Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me somewhere different near (2hrs drive) to Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

Booked some flights for last weekend of Jan to take the missus away skiing. We've skied most of the "named" areas around Geneva, Chamonix, Verbier, PdS, and also the ones further afield, Espace Killy, La Plagne, Trois Vallees, 2 Alpes, Alpe D'Huez, Saas Fee, Zermatt

Looking for somewhere different, needs good off-piste, which doesn't necessarily mean a large resort, often smaller resorts are better IMHO.

Can anyone suggest somewhere? Not worried about night life, a decent bar and a few decent restaurants would be good, if it's "scenic" so much the better!

Would prefer a reasonable hotel, if it has pool/sauna for the missus, so much the better!

Ski in/out would be nice, not a big fan of Chamonix type skiing where you need to "pick" your area, drive/bus it there and ski!

The impossible dream, or not????

Regards,

Greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gregh, Try either Leukerbad or Val d'Anniviers (sorry Ise - I know it's your special place). Both look interesting on the maps - clearly more there than meets the eye. Leukerbad is a spa village, and Val'Anniviers is one of the prettiest places I've ever seen (although it was summer at the time).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks Charlotte, Val'Anniviers was on my list, but I thought it was around 3 hrs from Geneva, is that incorrect?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
gregh,
Never been but a friend had a great time off piste in Leysin. Swiss hotels are generally better than French IMHO if that is important.
PS Val d'A is around 3hours by train bus yes.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gregh, you could always give La Rosiere a try., seems to fit all your criteria and on a good day only 2hrs 20mins from Geneva airport, it's also probably one of the most secnic resorts you'll visit with amazing views of the Mont Blanc massif.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
T Bar, cheers, I'll b driving, how far is Val D'A via car?

David - Looked like you were full 28th to 30th Jan, are there hotels in the area?

regards,

Greg
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregh,

I was going to say Val D' A and by car from Geneva I would say 2 hours but I'm guessing on the basis that Verbier is 90 mins. It only up the valley from Sion and Sierre but Snowbunny and Ise would have better ideas.

And when you get back only PM people if its great..!! Laughing

I couldn't get my people to go there in Jan... Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samoens is great too. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gregh, I think you need to start flying to a different airport - looks like you've pretty well exhausted the Geneva 'catchment'!

Flying to Turin, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Zurich etc. can open a wealth of new possibilities.

Sticking with Geneva, Megeve or La Clusaz are worth looking at. Both have scenic skiing, and are practical places to ski. They're both relatively low resorts, but should be OK in late Jan.

Flaine (which I've not skied) has a very good snow record.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
You could try Les Carroz,
There are some nice hotels & resort links to entire Grand Massif area.
www.lescarroz.com
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith wrote:
gregh,
Flying to Turin, Innsbruck, Salzburg, Zurich etc. can open a wealth of new possibilities.

Trouble is not many of the cheaper options are available from "up north" to those airports.

regards,

Greg
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gregh, we are full and so is my son's chalet but I can ask if there are rooms in the Relais du Petit St Bernard, nice hotel near the lifts. Alternatively there's the Belvedere a few Ks from the village with their own shuttle bus, it's a Logis de france so very good value. I'd call the Tourist Office and ask them to help you, their no. is; 0033 4 79 06 80 51, Le Relais is 0033 479 06 80 48, and the Belvedere, 0033 479 06 83 00, alternatively go to our website and click through to the La Rosiere website, you'll find details of the hotels listed, we don't recommend the Ruitor or Le Plein Soliel. Hope you find somewhere, there is a nice little hotel in BSM run by an English couple called the Petit Auberge, don't have their no. to hand but the BSM Tourist Office are sure to have it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm using these people (skiweekender.com) for a long week end in january. Haven't used them before but they pick up from geneva have a pretty simple and clear package to maximise slope time and dealings so far have been pretty good. Not ski in/out though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gregh, Allow 2 1/2 hours to reach Val D'Anniviers from GVA. If you go and like it, don't tell anyone!
JT,
Quote:

I couldn't get my people to go there in Jan...

I really believe that you need some new friends, maybe ones who will listen to your good judgement Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David@traxvax wrote:
.... there is a nice little hotel in BSM run by an English couple called the Petit Auberge, don't have their no. to hand but the BSM Tourist Office are sure to have it.

We stayed at the Petit Auberge and can highly recommend it....although it is quite a way out of the town so not that handy for an apres beer. The restaurant attached to the hotel is absolutely fabulous and the half board deal we got when we stayed was really excellent value.
snow conditions
homphomp, I think, from memory, that I suggested it!
ski holidays
David@traxvax, Yes indeed you did....many thanks we had a fab time!
snow report
gregh, have you tried Les Contamines it seems to fit your requirements pretty well.

I fancy going there with my wife for a long weekend nearer the end of the season.

It also has good snow records Twisted Evil
snow report
I am with provenjohn, on this one. Les Carroz as a base for the Grand Massif would fit the criteria.

Les Contamines would also be okay, but the main lift is a short trek outside the town IIRC
snow report
gregh, I wouldn't have thought much over 2 hours (even that's max). Along the lake - sion - sierre - turn right and you're there. leukerbad is just a bit further along on the left!!

I've been to Les Carroz which was OK, but a fair few Brits, and have heard good things about Les Contamines - no idea about distance though. Go on - be really different - go to Leukerbad!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked (I want to hear what it's like) Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
CP wrote:
I am with provenjohn, on this one. Les Carroz as a base for the Grand Massif would fit the criteria.

Les Contamines would also be okay, but the main lift is a short trek outside the town IIRC

I went to Les Carroz for a weekend last season, but local boy ise warned me about straying off piste due to the number of holes below the snow. It is a nice resort though, and I did sneak off the marked stuff a little - but only between the pistes.

IIR from my researches, there is a decent Hotel next to the lift at Les Contamines. You just have a short treck into town in the evenings then.
ski holidays
I know someone who knows someone with a chalet in les Contamines. I could get info if anyone wanted it.
snow report
I'd second the recommendations of Les Contamines for a weekend. Nice skiing on-piste and off. The village is quite small but has what you need: decent hire shops, a few bars (including possibly my favourite bar in a ski resort anywhere) and some pleasant and reasonably priced hotels. Everyone's really friendly too.

For hotels, I'd recommend the Camille Bonaventure
snow conditions
I wouldn't disagree either! The slopes (but not so much the village) are in a beautiful setting. The village can be very cold, because it doesn't get a lot of sun.
ski holidays
gregh, The estimates you have had for car journeys are more likely to be accurate than any I can give one thing to watch if you drive though is the last bit up from Sierre is very narrow and windy.
ski holidays
T Bar,
Quote:

watch if you drive though is the last bit up from Sierre is very narrow and windy.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Yup wink
latest report
You could try Le Grand Bornand - very close to Geneva, which is important for a weekend.
snow conditions
gregh,

Have you found your ideal pace yet greg?

Thought about La Clusaz? Good off-piste in La Balme at Etale and always worth a trip to Grand Bornand to ski off the Piste 2000 or Maroly area.

Excellent pool complex with steam room and sauna in the town - swim outdoors (and watch all the skiers) or indoors. They do massages and reflexology too!

Lovely restaurants and not too pricey!

5 minutes from the pitses and cable cars and can take you over to grand Bornand in the minibus.

We still have spaces for weekend at the end of January - only £300pp including transfers and good food!

www.gravite.co.uk
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Courmayeur is my tip, lovely atmosphere and enough runs on and off piste if you are only going for a weekend.
snow conditions
Quote:

Courmayeur is my tip, lovely atmosphere and enough runs on and off piste if you are only going for a weekend.

but not if you suffer from claustrophobia - nasty expensive tunnel....
snow report
hmm, thanks for all the tips, the places "just" over 2 hours away are too far I reckon, just checked my flights, we don't land until 22:30 and the flight back is at 19:10, so I reckon some of the closer places like Clusaz, Contamines are worth a look.

If I wait and check the weather nearer the time, could I get a hotel in such places for a few days, last minue?

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
Greg, seems my post above is well-timed!!!!!!!! Little Angel
snow conditions
gregh, you should be OK to get somewhere last minute in les Contamines
ski holidays
snow report
As stated above, Grand Massif would be worth a look at. It's between 1.5 and 2 hours from Geneva and gives you aroud 260Km of piste. Not sure what the off-piste is like though. In Flaine ( the hub ) you almost excactly descibe the apres situation, a few decent bars and some nice restaurants but not for the 24 hour party people. Also, worth checking out photos of this resort as it's 70s "modern". Having said that it does mean that everything is very convenient and easy to get to. The outlying resorts in the domain have the nicer look.
snow conditions
Les Contamines is said by Gervains to have its own eco weather system as it stands in the shadow of Mont Blanc. Certainly worth a weekend visit but I've never stayed there, I've always driven up from Le Fayette. If you are mobile that is a good base for Les C, St Gervais and Chamonix town is about 20 mins away. The hotel we stayed in was Les Duex Gares and Michel is a good host with deserts to die for...

gregh,

Just re-read your initial post and I would say Megeve in good snow would be perfect to take someone to.... Very French, chic and the sking is cruisey.... Apart from Zermatt I can't think of another place that I would go to with the SO if skiing isn't the complete reason...and it doesn't need a great deal of snow depth as the hills are north facing meadows..
snow report
gregh, As suggested, the Grand Massif (Flaine, les Carroz) is great skiing, quiet, undisturbed off piste, but hotels are pretty poor - around 2 to 3 star. Look at Morzine. Some good hotels there, especially the Dahu - all the mod cons the missus would like. Both within 1.5 hours of GVA.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy