Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
https://oxygene-ski.com/en/rip-adrien-sergent/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That is such sad news, just three weeks ago Adrien was my instructor taking me down black runs, to the snow park and encouraging me to think less and enjoy more. Thoughts with all his family and friends.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wolski wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
3 instructors caught in an avalanche today in the Canadians Couloir - sadly one has died of his injuries:
http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2015/02/07/la-plagne-trois-moniteurs-emportes-par-une-avalanche

Awful news.
absolutely terrible news. Any news on who the other two instructors were and if they are ok?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Sack the Juggler, if you read genepi's link you will get the answer to your question:
Quote:
As soon as he was found, which took around 15 minutes, his two friends gave first aid until a doctor was airlifted to the scene
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just left a very snowy Belle Plagne. Had a week of wall to wall sunshine which was great but by the end of the week everything below 2500m was getting very thin and icy. The area had about 10cm overnight and there's lots more due next week apparently so if the cloud lifts, anyone out there this week's going to have a great time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The conditions were excellent today, ankle deep powder on most of the pistes this morning in Champagny. Ventured over towards La Plagne around lunchtime and even the pistes over there still had plenty of powder.
It looks like it should be a good week with up to 30cms of snow forecast for late Monday and Tuesday and some more forecast for Friday.
It didn't seem that busy today even though it is peak period, no queues in Plagne Bellecote when we passed through there this afternoon.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just like jam, had a brilliant sunshine week in La Plagne over half term. Considering the Parisians and the Belgians were also on holiday, I found the crowds not as bad as I anticipated - only the usual jam at Bellecote which can be avoided with some careful planning, or at least minimised by going through there at the start of the day or lunchtime. For a week of no new snow apart from a few flakes on the first Saturday, 14th Feb, I thought the pistes held up very well - there was the odd bits not covered by snow and some icy parts. That said, by mid week some of the Champagny pistes were closed due to the sun melting the south facing slopes.
2nd time to La Plagne, 1st time in Plagne Soleil which all 9 of us liked. My only gripe of LP is that they don't enforce that lifts are fully occupied when there are long queues. What is the point of upgrading Colossus to an 8 seater chairlift when my admittedly very limited observation, showed that none of the chairs that I was on or the 2 in front of me, were fully utilised, during the times I was on it.
My wife had lessons with Oxygene and they are still coming to terms with the sad loss of Adrien. I believe they are going to erect some sort of memorial.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Off on Saturday morning. Looking forward to this trip, about 14 of us. Whats the score on the trip over to Les Arcs for a day? Upgrade the lift pass via Rep?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wolski, Do some research first, there is a La Plagne pass which includes one day in Les Arcs or there is a one day add on price. Depending on the exchange rate the Rep may be more expensive, rarely cheaper!

Start here http://www.skipass-laplagne.com/en/
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We booked an all in deal last year......which i think was £721....Flights.....Trans......Accom.....150 Euro bar spend per person.....Area Lift Pass.....will have a google around.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lovely fresh snow yesterday, last night and today. Of course that means half the resort was shut today and visibility was often shocking. Jolly windy too up on top. Great day.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I must confess to slight bemusement. La Plagne is lovely skiing, but they haven't got anything like enough lifts. We made sure to keep out of Plagne Centre as much as possible where I saw some of the biggest lift queues I've seen in my life. What it must be like at New Year I cannot imagine.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@James the Last, lift queues are Good. They keep the piste clear of Muppets.
La Plagne does have some impressive queues at times.
There are usually ways round them: especially avoiding ski school start times, and keep skiing through the wonderful quiet 2 hours of 1200 to 1400.
Knowing about the runs where no one else goes also helps.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last wrote:
I must confess to slight bemusement. La Plagne is lovely skiing, but they haven't got anything like enough lifts. We made sure to keep out of Plagne Centre as much as possible where I saw some of the biggest lift queues I've seen in my life. What it must be like at New Year I cannot imagine.

Went in the last week of March last year (and there again this year) and the longest I ever had to queue was probably 5-10 minutes for the gondola up from Bellecote, and that was only once. Other than that we could virtually ski up to the gates of pretty much every lift we went to. I was absolutely amazed looking at the webcams last week to see that the queues in Bellecote were huge.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonpim wrote:
@James the Last, lift queues are Good. They keep the piste clear of Muppets.

Don't they keep the piste clear of Everybody?

Quote:
La Plagne does have some impressive queues at times.
There are usually ways round them: especially avoiding ski school start times, and keep skiing through the wonderful quiet 2 hours of 1200 to 1400.
Knowing about the runs where no one else goes also helps.

Best way around; don't go to La Plagne. Certainly my strategy for the future.
snow conditions
Well, queues certainly not been a problem this last week.
(and whenever i recommend La Plagne, all my skiing mates berate me, saying i should send people elsewhere instead . . . rolling eyes )

Anyway, after a wonderful week of sun and mostly clear blues skies, it clouded over today, and we waited dolefully for the predicted rain
Here at 1800, no rain. It started as sleet, but now we have lovely thick heavy snow piling down.
Wet stuff down here, but i'm sure it will be less soggy further up.
If the light is ok, tomorrow could be an exciting day Very Happy
latest report
Went over to la Plagne today. Left about 9.30am, snow was boiler plate. Lost a few fillings head down to Peisey. Spent the morning skiing of Roche and Grand Rochette bubbles. Snow was fine, a little soft and spring like but not too bad. Not to busy in La Plagne either. We were goign to go down to La Roche for lunch but decided against, heading back down Pierre Blanches for lunch at le Sauget (just off the top of the montchavin lift). Snow by lunchtime was very soft and hard work, very tiring on the legs.

After lunch we came back to Les Arcs and finsihed up at 3pm. Our app has shown we had skied 27 miles in 4 1/2 hours of skiing. That was enough for today. Hoping for some fresh tomorrow so we can go boarding.

views from Belle Plagne

Lastly looking back at les Arcs from the Vanoise. Snow line high but still plenty of it.
latest report
Nice photos again. snowHead The next couple of days don't look likely to be conducive to pretty pictures.
snow conditions
The forecast for this weekend is pretty promising, amounts have been up and down but all seems to point at some snow at least.

Might my cheeky trip to visit a mate for a few nights from saturday involve a good bit of skiing (as I told the other half) instead of piste cruising and beer drinking (as I was expecting) !?!? Shocked
ski holidays
What difference 6 weeks can make!

latest report
I'm out in Plagne Bellecote for the next week and today has been a good start. Woke to heavy rain in Albertville which left a good 5cm on the car park up the hill.

Light to moderate snow fell all day, so all the higher pistes were in great condition, pity it was so hard to see them properly at times. Looking clearer and dry for the next few days. Cold too, which should give a few great days out before it warms up.

Still snowing very lightly now.
ski holidays
alr1970, i reckon you are in for a great time. I left there today (posting from Gare du Nord) with snow glazed trees down to below Les Coches (1250m).
Webcams show rather gloomy day today, but could be lovely tomorrow
Enjoy. snowHead
ski holidays
It was very cloudy today, especially high up. Complete whiteout at times. We went over to Les Arcs today with kids in tow, where the snow was super, which made the lack of visibility much easier to cope with. Very forgiving fresh over ice. Only had one real lift queue all day, which was nice. Now stuffing Easter chocs into tired mouths.
ski holidays
@Jonpim, It was lovely today, some more unexpected fresh snow last night, sun and blue skies this morning but clouding over in the afternoon.

Hope you had a good journey home and maybe see you in May when we are down for the wine show.
ski holidays
More slushy on the lower slopes yesterday. Still excellent snow higher up. Sunny and warmer today so I expect some bare patches to start appearing lower down.
ski holidays
We've had another great day here. Warmer each day but still good if you don't go too low. One big puddle by the ski school in Bellecote by 5 but no worse.

Going high in the morning is proving invaluable, we went up to Bellecote, glacier then down the unlisted black Derochoir which had some fierce but soft bumps on. Back for lunch then over towards Champagny.

Up Verdons Sud. lift from where we saw a nasty looking avalanche rescue in progress. Probes evident and the rescue dog was out too. Posted with a view were then closed. Nothing on the news yet so hopefully everyone got out ok.

There have been a lot of choppers out today, avi risk back up at 3 and off piste was very hard and crusty this morning.
latest report
Phew! What a scorched! Everywhere smells of hot rubber mats. Went up to Bellecote glacier this afternoon, it was starting to be slushy even up there.

2 days left and it looks like the super sunny weather is going to change soon.
snow report
alr1970, glad you're having a super time.
Despite slush on the glacier, it still looks good out there: Roche de Mio 2700m, Grande Rochette 2505m, top of Bergerie lift 2150m(?).
And you can still ski right down to Montalbert 1350m.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Homeward bound now. Last day was lovely and quiet, we had the slush almost to ourselves.

It clouded up quite a lot middle of the day which helped arrest the melting, we even had a couple of light snow showers. Got in a good long run after the flat-cleaning session, over to Crozats, up to Roche de Mio, down towards Champagny, up Verdons, back through Plagne Centre, loosing kids on the way: they're getting too quick for me on the steep stuff, then back to Bellecote via the Funiplagne.

Phew, legs a bit stiff after 8 days, a great time with excellent conditions overall.
snow report
Just got back yesterday from la Plagne. Great weeks skiing and loved the ski area - first time there and for myself and family it was a great choice for what we like from a ski holiday. First day was terrible visibility but then we had five beautiful days - if anything maybe a bit too hot at times. Managed to get over to Les Arcs and up to the Glacier over there - some lovely runs over there.
latest report
Still plenty to go at but melting fast - some heavy wet snow from 1-2pm. . .skied from Thursday 9th till yesterday (Monday 13th). Brilliant sunshine (got burnt on day 1) making conditions variable - there seems to be a 'window' on the lower areas (Les Coches / Champagny) between 10 - 11.30am where the snow has lost its overnight hard-freeze surface but has not softened to slush - this can be elongated if the runs aren't busy . . .the back of Les Verdons (Kamikazee etc) was a must in the morning when it was almost devoid of skiers . . .on Sunday the fast blues and skier-cross course on the Rossa lift side were in top notch condition till almost 2pm due to lack of bodies . . .excellent fun. Glacier runs in good condition - moguls were groomed over the weekend and the snow conditions are firmer for longer . . .not a lot to go at up here though and arguably not worth the effort. . . .

My advice if you're going this week - catch the first lifts, ski till 2pm non-stop then admit defeat and head for a late lunch / the bar . . .
snow conditions
I think conditions everywhere on the La Plagne side are still really good. I have managed to get everywhere. The highest and lowest points in the whole area. Right now all stations are still open, although you do have to take care on the lower slopes. I skied until 5pm most days and by using the sun to best effect have found good snow even at 4pm.

The bellecote glacier bowl is best later in the day when it has softened up, but before it becomes to soft. This time of year is all about reading the conditions. There is no need to give up at 2pm, just move to where the snow is still firm and fun to ski. Very Happy
snow report
I never realised watching a hole being dug on a web cam could be so engrossing. They are going big on diggers today.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Yep! Keep an eye on RG's site as well some good insight on there now and again about the hole etc. It's a new summer pass time for skiers Very Happy
http://laplagne.livecam360.net/montalbert
snow report
@boredsurfin, actually busy these days so haven't even looked at RG's site all season, anyway to busy cam watching, a great way to pass then time during conference calls. Boy they are digging today, sure they haven't got mixed up and are building a tunnel to Aime 2000?
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/yShvgXZQBTs
latest report
Still not convinced they haven't got plans for a funicular and gondola mixed up. Thats one mighty big hole..... Shocked
snow report
@thefatcontroller, Yep and getting even bigger!
Pictures here from the works at the top https://www.facebook.com/pages/Location-de-Skis-La-Plagne-Montalbert-Les-Etoiles-du-Sport/189864427713689
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
@thefatcontroller, Yep and getting even bigger!
Pictures here from the works at the top https://www.facebook.com/pages/Location-de-Skis-La-Plagne-Montalbert-Les-Etoiles-du-Sport/189864427713689

I assume when you get to the top you won't be able to get straight to Plagne centre, it is down to La Roche still?
snow conditions
Best site to follow (in addition to the webcam noted above) is http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm

They post regular updates (in French but google translate does a reasonable job for no speakers) and plenty of pictures.

They're spending a small fortune so they might as well shout about it as much as possible I guess!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy