Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aravis - La Clusaz - Le Grand Bornand - Manigod 2014-15 thread

Poster: A snowHead
@nickr, yes due to rain on Saturday I see Sad we're really hoping it doesn't as we've friends staying next week. Season so mediocre so far OH not even tried out her new boots.....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This morning taking son to GVA for flight it was -6c as sun came up. Tonight at 22.00hr it's 5 degrees c outside and drizzling.
It's totally pants Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Be very interested to see how the 30cm base currently being reported on the lower slope holds up - latest forecasts showing up to 30mm of rain and with high temps I cant imagine its going to fare very well. There is a glimmer of hope in the long range forecast which shows some snow around Thursday / Friday, though I suppose that too could easily fall as rain as there doesn't appear to be a significant fall in temperatures in the forecast.

As you say - totally pants!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well given the rain and what looked like pretty miserable conditions on the webcams today have decided to cancel and go to Val d'Isere. The long range forecast is showing more rain for next weekend too in La Clusaz with temps on Saturday of 12 degrees Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Went shopping in the rain this morning and then true to the forecast the sun came out this afternoon so decided to give it a go. Brown patches of yesterday still around on the lower slopes of LGB but surprisingly quite nice skiing at the maroly sector and a pleasant stop for coffee at col de neige. Some of the rain al least higher up must have translated into light snow so Mr loatie much happier than he thought he would be. Lighter traffic on the existing slopes will help but no one can pretend it's been a brilliant start to the season and I think you made the right decision @nickr, However, we have a beginner joining us on Wednesday and I think there will be enough for her to practice on and for the rest of us to have a few good runs and some beers in the sun! Hopefully winter may start sometime soon?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@nickr, excellent plan, shame you couldn't swap for N America or maybe Greenland. @loatie, thanks for your message, will be in touch.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have 5 weeks before my visit to manigod croix fry so I'm not concerned about the conditions , however is it normal for snow conditions to be as they are now for this time of year?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Renry, no Skullie
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm driving myself mad watching the snow reports and looking at the webcams, firstly some relief due to a forcasted storm that could drop a couple of feet of desperately needed white stuff being predicted then unsurprisingly it's now forecasting nothing more then a dusting. Could this drag on into feb?

How does the conditions at the moment rank in recent history ?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Renry, we have been coming to LGB for a good few years now and we haven't seen a start to the season like this before. However, that in itself doesn't mean much as things can change very quickly and the North facing slopes hold the snow well when it does come. I really do get where you're coming from especially if this your only visit to the slopes this year but as you say you are just torturing yourself at the moment when things could be significantly better by the time yiu come out. If it is of any comfort at all, the conditions may not be great but the pisteurs have done an amazing job witht the snow that is around. Many runs have been kept open and the cannons were going yesterday and last night. We have still managed to have some good skiing and the sun has been lovely to sit in and admire the mountains - a much better scenario than we had thought when it was raining on Sunday. If yiu have a car and don't mind travelling we skied at Les saisies today which was very good and not that far from where yiu will be if yiu fancy a change of scenery. I Really hope that by February all your worries will be behind you and you have a fab time.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@loatie, thanks for that. I'm pretty sure the 4+ weeks we have before we come out is more then enough time for the White stuff to arrive properly. The trouth is I have had my time charging round the whole of the mountain , my children had their first trip last year (croix fry) the are now aged 7 & 9 and both managed to ski all but the steeper reds and the black in merdassier and had great tuition with the ESF. As long as they can do the same this year we will be happy to sit by the slopes and enjoy the view and watch then progress, after some skiing anyway.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What a difference a little 'dusting' makes. I hope the forecast is correct for Sunday and late into next week.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Will be flying out to GB on a nice early Easyjet flight on Sunday 18th, think there's about 20 or so of us due out for that week.

A top up would be lovely but I'm sure there'll be enough to keep us happy, have been spoilt in previous January trips so can't really complain
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update on conditions in LGB. Last skied there Thursday. Sorry to have little good to report. Snow coverage remains v poor for time of year. Duche/Col des Annes remain closed. No off piste at all. At the pistes office they reckon it's the poorest winter for snow coverage since 2006 at least. Pisteurs are moving lots of snow about to keep things open but even so "bread & butter" runs like under the Gettiers lift are down to half their normal width.
Good things? Well, the pistes are very empty, even for mid January. Some nice snow still to be found top of Malory. Can't comment on top of Lachet as we had beginners with us this week. The nicest run on the whole mountain is Envers back to the village. The heavy concentration of snow cannon has meant that it's in great shape and, for once, not crowded.
Hopefully things will change soon. Snow due on Sunday.....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I hope so !

latest report
A warm Saturday Puzzled but as we left this morning after another night of rain Sad the snow had been falling since about 9.00 a.m. It arrived earlier than forecast but was pretty heavy and consistent - unfortunately by the time we had driven to Geneva the sun was out again so not sure quite how much fell but however much it was, it was sorely needed.
Back again on Saturday - by then, the forecast promises more precipitation and hopefully lower temps so it will fall as snow. I'm a glass half full person wink so will enjoy spending the week with family anyway but it would be soooo good if the snow arrives properly.
snow report
Looking a bit more like , snowing heavy and set in for the night and more forecast for tomorrow with colder temperatures during the week

ski holidays
@loatie, so...glad to see your snow spells have kicked into action once more. Bit late this year though, mutters "can't rely on anything these days rolling eyes ....hope to be back out on slopes midweek Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Not sure why on earth I have been worrying, not going until 7th Feb Embarassed
snow conditions
@gvj, lol! I know - a very different scene as we arrived back in lgb today. Can't believe the snow depth here at chinaillon now and sunshine forecast for tomorrow so could be one of those days. Give us a call when you are out and about and we can meet for a coffee perhaps?
Keep the faith@Renry, all will be fine!
ski holidays
Flying out tomorrow at 7am, great timing with a nice colder week ahead
Happy
snow report
Cams looking stunning this morning.
latest report
Just arrived and got into the chalet.

Lovely day to arrive, unfortunately won't make it up today so fingers crossed for some more sun tomorrow

snow conditions
For anyone heading to La Clusaz this season, here's the approved way to ski La Balme Madeye-Smiley
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2658259&sid=03b985df0183726520495c17916009a0
latest report
Change of plan, the sun was out & after the 3am start the otherhalf was happy to stay in and rest with our 5 month old son sooooo...

Some lovely deep powder off the sides in places
latest report
Well it did indeed turn out to be one of those days to remember. Beautiful snow off piste - I'm no expert and it's just as well I have Mr loatie to encourage me, but it was well worth every bit of effort today. Annes chair open and the off piste from there was superb. As was gypaette which I could come to like a lot more if it stayed as soft as this! Pessotays was still closed and it was much better unpisted than the normal pisted run. Sun shone all day and the scenery was pretty spectacular. On piste was good in the main and nice to see more and more runs opening up although the cannons have been on all day and the snow they are producing can catch you out if you're not paying attention. Bring on tomorrow!
Top effort snowscreen! 😄
snow conditions
Bit of a different day today, really poor visibility.
Light snow falling higher up but the result was some pretty flat light.
After lunch stayed low & had some enjoyable runs down around the Gettiers lift, nice & quiet.

Looks like a top up is due tonight of 5-10cm

1 of my favourite spots, snow always seems nice here -

snow report
Has snowed all night in LGB, currently still snowing at 8am with at least a good 10cm at village level.
Fingers crossed the sun makes an appearance this afternoon
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@loatie, @snowscreen, keep that snow coming guys. Currently sorting packing, pets, car and hoping Eurotunnel has got its act together so that we can be back there tomorrow.....can't wait Very Happy
latest report
@gvj, Still snowing & I'd say that 10cm is more likely 20cm. With these lower temperatures it should provide some very good conditions over the coming days

Bread roll made, time to head up there
ski holidays
Well the sun arrived and everyone was happy

Pistes not too hard considering the lower temperatures at the moment, still some nice soft off piste about.
Snow cannons were on in various places

Run of the day was definitely Les Pessotays at the top of the Chatelet chair.
It's a red but they'd left the top half unpisted which meant the top half was nice chopped up powder

Poor quality picture below

latest report
@snowscreen, agreed - much prefer pessotays in its current state. A real bonus sunshine wise today as we weren't expecting it to shine all day which it pretty much did. Some lovely soft powder up at Col des Annes and a very pleasant coffee stop at la duche today. Some nice off piste in the nature reserve and dropping off the top of l'almet and also where the boarder cross track is usually positioned. In fact just a really nice day to be in the mountains.
@gvj, it will still be here for you as it's pretty quiet - Bon voyage and see you soon.
snow report
@snowscreen, @loatie, sounds great. Survived eurotunnel, now warming up house. We're looking forward to getting up there tomorrow.
snow report
Another lovely sunny day, on piste conditions not as hard as I was expecting so that was good.
Off piste starting to get a little heavy unless you ventured further away from marked pistes.
Still some enjoyable powder to go through though

Home for us tomorrow evening

snow conditions
@snowscreen, sorry to miss you - we too were at Chalet du M around noon. That chantilly looks good! Nice to get on the slopes again, we had a great day.
latest report
Was nice and quiet in most places today, think we were at the Maroly around 1:30, popular at lunch as always

Hoping for a bit more sun tomorrow, got time to be on the slopes until 2pm
snow conditions
Yes please !

latest report
Really fine snow falling today, all the cannons on other than at the final part of the home run into LGB

Visibility extremely poor at times

Saw about 20 seconds worth of clear sky when at the top of La Chat and above the cloud but that was all.

Time to pack & go home

ski holidays
About 10 cms of snow fell on Sat as we arrived in La Clusaz. Poor visibility up on Beauregard on Sun morning but the fresh snow made for an enjoyable morning finding our ski legs again. The lower slopes of Aiguille, Le Merle, La Ruade were icy in places by the afternoon. Vast improvement in conditions compared with a couple of weeks ago but more snow is always welcome.
ski holidays
@gayandtaz, looks like plenty forecast for this week, will be interested to see how much of it actually arrives.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy