Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon or Head

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
I'm an intermediate to advanced skier looking to buy my first set of brand spanking new downhill ski boots. Up to now I've only ever rented or bought used boots. I'm not an agressive skier by any means. I don't do carving but I'm looking for boots that will give me a bit more stability when I do feel like going faster, but also something that I could take off-piste for a bit of fun.
I've had a look in my area and I've narrowed my choice down to two boots... and I'd appreciate any advice choosing between the two.
Salomon pro X 80 - These skis are pretty unassuming and seem simple. No gimmicks or fancy adjustments. Just good boots
Head Adapt Edge 90 - I've read good reviews about these boots. They have a few more bells and whistles than the Salomon boots, but I'm not sure all of that is really too important.

Both boots have an identical price tag from two different stores.

Any suggestions?

Thx
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Forget about brands, colours, gimmicks etc etc, go to a boot fitter and get the boots the are right for your feet and ability.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to a good boot fitter and let them decide what boots best fit your feet.

X80 has a 100mm last
Head adapt 90 has an adjustable last from 104-102mm

This means one will fit very differently than the other.

So many variables to consider with boot fitting:) and thankfully the internet is really redundant when it comes to good boot fitting..

Where are you based in the UK?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@idclifford, oh and welcome to Snowheads:) How very rude of me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@idclifford,

If you post your location so members can recommend shops local to you with good bootfitters.

Do not bother about colour, features, make etc as others have said let a good boot fitter get you in the boots that fit your feet the best and your skiing ability.

And welcome to Snowheads snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@idclifford, Hello Smile Bootfitter will do the sums for you if they're any good (Snowheads are great with recommending those who know their stuff), will fit the correct boot and it will have nothing to do with colour or style, echoing the above ^^^
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the feedback. I'm located in Northern Switzerland. These boots are from separate stores and recommended by two separate bootfitters. I tried both on and they both feel pretty good. I essentially just need to choose the boot I prefer... And I'll be honest, I'm having a tough time choosing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buy both?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One of each.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
How long did you try them on for?

What sort of questions were you asked by the shop/ boot fitter?

Did you/ they do a shell check without the liner ?

Did the shop/boot fitter do any biometric assessment of your feet/ stance.

Were there any pressure points,loss of circulation,could you wiggle your toes,could you lift your heel at all.....

A good boot fitter will ask the right questions,to get feedback on the fit,the whole process done properly can take 3 to 4 hours.

Based on this feedback a decision on whether to continue to fit the chosen boot should be taken at which point some foot beds maybe recommended and the liner of the boot will be heated and moulded to the shape of your foot / ankle/ calf.

Then the boot will have to be used to let the custom fit bed in as the liner will pack out by up to 1/2 size over time. Further visits to relieve pressure/pinch points and/or make adjustments maybe necessary before going on your ski holiday. This is usually part of the service if you pay for the boot fitting on top of the cost of the boot.

If you just go to decathlon( for example) and buy off the shelf you will not get this.You may be lucky but you will not get the custom precision fit and power transfer from boot to ski that a good boot fitter will give you.

Based on the boots you are considering you may be an early intermediate skier and not feel the need to go to such lengths? Compared to rentals anything should be an improvement thoughD Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why not ask around locally to see if anyone knows the bootfitters and has a recommendation and, if not, buy from the shop you felt provided, so far, the best match to the service that @hedley, describes above?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How did the fitting go? Not as comprehensively as Hedley suggests. We discussed the type of skiing I do, my experience and the type of boot I'm looking for. They measured up my feet and checked if I have a weird stance (bow legged, etc.). We checked my feet in one of the boot liners, the position of the toes, heel etc. Altogether I tried on at least 8 different boots in the price and skill range I'm looking at. I'm particularly sensitive to pressure points and boot shape so it wasn't too difficult to narrow down the choice of boot. The whole process took over an hour at each place. We're essentially at the point where they want to heat up the liners and start fitting the boot properly to my feet... but I wanted to double check my choice of boot before I go ahead with the final fit.
I had another look at some reviews and I think I'll go with the Adapt Edge boots. They're a slightly higher spec boot which will give me room for improvement as my skiing improves. And thanks to all the great feedback from your posts, I'll know what questions to ask.
Again, thanks for all the great feedback.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@idclifford, i'd suggest that they are a bit on the soft side. I don't think anyone really wants to be in a boot with less than 100-ish flex.

What do you weigh?

Also, did they measure your feet in the shells without liners? That's more fundamental than how the liners fit out of the shells.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have the Head Adapt Edge 90's from a couple of seasons ago. They were the widest in the shop and I still had to have them blown out a good few times on each boot. I have short hobbit like feet Embarassed Saying that I did go for a boot fitting at Finches in SE London. Was there a good couple of hours and tried on several.

I must say I love them and they drastically improved my skiing, my other half couldn't believe the change thought I had had secret lessons. Was also the first time in my adult life that I actually skied pain free in the foot department as it didn't feel like they were clamped in a vice. (I physically gave up on the mountain one day the season before I was in so much pain from a pair of rentals and I play rugby so can handle a fair portion of agony). I can't recommend the boots enough for me but everyone is different. Finches guided me in that direction. If your boot fitter says they are the ones for you then I would go for that but the 2 boots you mention seem to be very different in the width department so surely one must be too wide or the other too narrow. They can't both seem to fit right.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
To be honest lots of good advice in this thread and I would seriously consider going to a shop that has BOTH these boots in stock so you can ensure there is no bias.

However as a rule of thumb you should buy the tightest boots that are comfortable. There is no point crippling yourself, but if the salomons at a smaller last size were comfortable and you were not getting tingling toes or felt any points that were pinching causing discomfort etc then I would suggest that they are the bette rof the 2.

Boots tend to pack out and I have a feeling that if the salomons fit and were comfortable they will be fine, but the Head will be bordering on loose already and when they pack out you will find yourself slopping around in them by the end of a season.

None of this compares to finding a really good boot fitter that you trust, if you are not sure ask around any friends who are ardent skiers for recomendations.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy