Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are your goals for this season?

Poster: A snowHead
My goals are to try and improve more. Started to be able to keep up more with the better skiers in the group. Would like to sneak off for some instruction before the 1st main trip on 14th Dec. But that's looking less likely now as friends can't get out for another week.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@trainee snowboard jedi, not quite sure what you mean by "mastering" off piste? You're on a snowboard, right? What can possibly go wrong?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmmm -- smiles are my goal. And doing better at the tele champs than I did last year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. To not fall over when skiing with my 5 year old (having the mickey taken out of you by a 5 year old for this is galling !!)
2. To stay faster than my 5 year old
3. To improve - with a little more off-piste and moguls
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
@trainee snowboard jedi, not quite sure what you mean by "mastering" off piste? You're on a snowboard, right? What can possibly go wrong?

For a numpty like me, it's called falling over. On a board it's a different technique with different control inputs between on and off piste. In the limited off piste I have done, I've found that I over compensate on the turn and end up falling. Need to get that sorted before I get in a helicopter.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To learn to snowboard.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:

Have you ever tried to find a place to sit down off piste? wink Laughing Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
To finally 'crack' the Espace Killy.

What does 'to crack' mean?

I also want to do this so let's compare notes

When are you going?

Nothing booked as of yet.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarpa wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Have you ever tried to find a place to sit down off piste? wink Laughing Laughing

That would be a waste when there are perfectly good pistes you can sit in the middle of Laughing Laughing

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 12-11-14 19:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm here since I almost croaked a few months ago - one type of general anaesthetic and I appear to have a few 'issues' we need to resolve...

I then made the decision, after years of admiring from a distance (well, the nearest telly and the Skiing World Cup, add to that being addicted to watching all types of bob and luge, pretty much anything on snow and ice I suppose), that I was going to take up skiing in my thirties, something I've wanted to do since I was a tweenager.

With the double aim of both getting fit and getting slope-ready, I've been hitting the gym since the beginning of October and nailing almost every target I hit. I've more than doubled my cross-country speed and distance within a set time limit and as a Brucie bonus have managed to get quads like a professional wrestler... Laughing

With a month still to go, I feel doubling up again on the cross-country targets is going to be a tough cookie but look forward to being able to deadlift in three figures.

Anyway, that's got the grand sum of sod all to do with skiing down a mountain. Target one, get down a mountain. Target two, do it without breaking anything. Target three, get an easy red out of the way (my local slope has one) before the end of the season. Target minus one - get lessons.

HURRY UP AND SNOW YE WEATHER GITS (We got a few centimetres last week, but then the temps rose again... Evil or Very Mad)!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1. push out a baby before Christmas (I am currently 36 weeks pregnant)
2. Spend 2 weeks in Morzine in April after surviving the drive down with a toddler and 3 month old
3. Sit on that first chair lift, child free, taking a deep breath of mountain air while swinging my skis under my feet. Relax.

Not much then!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Farry wrote:
1. push out a baby before Christmas (I am currently 36 weeks pregnant)
2. Spend 2 weeks in Morzine in April after surviving the drive down with a toddler and 3 month old
3. Sit on that first chair lift, child free, taking a deep breath of mountain air while swinging my skis under my feet. Relax.

Not much then!

Wow, good on you for this, too many parents these days never leave their kids alone.

I remember going to Val D when my eldest was 4 months old and my wife looked so happy as we got on that first lift with our daughter back at the chalet with a nanny.

Have fun in Morzine, although the driver there might be 'interesting'
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1. Ski as much as possible.

2. I've joined the Lake District Ski Club so I hope to realise a long standing ambition to ski in the lakes-the tow is 25-30 mins form home.

3. Try some ski touring with the possibility of trying some locally

4. Be fitter and healthier for skiing than I was last season. Got knocked off my motorbike this time last year and whilst I recovered in time for ski trips I was fat and unfit.

5. Attend a bash, end of season one looking favourite at the moment.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had a knee replacement back in July so will be happy just to make it down the mountain. Really looking forward to skiing pain free this year. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Get better - recently decided to switch back to skiing after spending 17 years on a board. I'm surprised at my progress but want to try and get to a similar level on skis to where i was on a board (long term)

This winter just make sure my son enjoys his first trip to the mountains.
ski holidays
Thanks. We took our first when she was 4 months old. She's been to La Tania, Val D'Isere, Chamonix, Gerlos, Morzine, the list goes on! We've driven and flown. Not sure about the drive with two on board, but it's going to be worth the effort!
snow report
Diagnosed with cancer in October last year. Having had some wonderful care from the nhs and my long suffering partner over the last twelve months it'll be good just to be out there on the slopes. One month today and counting, come on snow!
ski holidays
Making sure that my bacon is protected by the helmet that I've not been forced to wear.

Oh, and to spend less time reading SH!
snow report
@nailzstomp, I never touched skis until I was 35, now I am a total addict.
snow conditions
My goal? Quality over quantity. Try to time my skiing holidays to be as much fun as it can be.

If I don't feel like skiing, or if the condition is dangerous, I won't ski.

The goal is to have fun rather than ski one more day, or even one more run.
snow report
Not to lose a single ski day to a hangover rolling eyes

Now, being more realistic, I want to do a 2000m vert ski tour and I would love to ski off-piste in Krippenstein
snow report
@Kooky, The Krip is a cert. Four of us can get a guided day for about €75 each Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I have avoided stating any goals, coz I don't really have any. But reading other posters goals makes me grateful for how fortunate a hand I have been dealt (so far at least) in life.
I just want to keep wanting it I guess, to keep lucky and be able to ski. My OH, a very timid skier, who has more skills than she thinks, has always wanted to ski The White Lady with a smile on her face, reckon that would do me for the season.
ski holidays
@dode, I think I skied the White Lady for the first time after waaaay too much to drink the night before. The second time (the following day) three of us skied it, wondering why it was so rutted, icy and teeth rattling. We then realised that the clocks had gone forward the night before and the pistes still needed another hour to soften up Laughing
So, I suppose one of my goals could be to ski it when I am feeling fully fit and conditions are favourable Toofy Grin
ski holidays
My new goal , is to educate SH that there are alps in more countries than France. If I see one more post, when going to the alps,,,,,,,,,etc, and they mean when going to france. I will scream
ski holidays
biddpyat wrote:
My new goal , is to educate SH that there are alps in more countries than France. If I see one more post, when going to the alps,,,,,,,,,etc, and they mean when going to france. I will scream

Maybe the best way would be to take us all round these other places ( I think a couple of full seasons all expenses paid might just cover it ) wink snowHead
latest report
To use this opportunity to ski every weekend and gain confidence and get better.
ski holidays
Mine is to get my son into the impossible to get into creche ASAP so that I can have at least a couple of mornings up the mountain this season!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's the first time that I'm lucky enough to be living near the mountains for a couple of months and my main goal is to make good use of it Very Happy With that in mind, I've already taken the train down 2 separate days this month to Verbier and Saas-Fee and I plan to go out skiing a day in every weekend untill christmas week. You could say I'm excited, yes Wink I'll also normally have my first ever Ski de Randonnée outing middecember. I've been wanting to try it for a while and it's an organised outing with other university students, acceptable for beginners like me so it's an absolutely great opportunity. And then my final goal is just trying to improve this season, in skiing and fitness.
ski holidays
My goal is to build my confidence to ski off piste....
snow conditions
Improve technique on reds.
Attempt some blacks.
Get my daughter skiing the reds with me.
Get my son on skis.
Ski longer each day and not be tempted by the Apres Ski so much.

Spend time in the alps which I believe is only in France. Smile @speed098,
latest report
My goal is to ski. I have two holidays booked, and had talk of more cheeky few days. We managed nearly five weeks last year. However, thanks to my dog who ran into me, I have ligament damage, and am in a leg brace with a MRI in a couple of weeks. Physio has already started, but I have been told it can take 4-6 months to recover. Please cross everything for me, not when you are skiing/ boarding
Of course, that I make it back onto the snow sometime next spring.
latest report
More lunch, less skiing. Maybe nail a few tough pistes between lunch and dinner. Be less susceptible to peer pressure to ski before lunch.
snow report
To improve a bit so my daughter doesn't leave me too far behind. Learn how to ski lumps and bumps - I fall over when I as much as look at a mogul field.
snow report
To learn how to Ski Moguls.I can go down red and black slopes fine when there are no moguls but when i encounter them i fall the whole way down.
snow report
To enjoy whatever skiing I get in as much as possible.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
What are your goals?
Every season it's to beat my (and Mrs MA's) 'endless winter' of 2009-10 when we fitted in 54 days on snow (around full time jobs) between Oct and July - starting and finishing on European glaciers. We even added a day in the August when we hiked up Cairngorm to ski a snow patch from the previous winter.

Ah that was a good year, I think I got 51 days. That was the start of my second year of my PhD, not sure if I should be please I managed to ski so much as a PhD student or pi55ed I didn't take more advantage of being a student and get even more days in!

I don't feel I have really clear goals this year, hmm

Get a job so I can afford to ski
Touring in Scotland
Then the same as this year I think which was to try and ski more bumps and really try and work on my on piste technique.
Oh and push myself more, fed up being told I need to push myself more.
ski holidays
Do some day tours on days off from work including skinning up mt yotei and skiing down into the crater.
snow conditions
To go on some more touring adventures and enjoy the experience. Improve my overall skiing and ski some gullies in Obergurgl that I've been looking at for a number of years.
snow report
@FullyTucked,
Quote:

To learn how to Ski Moguls

How do you turn on one bump? If you can't turn properly on one, how do you expect to turn on many?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy