Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arabba

Poster: A snowHead
Will be in Arabba 17/01/15 and would appreciate restaurant recomendations and any info re off piste guiding. I am aware there are guides based in Corvora? Can you get there quickly from Arabba? Had hoped to go to birthday bash but sadly unable to make the date. Many thanks in anticipation of info.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes you can ski to Corvara relatively quickly - not sure on exact time, but I'd say around 20-30 mins (that's what it felt like, but I may be wildly wrong!).

Miky's Grill right next to the base of the Burz lift was very good. There'll be loads of SHs with recommendations as it's one of the annual bash destinations.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@peter w, Corvara is about 15-20 mins from Arabba on skis but if you are first on the lift and ski reasonably quick, then 10 mins is possible. Regarding guiding, the Arabba Ski School (http://www.scuolasciarabba.com) has some excellent ski guides, who take clients to the Val Mesdi above Colfosco and Corvara but accessed via Passo Pordoi towards Canazei. The trees above Corvara also offer great off piste skiing when there's good snow but this is relatively easy I think compared to the trek and ski down the Val Mesdi.

There's a lot of threads about restaurants in the Sella Ronda but nearly all are very good and reasonably priced. Did you mean on the mountain or in Arabba btw ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pokemon thanks. Mountain restaurants please, as I think evening meal is included at the hotel.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for Micky's Grill - good value IMO.

Can't recall the name, but the place at the top of the Burz lift (to the right as you travel up the lift) wasn't too bad from one experience.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The place at the top of the Burz lift was completely rebuilt last year. So civilised it even has a lift down to the loos.
In a normal year, most in Arabba probably wouldn't visit there, since it's not really a last place on the last ski back in to town. But of course last year, that was the only piste that was open for a few days when we were there.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't go wrong in the Dolomites - never had a bad meal.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Try Mister X next to to the Burz lift for great burgers and schnitzel and chips - good value for money. It's very small, so get there before the ski school instructors go for lunch, or you can order and eat outside too. Also Bec de Roces at the top of the second chair out of Arabba does amazing pizzas in the upstairs restaurant. If you get there early enough you get a table in the front part of the restaurant with superb views over the mountains. It's always our last treat before going home each year - the kids love it. There is also a very good pizza place just round the corner from the Burz lift in town, called Albergo Pordoi. They are very friendly and it's cheap too. At the top of the Porta Vescovo lifts there is a modern, self-service restaurant, but most hot food is cooked to order and is very tasty. It's handy for meeting non-skiers for lunch. I will also agree that Mickey's Grill is very good, we go there at least once every holiday.

We have used the ski school many times and can highly recommend Alex Martini, both as an instructor and a guide. He had taught our children and took us for a great day in Cortina in February. He was a member of the Italian ski team and skis fast, so you get high mileage with him.

Have a great time in Arabba. It's our favourite ski resort.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 12-11-14 14:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@peter w, you can get to Corvara very easily, but Arabba is a better starting point for off piste routes in the Sella group and off the Marmolada, which are certainly among the best in the area. The guides from Corvara will happily meet you in Arabba. Francesco Tremolada comes very highly recommended and his (bilingual) book, "Freeride in Dolomiti" is a worthwhile purchase if you want to get an idea of just how much epic terrain is out there. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd forgotten Mister X (as mentioned above by FionaG) - def recommend there, too. Very reasonable and good quality.

I'd also highly recommend Alex Martini - he's a downhill racer (was in the Italian development team before sustaining a bad injury which temporarily put paid to those ambitions) who switched to ski cross (skied with Daron Rahlves amongst others) whilst getting back into shape. Anyway, he is a top guy and excellent instructor, from personal experience. He was highly recommended by one of the ski-school directors who I happened to find myself chatting with at some point.

He video'd me skiing at some pace on a red run....he was skiing backwards Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Loads of great off piste - especially the tougher stuff, and certainly needing a guide. Basically there is mostly, relatively easy skiing in the valleys, above which spectacular rock walls and pinnacles shoot up. There are cracks between these walls, down which wonderful off piste colouirs can be accessed. Also very good (more open) off piste off the Marmolada . Val Mesdi is the classic Italian Vallee-Blanche equivalent (with short walk to get to it) and the only off piste much skied in the area (the Italians mostly don't ski off piste). Arabba is certainly the best base for good skiers on the Sella Ronda and has a few good tougher pistes.

Francesco Tremolada ( info@proguide.it )wrote the off-piste book for the area but may be booked up. However he might suggest someone else, if so.

See http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/50606-TR-Dolomites-17-25-March?highlight=Dolomites for aTR of one of our Arabba holidays by my (snowhead) friend "Horizon" aca Cedric.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The restaurant by Santa croce in Pedraces / la Villa is excellent (sorry, can't remember the name)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rifugio santa croce Wink
or Schutzhaus Heilige Kreuz, or La Crusc (because it's in one of the Ladin areas)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@andy, Cheers !
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@peter w,

Dug out this TR from Norris in 2013

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97141

some superb photos......... Smile and a nice 'appetiser' for the forthcoming season....

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 19-11-14 20:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@peter w, apologies for the delay in replying. There's loads to choose from but one of my favourite meals on the mountain is the Ribs at the Utia Punta Trieste (commonly known as the Owl Bar). Lovely although packed at a lunch time. http://www.puntatrieste.it/index.php/en/
snow report
sean1967 wrote:
Can't go wrong in the Dolomites - never had a bad meal.

Would totally +1 that.

There is a fairly new restaurant on the mountain at the halfway station of the gondola to PortaVescovo which when I went there was very very quiet. Big roomy space. The chef cooked spag bol for us while chatting to us (in English) cooked in minutes. Best spag bol I've ever had. Was 5 years ago when i was there but still think about it every time I have spag bol since!

Make sure you go for Pizza in the village too... ...on second thoughts don't it'll ruin every pizza you ever have afterwards!
ski holidays
Actually, @peter w doesn't seem to have been on here since the 10th.
latest report
@snowball, - Nothing like talking to yourself (ourselves....) !!!
latest report
@pokemon, the Utia Punta Trieste does sound tempting - although I don't often find myself in the Pralongia area around lunchtime (other than last year when coming over to the Sella Ronda from the PreBBWUW and the days at the BB last year when we could not venture too far from Arabba).
ski holidays
Have been busy! Very many thanks for all the recomendations. It must true what they say. "Snowheads know all the answers"
ski holidays
albob wrote:
@snowball, - Nothing like talking to yourself (ourselves....) !!!

Please keep chatting!! Will be in Arabba 7-16 Jan and any tips gladly received.
snow report
Oh, nearly forgot, the place halfway down the hidden valley from Lagazuoi, the Rifugio Scotoni is also a great lunch stop if you're over that way
latest report
@daveogg, I will be Arabba 10-17 Jan. Maybe our paths will cross. Snow & weather permitting we hope to "do" Marmolada, WW1 tour inc. hidden valley, Cortina, Santa Croce, Ortisei expeditions with good lunches.
snow report
@Lechbob, Great, I'll PM you closer to the time and make plans!
snow conditions
A random survey the other year indicated that the best goulash soup was found in the small modern rifugio at the very bottom of the Cir "black" run down from the Dantercepies lift - you have to follow it all the way down to the cross crountry ski area rather than forking left to back to the Dantercepies valley station.
ski holidays
If you want to have lunch at Rifugio Scotoni halfway down the Hidden Valley, make sure you book in advance. It is always heaving and you will wait ages if you haven't booked.
ski holidays
I hate goulash soup.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@SteveM, that rifugio is a real winner. Couldn't recommend the goats cheese risotto highly enough. in fact anything I've had there has been superb. Plus wine and coffees are great value - €1.30 each if I remember correctly.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy