Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorra - Few questions!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

1. Is it risky booking everything for Andorra now, our dates are 12th December - 19th 2014? I have checked some forecasts and it says nothing forecasted for the next week, but also believe Andorra resorts aim to open in the last week of november?

2. Is it best to book ski pass and equipment rental online? The prices I've got from the Soldeu website are £190 for ski pass with lunch and £50 for skis and boots?

We're 4 students so trying to do this as cheap as possible. At the moment the total is £443 excluding spending money which we are very happy with. After looking at Morzine originally we put ourselves off due to the possibly of no snow.

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
Tj
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hodgey66, welcome to SnowHeads!

The season in the Pyrenees tends to start in late November, and in the last handful of years there's been plenty of snow on the dates you mention. It snowed a little last week all across the Pyrenees and it looks like there'll be more coming over the next couple of days - but then it'll followed by higher temperatures. Basically, it's impossible to say what the conditions will be like, but in all but a very bad kick-off you'll have snow there, and of course the Andorran resorts have excellent extensive snowmaking. I'd go for it if you're piste skiers.

Unless you're going with a tour operator who can quote you a great deal, equipment rental is definitely best booked online via one of those cheap rental sites. (I used to use snowrental.com but I don't know what it's like these days.) They will most probably get you rental from Ski Calbo which is a good, large shop in the gondola station at Soldeu.

I don't know about the ski passes though; again, would depend on tour operator prices if you're using one.

Quote:
After looking at Morzine originally we put ourselves off due to the possibly of no snow.

I'm not familiar with the Alps so I can't really comment about the relative likelihoods. Anecdotally, the Pyrenees had a great start last year while various parts of the Alps were really suffering. But of course, the reverse is true in some years! It's a lottery. Go to a place with good snowmaking... and Andorra offers that. (You might be interested in the Pyreenes thread in the Snow Reports forum of this site.)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've been to Soldeu for the past two seasons and though I can't really comment on what it's like in Dec (have been in Feb & Mar), it's an excellent ski area particularly suitable for beginners/intermediates. The snow has been amazing the times I've been - at least on the piste, can't comment on off piste (if indeed there even is any).
I seem to remember you get an especially good deal if you book lessons with ski pass as a package on the grandvalira website. I'd really recommend the ski school, you get shown all the best places and it's great fun.
Also I've hired skis from the Pic Negre store each time I've been and always had decent stuff but never tried Calbo - though Calbo is probably better located as it's right under the gondola.
There's good nightlife in Soldeu and think it's a bit less expensive than France/Italy etc for food & drink.
The transfer is quite long if you are taking a coach from the airport but they do seem quite frequent and I haven't had any issues with them. There's two companies - Direct Bus and Novatel (have tried both).
Some of my favourite runs are in Soldeu - really want to get back there this season Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy