Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lidl skiwear in on 20th Nov. NoPro cameras £79.99

Poster: A snowHead
Lidl's stuff in on the 20th. I bought their waterproof camcorder last year. Excellent picture quality. This year's model is cheaper and has wifi.

http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=18297
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How does this one compare with the entry level go-pro ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The main thing about cameras is the readout and dynamic range for snow sports IMHO.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And Aldi should have their ski wear on December 4th this year.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 13-11-14 22:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jnr has been using a Crivit helmet for a few years and he quite likes it (even though he's been eyeing up a Poc for some time). He customised it by covering it in stickers but it still does the job.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
glasgowcyclops wrote:
The main thing about cameras is the readout and dynamic range for snow sports IMHO.

Don't know what that means. Embarassed

The camera that I bought did come with a large secretion of mounts for chest, helmet, surfboard, handle bars etc etc.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boxycam in tupperware box. No tech details. £20 cheaper than base gopro4. Does have wifi for smartphone control, which go pro doesn't. But if you're using a cam in snow, are you going to get your phone out, take off your gloves, plibb the record button, put the phone away and put your gloves back or; or rather tap a one-touch-record button on the unit and get on with it.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So, is this cam any good?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rishie wrote:
So, is this cam any good?

Another thread going round in circles Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good as gopro? Probably not.
Good as any one of the identikit clones on eBay for under £50? Probably.

Will you get epic footage you'll treasure a lifetime/get discovered as the next Xavier de La Rue? Probably not.
Will you get dull footage you'll question why you bothered with and sit on your HDD like a toad in a stone for 10 months waiting for editing? Probably.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@musher, Toofy Grin

@Richard_Sideways, don't know why I even considered one (or any cam) for a second. All the video WILL sit on a HDD and be forgotten.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It is a rebranded Helix Sport Action Camera, Techmoan reviewed the non wifi version:- http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/9/22/time-lapse-fun-with-the-dxg-dvs-5k8-action-camera.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Boxycam in tupperware box. No tech details. £20 cheaper than base gopro4.

You can get a gopro 4 for £99.99? Where?

Or have a totally mis-read that?!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The new entry level go-pro Hero direct from GoPro themselves
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ahh.. that's just the base gopro not the gopro 4 (which is about £290 on that site). But I do get the point you're trying to make, is it better to get a nopro or spend an extra £20 on a basic gopro. I'm definitely with the latter.
ski holidays
I'm no fan of the GoPro, I think the form factor is just stupid. But given the choice, at that sub-£100 price I'd choose one because you're tying into that whole GoPro channel of support/software/patching/spares and so on.
snow report
Need goggles and a skid lid for my 7 year old. No mention of this on the site Sad
ski holidays
NoPro/GoPro, the name says it all really...............
ski holidays
sequoiaboard wrote:
glasgowcyclops wrote:

The camera that I bought did come with a large secretion of mounts for chest, helmet, surfboard, handle bars etc etc.

Okay in normal terms. Read out is essentially the frame rate.

Dynamic range is the range of intensities that the pixels can handle. If it is small, the amount of light form the snow will saturate it.
ski holidays
glasgowcyclops wrote:
sequoiaboard wrote:
glasgowcyclops wrote:

Dynamic range is the range of intensities that the pixels can handle. If it is small, the amount of light form the snow will saturate it.

That's half an answer wink

So what would be constitute a poor/average/good dynamic range ot frame rate?
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Boxycam in tupperware box. No tech details. £20 cheaper than base gopro4. Does have wifi for smartphone control, which go pro doesn't. But if you're using a cam in snow, are you going to get your phone out, take off your gloves, plibb the record button, put the phone away and put your gloves back or; or rather tap a one-touch-record button on the unit and get on with it.

But could be used to check that you have it at a decent angle rather than a few hours of sky/ground... Like I saw some lads we were sharing a chalet trying to edit.
snow conditions
musher wrote:
glasgowcyclops wrote:
sequoiaboard wrote:
glasgowcyclops wrote:

Happy

Well if you want my pet hate it is megapixels.

Ohh it is 5Mpix. But hold on....... you are slapping the movie on youtube. So a 2mpix at 30fps native with optical zoom is what I would consider to be the max you would need. If you want full screen et c then 4Mpix at 30fps.
snow conditions
glasgowcyclops wrote:
musher wrote:
glasgowcyclops wrote:
sequoiaboard wrote:
glasgowcyclops wrote:

Happy

Well if you want my pet hate it is megapixels.

Ohh it is 5Mpix. But hold on....... you are slapping the movie on youtube. So a 2mpix at 30fps native with optical zoom is what I would consider to be the max you would need. If you want full screen et c then 4Mpix at 30fps.

So I need at least 5 megapixels and a selfie stick then Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Of course Happy
snow report
and a perspex lid Shocked
snow conditions
faithsdaddy wrote:
Need goggles and a skid lid for my 7 year old. No mention of this on the site Sad

There is, at £19.99 or are they just adults ones?

Must admit I am eyeing up the one in SportsDirect £14.99 coming In on 1st December for my 8yr old.
snow report
Well, a trip to Lidl managed to fill me with delight, like a Labour MP sneering at white van man I was able to enjoy poking around the skiwear almost completely without competition. In fairness the Uxbridge store is hardly core demographic for skiwear, but it got me in there so they must be getting something right.

They've got some thick thermal base layers which should be pretty good, certainly cheap, and if they last a week before the crotch wears through they'll be value for money Smile

The helmets I was impressed with. Good design, with plenty of vents, ones on the top closeable, a good sized vent in the front to stop goggles steaming, and generally looked like any other helmet on the market, lightweight, no branding or anything and a few colours available. Sadly didn't fit my melon, but I'd quite happily reccomend them to anyone else to give them a try, and at £20 they must be one of the cheaper options out there.

No sign of the cameras though, but not really in the market for one of those.
latest report
Mistress Panda wrote:

No sign of the cameras though, but not really in the market for one of those.

When i went in to our local Lidl a year ago I couldn't find ant cameras. I asked a staff member and they said that it was company policy to keep things like that in the office or they would all mysteriously disappear within a couple of hours of being put on display. Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mistress Panda wrote:
Well, a trip to Lidl managed to fill me with delight, like a Labour MP sneering at white van man I was able to enjoy poking around the skiwear almost completely without competition.

You should have tried the Grenoble store, there are regular fights including for the ski gear on Monday. On the day they had Jott clone insulated jackets some burd bought all the medium pinks causing more cat-fights in the aisle. I'm surprised it isn't worse in the UK.
snow report
Bought glasses with inter changeable lenses for £7 and goggles for £8. What a bargain! Toofy Grin
snow report
I got my camera off amazon for £50 ish and it came with a million different attachments. its fantastic, and I bought it after seeing some camera comparisons on you tube.
latest report
Picked up a spare helmet ( to leave in France ) and a spare pair of gloves. £26 , cant complain
snow report
Went in today looking for a helmet for me and my partner. There was one in store. It was marked a L but nowhere close to fitting my 58cm circumference head. Unfortunately there was not much else in 'ordinary' sizes so a pretty fruitless jaunt. My search for a helmet continues!
ski holidays
Sizes of all Lidl gear are indecipherable - you just have to get them out and try them on.

Got a good ski jacket for our 11 year old for a tenner !
Matching salopettes at 10 to 12 would have fit me, but couldn't find any 8-10s, even though the mag advertised them Sad
ski holidays
I got three pairs of ski-socks for our youngest - at a bargain price of under 2 quid a pair. And five pairs of the ski-socks for the eldest at a (comparatively) expensive fiver a pair. The wife called in half an hour later and bought the remaining three pairs for youngest!

So should be plenty of socks for them both for this winter and next summer's UK race season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy