Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Intercom for lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

I wear a helmet mounted intercom while skiing and it seems like it would be a useful thing to use for private lessons if the instructor has a matching one too. They have come down a lot in price recently and I am considering buying a 2nd unit to lend to my instructor.

Are there any ski schools that do this already?

Would this work?

Do any instructors have a view on how they would react if a client turned up with an intercom and suggested using it in lessons?

Cheers, Henry
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A lot of instructors don't wear helmets still. Just saying!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Claude B, can you imagine having Charlotte constantly going on about your ankles? Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w, She makes herself heard pretty well without any aids Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agreed on the instructors not wearing helmets - from the look of it I can also get an adapter that will connect the intercom to a standard set of smartphone headphones (inc mic) - the total setup would cost less than an hour of private lesson by my calcs
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Henwc, I'm not so sure.
IMO constant feedback isn't really required and could confuse a learner as their concentration has to be split between the activity and processing the instructions and adjusting their activity accordingly.
I'm not saying it isn't a good idea but your teacher should be close enough to you to not really need a radio system.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As an instructor I think it could occasionally be useful but certainly not essential. If a student had this equipment and wanted me to use it I'd be happy to do so for a private one-on-one lesson. It obviously would not work in a group setting where I might want to be talking to one member of the group without broadcasting it to the rest.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Talking so much that you need a constant link to your pupil means you probably are boring them or just saying far too much that wont go in in the space of a lesson, no need for any link up if they want to tell you something they will stop you or ski past you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Tried it once when testing a prototype bluetooth intercom. Didn't like it, and actually thought it was a hindrance rather than a help. I don't think having a running commentary as you ski down the hill is especially conducive to good skiing or to making changes to your movements. Better to focus on a drill or a particular skill, which is set up at the beginning of the run, and then have feedback from your instructor when you have come to a stop.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It works for motorbike instructors and could potentially work for skiers but it would be dependant on the level of instruction and what is being taught. There is also the issue you may not want others in the group hearing particular comments intended for only one person.

The issue of that nice young instructor telling you to go a bit deeper or push a bit harder when the whole group can hear may cause a few red faces Shocked

The tried and tested method of observing each person ski down giving them one on one tips and exercises to work on during the next run works pretty well.
I think it would be good to try but unsure of how useful it would be.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
not sure i'd want it for running commentary.
but i imagine it might be handy when the instructor is standing there getting cold taking videos half way down the slope, and it might be easier to tell the next person to go rather than waving a pole at a group that are now chatting or ROFLing amongst themselves taking the micky out of the student that's just made a total mess of the task and wiped out in a yardsale.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Probably a good idea if the instructor has a good vocal range - I'm thinking Immigrant Song for pace, Single Ladies for particular body contorting drills etc.

More generally it's a terrible idea unless you are doing specific one to one coaching on top to bottom runs. i.e. max time spent running at full pace.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I could sing you down the hill Laughing
But yeh I'd give it a go, come down to Hemel wink
I sometimes think that it would help beginners-intermediates with timing to have an external count or "stand-tap-turn" or "the other right" etc on a 1 to 1 lesson
I respect Rob's experience. It wouldn't supersede current practice but may enhance it if used judiciously on learners that appreciate the verbal input.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have you moved to the southern hemisphere FC, you usually the post in the small hours?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1 wrote:
Have you moved to the southern hemisphere FC, you usually the post in the small hours?

Nearly, I am in Kent. South of the Thames Laughing
snow conditions
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Probably a good idea if the instructor has a good vocal range - I'm thinking Immigrant Song for pace, ......

http://youtube.com/v/hC-T0rC6m7I

Nice but I prefer......

http://youtube.com/v/ZGORPUzLxtU

snowHead
snow report
I have headsets that I use when teaching/guiding visually impaired students. Mostly when the skier is moving I guide them, with occasional reminders if necessary, and any "teaching" - feedback, explanations, instructions etc. happen when we're standing still.
With V.I. skiers the headset is great as it saves my voice. I'm sure you can imagine how hard it is to be constantly talking to someone skiing behind you at a volume that they can hear through a helmet over the sound of wind, other people, machinery, hard snow and sometimes wink ice!
I've never been tempted to use it with anyone else. I agree with @rob@rar, about the running commentary issue. If I think that a student would benefit from a running commentary then I get them to talk to themselves.

I think the difference with motorbike instructors is that it is not so easy to randomly find a safe place to stop at the side of the road so having a direct link to the student would be useful. It would be interesting to talk to a motorbike instructor about it and see what they say though.
ski holidays
I talk a lot when I'm teaching. Works for my students.

Luckily I have good pipes, so don't need this.
snow report
I wouldn't need one as I probably speak too loudly anyway at times and not sure I'd always want everything to be heard.
ski holidays
Quote:

It wouldn't supersede current practice but may enhance it if used judiciously on learners that appreciate the verbal input.

If you had to use it at all and especially in somewhere as small as a dome then you must be talking too much Smile , when in that small period of time could you really advise them and hope they process it to make it worthwhile, more likely to distract them I think.
snow report
I have had to use an intercom when doing advanced motorbike training with the police, but was used less as a tool to pass instructions (apart from the odd direction or "you missed x or why) from instructor to instructed but mainly for the instructee to provide a running commentary. One of the key things they want to see is your observation and this is achieved by you telling the instructor over the intercom what you are seeing and why you are changing position or speed as a result of those observations.

I can see some uses under ski instruction but as others had suggested feel these are limited.

That doesn't mean they couldn't have their uses.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the advice guys - I see what you mean about not wanting a running commentary - I tend to ski better when I am not over thinking so I guess it's a distraction I might not need! Cheers Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy