on what I saw today.

Did you ever try them out?
snow report
It's all very well separating wavelengths but when you have 5% of the light of a sunny day, you have very little to work with.

When it gets really claggy, nothing beats VLT and the Hi Yellow reins supreme. The tint is just enough to give depth to what you are seeing, without sacrificing detail.

I'm using a pair of Oakley Flight Decks with Prizm Iridium and a pair of Hi Yellow Flight Decks for grey days. This offers the best of all options.

By the way, the Flight Decks work really well with the Oakley Mod5 helmet. The helmet brow makes for a perfect fit with the goggles and the venting system draws air through the goggles.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 29-03-19 11:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
jason.peter1986 wrote:
MarkFinSoup wrote:

Did you ever try them out?

In the FIVE years since he posted, I would hope so.....!!
snow report
I tried out the Prizm Rose flight decks in Avoriaz last week, worked surprising well in bright light and also when it got cloud (although not as good as I hoped for). I also have a pair of Hi Pink that I purchased for white out conditions, but didn't need to use them.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy