Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What made Britain's most elite ski instructors convert to helmets?

Poster: A snowHead
I drove my skidoo over your skis last night
(ooh aah ooh aah)
I threw me skipole at your dog to keep quiet
(ooh aah ooh aah)
Now something's telling me
That you'm avoiding me
Come on now darling you've got something I need

[Chorus] Cuz I got a brand new shiny helmet
An' I'll give you a polishing cloth
Come on now let's get together
In perfect harmony
I got a BASI level 2
An' you got forty-three
Now I got a brand new shiny helmet
An' I'll give you a polishing cloth
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gerry Aitken, director, Ski Club of Great Britain wrote:
Scurrilous rumour spreading, snide innuendo, gutter 'jouralisim', libel, derange conspiracy theorist, ramblings of a mad man or fair comment?
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2606926&highlight=&sid=2e8edcfdea3705a7c551380be8e14cba

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-And-Snowboarding-general?discussionID=14944#.VGPvN2fOoig

Gerry Aitken, director, Ski Club of Great Britain wrote:
Let's not forget that this person has made a habit of giving very dodgy safety advice: http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/discussion.aspx/Skiing-And-Snowboarding-general?discussionID=9338#.VGN7tMmQFMM

Also, you're no one in the ski industry, or snowsports community in general, unless DG has implicated you in an evil conspiracy. He's tried to implicate me in at lest ten over the last 10-years. He lives in a world where no written sentence actually means what it says if he say it doesn't.

He's an annoying imbecile.

Gerry Aitken, since you're perfectly able to post comments on snowHeads directly, why not do it there? In that way a proper conversation can take place. You're posting on a site - skiclub.co.uk - which I've been banned from, because I've been expelled (on spurious grounds, and by a spurious procedure) from the SCGB itself.

Having secured my banning and expulsion, it's not impressive to level personal attacks against me on a forum where I've no means of reply. As usual, you're doing the reputation of the Ski Club of Great Britain no good at all.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Gerry Aitken, since you're perfectly able to post comments on snowHeads directly, why not do it there? In that way a proper conversation can take place.

Yes, that normally does work out well...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

Having secured my banning and expulsion, it's not impressive to level personal attacks against me on a forum where I've no means of reply. As usual, you're doing the reputation of the Ski Club of Great Britain no good at all.

This banning lark seems to be catching in the ski industry. Just as well Brits aren't any good at it or the politics really would be a joy to behold.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Comedy Goldsmith, You are spreading lies here without concern for those you are speaking about, but get offended when you are under the impression you are the victim! rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Fattes13, yesterday wrote:
not a single trainer I have ever had on a course has worn a helmet!

I believe you.

Fattes13, today wrote:
You are spreading lies here without concern for those you are speaking about

If you're going to make that kind of accusation, do it in person ... not as "Fattes13"

Those I'm "speaking about" have their backs turned to the camera in this particular shot. But surely they are BASI trainers.

I believe you that trainers haven't worn helmets when training you. But clearly, this (apparent) BASI demo team is 100% helmetted.

Is that for protection - what risk of head injury? BASI demos have happened for decades without incident, as far as I'm aware - or is it by promotional agreement?

Let's just get the facts on the table ... as to why this BASI team is fully helmetted.

Any member of the team care to comment?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
can't comment on the specifics, but maybe, just maybe they had just been doing some speed/gate work in which case helmets wouldn't be a bad call. If they choose not to wear a helmet when teaching snow plough to beginners then that's up to them.

As an aside I'm actually curious as to whether some message has gone out to members reminding them that their licence may be revoked if they participate in free discussions about BASI/ESF/SB etc.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

As an aside I'm actually curious as to whether some message has gone out to members reminding them that their licence may be revoked if they participate in free discussions about BASI/ESF/SB etc.

WTF!? No, in the same way as there is no helmet agenda. Where does this garbage come from?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevomcd wrote:
Quote:

WTF!? No, in the same way as there is no helmet agenda. Where does this garbage come from?

I never suggested any helmet agenda (i know you didn't say i did just being clear) and the basi was a casual observation as a complete outsider. I for one was completely and utterly bored with the subject and circuitous arguments therein. It may be that everyone else was completely bored of it like myself, but the discussions stopped dead that is all.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am not hiding behind anything, a quick google of my user name will give you access to my Twitter and my FB! Both use the same tag and pretty much everyone bar my mother refers to my by the name, without the numbers.

@Comedy Goldsmith, You have clearly & unequivocally stated that you believe BASI are pushing a helmet agenda, without providing a single shred of evidence, i put a post up on page 2 of this thread that shows multiple BASI trainers in various scenarios taken in the past 12 months all with no helmet on including one in a race course!!! There are more links below to the BASI website that refute your silly childish nonsense. You behavior was highlighted on a FB ski page and you were out voted, the Skiclub UK have had enough of you and taken action. Eventually you might realize the problem is not everyone else!

I am sure you follow Ross Green on twitter, he posted a pic of the BASI demo team this am all again sporting no helmets.

Now you either properly evidence the accusations you make so you can stand by them or you withdraw them. But just as a very interesting point, the BASI website which would be their primary public portal and front office space, have a look at the links below? No helmets in the header photo, or in the group shot or on the alpine/telemark pages! If they are pushing an agenda they are not doing it very well or sending mixed messages.

http://www.basi.org.uk/content/alpine-ski.aspx

http://www.basi.org.uk/index.aspx
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"there is no helmet agenda": stevomcd

Whether there is some sort of helmet agenda at BASI (e.g. peer or trainer influence), whether it is a more subtle affair, or whether there is no helmet agenda at all ... is a matter of interpretation of what's been raised in this thread so far, and the photos. We can only rely upon published evidence and - of course - the experiences of those who've trained with BASI, or seen their demos, or been trainers themselves etc. One point of interest would be whether helmets are the norm at Interski

Additional historical and current quotes, referenced to sources ...

2009 ... BBC News report by James Cove ... "Should ski helmets be compulsory?" ... following the death of Natasha Richardson
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7953165.stm

Quote:
Natasha Richardson's accident and death have been widely reported on skiing and snowboarding websites. Their chat rooms are full of the debate, though most skiers and snowboarders do not want to be made to wear a helmet - most people do not feel it will be made compulsory.

This is a view supported by the British Association of Snowsports Instructors, BASI.

"Despite the debate going on it's highly unlikely that it will be made compulsory for everyone to wear a helmet as serious head injuries are relatively rare and the medical evidence is not conclusive," says Julian Griffiths, a spokesman for BASI.

2011 ... Telegraph report by Adam Lusher ... "No ski helmet? No ski insurance"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/insurance/8350224/No-ski-helmet-No-ski-insurance.html

Quote:
Gareth Roberts, the chairman of the British Association of Snowsport Instructors, said he personally approved Essential Travel's move – but would not force his 6,500 members to wear helmets.

"Personally, I think it is high time the insurance companies said this*. But our members are professionals with common sense of their own, and we are not a dictatorship."

[* "this" refers to the ski insurer Essential Travel demanding that all policy-holders wear ski helmets ]

2014 ... Supreme Ski School, Courchevel ... customer testimonial, customer advice
http://www.courchnet.com/ski/schools/supreme-ski-and-snowboard-school-courchevel

Quote:
Thanks to Gareth Roberts for the lessons - really enjoyable. Customer feedback

Quote:
What to Bring
Helmets are mandatory for those aged 17 and under and are highly recommended for all other skiers partaking in any of our lessons.

2014 ... BASI courses at Braehead snowdome, near Glasgow, Dec 2014, Jan 2015 ... official slope policy (obviously not dictacted by BASI, but BASI contracts and relays this policy)
http://www.basi.org.uk/content/braehead.aspx

Quote:
Effective from 01 May 2013, it is now COMPULSORY to wear a helmet when skiing at Braehead, any BASI student(s) who requires a helmet, can borrow one (FOC) from the equipment hire desk.

2014 ... New Generation Ski School ... official BASI training centre: Courchevel, Verbier etc. ... "Ski Clothing"

Quote:
Helmets are not compulsory but are strongly recommended.

FINALLY ... 2014 ... Sir Steve Redgrave, president, BASI ... BASI-qualified instructor ... interviewed by Susie Mesure for The Independent ...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/sir-steve-redgrave-is-it-all-downhill-from-here--as-olympian-dons-skis-for-the-jump-9085513.html

Quote:
Sir Steve sets great store in the protective power of the helmet, which he has made his entire family (he has three children) wear for the past seven years. His big goal as BASI president is to make it compulsory for all British instructors teaching abroad to wear a helmet. “It’s not about them; it’s about the image they’re putting across. There is resistance from some of the older BASI members, but it’s happening. It’s on the agenda at annual meetings.”

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 13-11-14 14:30; edited 6 times in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fattes13 wrote:

@Comedy Goldsmith, You have clearly & unequivocally stated that you believe BASI are pushing a helmet agenda, without providing a single shred of evidence ...
Now you either properly evidence the accusations you make so you can stand by them or you withdraw them.

Please see evidence in posting above.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
EDITED: You know what, I'm not going to bother. Too silly to waste any more of my time on.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Maybe have a chat with Sir Steve and the BASI Interski demo team?

This is the home page of Interski 2015 [not the BASI team]

http://www.interski-2015.org/en/

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 13-11-14 15:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Comedy Goldsmith, at no point does any of your evidence show an official BASI doctoring of compulsory helmet use or collusion with helmet producers, the wearing of helmets for U17 is required by law in some nations or regions ( nothing to do with BASI) the requirement of domes for people to wear helmets (nothing to do with BASI), individual ski schools requirements nothing to do with BASI.

I note with interest you have ignored the evidence provided of the BASI web site were only Race coaching & Adaptive sections feature helmets ?? You have yet to provide a single solid irrefutable shred of evidence that illustrates BASI have a pro helmet stance or are liaising with helmet producers??

Next you will be telling me BASI trainers are hiding on a grassy knoll taking people out to promote helmet use
snow conditions
@Fattes13, @stevomcd, pointless arguing with somebody who thinks that you can discover real life through atypical images and media puff pieces while sitting in their pyjamas and furiously Googling. What's the worst kind of conspiracy theorist? Someone who actually believes their own nonsense.
latest report
Fattes13 wrote:
Next you will be telling me BASI trainers are hiding on a grassy knoll taking people out to promote helmet use

Your president Sir Steve - not on a grassy knoll, on a snowy mountain - says he wants to make it compulsory for all British instructors teaching abroad to wear a helmet [according to that interview with The Independent above]. He says ...

"It’s not about them; it’s about the image they’re putting across. There is resistance from some of the older BASI members, but it’s happening."

Your chairman Gareth said he supports insurance companies telling policy-holders that helmets are compulsory [according to that interview with The Telegraph above]. He says ...

"Personally, I think it is high time the insurance companies said this."
latest report
@rob@rar, just talk to your president and chairman. Unlike me (I'm in a pair of chinos, actually) they actually have some authority over your destiny.

And they clearly have a slightly authoritarian attitude to helmets!
snow report
@Comedy Goldsmith, you might well be in chinos but you're coming across like one of the pyjama people, which is curious as I know you're not dumb. Just can't understand why you're behaving like it.

I've skied with Gareth a lot. He never wears a helmet. Steve wears one from what I remember, although at the time I was bucketing him in a sit-ski and to be honest I'm surprised he didn't wear body armour and an airbag as well. However, as an honorary officer he has no day to day impact on BASI policies.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:

I've skied with Gareth a lot. He never wears a helmet.

But he believes insurance punters should have helmets imposed on them?
I'm getting confused now.
latest report
@Comedy Goldsmith, maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet...?
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
@Comedy Goldsmith, maybe you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet...?

You mean it's not all factual???

oh bug, better stop with those painful stretching techniques i am following. Toofy Grin

Anyway enough airtime on this one i think. Can we have a proper helmet thread?
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Perhaps the answer to lost skis in deep snow is to strap a Goldsmith to each one? The hot air would soon melt the snow

I personally have always thought that DG and Gazex were interchangeable
ski holidays
@Comedy Goldsmith, "Your" The have respective roles within BASI they are neither mine or anyone else's, were the interviews given in a personal capacity or where they expressing an explicit BASI policy!!

Secondly still waiting on you to address the lack of visible head protection on the BASI official website!

Sadly it appears as a once passionate and articulate journalist you have, lost the plot completely and become so out of touch with the modern ski world as to have made oneself irrelevant and nothing more than the ski equivalent of the tin foil hat brigade!
snow conditions

BASI INTERSKI DEMO TEAM 2015

This is the team (plus support) which will go to Ushuaia, Argentina, in September 2015:
the most elite-performing ski instructors in the UK.

There are 14 skiers in the photo, 12 of whom appear to be wearing helmets.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/BASI.BritishAssociationofSnowsportInstructors/photos/a.751440734886339.1073741828.171660376197714/751440778219668/?type=3&theater

According to this report from Snow magazine ...

http://snowmagazine.com/news/basi-interski-dream-team-selected

... ten of the skiers in that photo will actually form the demonstration squad.
ski holidays
Sadly, I think CG has a tendency to often go into Don Quixote mode - this BASI helmet thread is just another windmill being tilted at....
snow report
P.S. I concluded some time ago that all the personal crap above was the usual snowHeads reflection of 'lost argument, so resort to abuse/don't believe him/don't believe the internet' etc.

Maybe if BASI was generally based on evidence, transparency, fairness, accountability, science - and so - it wouldn't be in the chaotic state it's in right now. The helmets issue is actually - as seems to be common ground - a matter for the individual. It's for the individual to choose, completely free of peer-pressure/sponsor pressure/Interski pressure or any other pressure.

It's for Gareth Roberts to say whether he was misquoted by The Independent in 2011 (which rob@rar seems to imply, with no evidence - did GR contact the Independent to correct the report?) ... or whether he genuinely believed what they reported at the time - that he took the view that insurers should impose helmet use on skiers.

At the end of the day, it's about ski instructors setting an example to their pupils - one of which might be 'Simply use the brain inside your skull to make your own choice - I'm not going to lead you to wear a helmet or not to wear a helmet. It's entirely your decision, and either choice is fine."

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 13-11-14 17:26; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@Comedy Goldsmith, this is getting tedious, so I'll make one last post. I didn't imply anything, I smimply observed that I've never seen Gareth wearing a helmet and I've skied with him a fair amount. In the last couple of years I've skied with or been around more than half the demo team. None of them wear a helmet on a full-time basis. They pick and choose when to wear them. It's up to BASI candidates to make of that what t hey will. Unlike you, I actually have first hand knowledge of modern day BASI, warts and all. So I offer this advice in the best possible spirit: give up this particular point as you are making yourself look foolish.

As for the personal crap, you reap what you sow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You said, precisely ...

rob@rar wrote:

Thus casting aspersions on the journalist who interviewed Gareth Roberts (Adam Lusher) ... because you've implied that he maybe made up the quote.

Did you ski with Gareth Roberts in 2011? Was he wearing a helmet then?
Has he changed his view about helmets since 2011?
Does he believe he shouldn't wear a helmet, but that others with insurance policies should wear helmets?

Is he aware that the BASI official insurance policy does not require use of a helmet (as distinct from the one that he was apparently endorsing in 2011 - Essential Travel)?

You need to have a conversation.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
You said, precisely ...

rob@rar wrote:

Thus casting aspersions on the journalist who interviewed Gareth Roberts (Adam Lusher) ... because you've implied that he maybe made up the quote.

You're doing a pretty job of demonstrating just how journalists like to interpret things and emphasise parts of quotes to to support what they want their story to be, rather than objectively look at the whole picture. Sadly because of that - and there's plenty of evidence of it in all forms of media - you'd have to be an idiot to take what pretty much any journalist says without a large chunk of salt.
snow report
clarky999 wrote:

You're doing a pretty job of demonstrating just how journalists like to interpret things and emphasise parts of quotes to to support what they want their story to be, rather than objectively look at the whole picture. Sadly because of that - and there's plenty of evidence of it in all forms of media - you'd have to be an idiot to take what pretty much any journalist says without a large chunk of salt.

Well, if that truly is your view of evidence-based journalism ... then I'd invite you to go back to the opening post of this thread, i.e. this photo of BASI trainers in 2009 ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152836425340761&set=gm.1513614292258671&type=1&theater

... and this photo of the BASI trainers in the Interski demo team in 2014 (for 2015) ...

https://www.facebook.com/BASI.BritishAssociationofSnowsportInstructors/photos/a.751440734886339.1073741828.171660376197714/751440778219668/?type=3&theater

and work out the answer to the question originally posed ...

"What made Britain's most elite ski instructors convert to helmets?"

I agree that it doesn't necessarily take journalistic genius to work out, firstly, if the premise of the question is correct.
latest report
Happy birthday, by the way!
snow report
@Comedy Goldsmith, Still not addressing the question about the main BASI webpage photos, 70+ Skiers and only 3 helmets in view!!!!! But instead you keep insisting on one or two photos! Sad really that you are not willing to answer questions or further research the topic before going off on a weird tangent
latest report
@Comedy Goldsmith, thanks!

But I have too much tequila to drink to get into another argument with you wink
latest report
Fattes13 wrote:
... 70+ Skiers and only 3 helmets in view!!!!!

Can't find the photo you're referring to. Please link to it.
Remember that this thread is exclusively about BASI trainers, since they are the most elite and influential.

Fattes13 wrote:
... 70+ Skiers and only 3 helmets in view!!!!!

5 exclamation marks, though. Always a bad sign.
snow report
@Comedy Goldsmith,Now you are just being childish rather than actually acting like an adult! BASI home page on their website link below incase you are finding it difficult

Big group photo of Basi trainers under the words courses across the globe

Header photo on page with Basi trainers no helmet

Each of the photos for category on right of the page No helmets, except for Adaptive and Race (Featuring a racer in a GS course)

http://www.basi.org.uk/index.aspx

Now does sir prefer his humble pie, with cream or custard?
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
Remember that this thread is exclusively about BASI trainers, since they are the most elite and influential.
From the Trainers Conference today

@Comedy Goldsmith, if you had any idea about BASI you would know that very few Trainers wear helmets, especially when compared to the number of candidates who do wear helmets. But as you don't know what you're talking about you simply trawl the net looking for "evidence" which supports your opinion. When you're in a hole, stop digging.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, Maybe its an eyesight thing I mean he cant seem to see or find the BASI website, but then again that would illustrate the exact opposite of the point he is trying to make!!

Probably best to let him keep digging maybe he will end up somewhere else! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Wasn't it quieter when he "took a break"
snow conditions
@ansta1, yes.

I think the more pressing question is this: headbands, now that BASI Trainers are rocking them, will the rest of the skiing world follow...?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy