Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 2014/2015

Poster: A snowHead
fatcontroller, Thanks, am on iPad at the mo, will give it a go on PC with proper keyboard later ........
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@boredsurfin, fat fingers and iPads wink Toofy Grin

Anyway lovely photos, great to see a good overnight dump
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, Indeed, also good to see La Plagne and partners getting to grips with Twitter this year.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boredsurfin wrote:
thefatcontroller, Indeed, also good to see La Plagne and partners getting to grips with Twitter this year.

Yes maybe one day they will figure out their website Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@thefatcontroller, why can't Admin just make it like other forums I go on where you can just upload the picture to the page without doing all this other stuff. It takes seconds to put it on my facebook page then ages to add it here? Often I just do not have time for all that messing around. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sadly the forecast from Wednesday onwards is predicting warm conditions so much of this dump will probably melt away.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@snowcrazy, but then sH would be full of cr@p like facebook wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Apologies for being slightly off-topic, but does anyone know what's likely to be open in La Plagne between 13th and 20th Dec (i.e. when they're expecting to be partially open)? Is it just the glacier and a run back down or is more usually opened up? Some friends and I are out for a few days that week, and trying to work out where to head for...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ChrisWo, Usually most of the main pistes above La Plagne centre are open, the major intersections have snowmaking. However it is in the lap of the gods, some years Montalbert could be open some years the cover is minimal.
Not helpful I know, but the weather is the weather.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been to La Plagne in that week two or three times, skiing from Sunday to Sunday. A lot of the resort was open, but not the link to Les Arcs. The Vanoise Express opened on the Saturday before Christmas (with free vin chaud each end and a band!). They also didn't fully open the resort until that Saturday, so although most of the runs to Plagne Centre and above were open, the runs which take you lower down, to Montalbert, Champagny, Les Coches etc were not.

One of these holidays was in a year when about a metre of snow had fallen just before we got there! We did try to ski to Montalbert on the last day but it was very rocky.

The resort was reasonably busy but there was enough open to make it a decent week. I think hardly any of the black runs were open (ie Biolley sector), maybe just a couple up high.

You could get right up to the glacier though.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers both - that's kind of what I was expecting. Sounds like La Plagne is a definite option.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry @boredsurfin, only just noticed your earlier post.

We've got some November snow pics here: http://www.ice-fire.co.uk/blog/?p=1179

Weather at the moment has warmed up a bit and some of the lower snow has melted. Still loads higher up and it looks like the base is here to stay for the season now - more forcast for the end of November on the French news.

Looks set to be a good start to the season!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Snow and Sunshine, From what I heard tonight it is not that good even on the Roche de Mio now. Although still planty of time for more snow. The Freezing level seems to be about 2500m I was told and he should know as he works on the lifts getting them ready. Fingers crossed for more snow soon. But I do agree, above 2500m the snow is staying now so there should be a base to build on. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm doing a fly/drive and hope to arrive in Plagne centre by about 9pm tonight, (getting apartment ready) I will have a mooch about and report back - that said the webcams show snow is badly needed in most places - for sure the Foehn needs to P*** off!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This posted by La Plagne on their facebook page this morning
Quote:
ABOUT THE SNOW FORECAST
Many of you have been asking us about the snow conditions these days.
The temperatures should be colder from Monday. This is the ideal condition to wait for some new snowfalls and the snowmakers to work.
Last year, the snow level was lower (1500m instead of 2000m) but the layer was quite thin.
Heavy snowfalls started in the beginning of december, just before the resort opening. Let’s wait for an identical scenario this year.
What about starting with a snow dance ?

Quote:
➽ YOUR QUESTIONS about the weather for a few days, many of you to ask us on the climatic conditions of the area.

If temperatures remained high this week (as in all of France), the cold was announced for the start of next week. This will be the ideal terrain for snowy precipitation, and in any case to activate the fan.

As a reminder, last year at the same time, snow was certainly lower than today ' hui (1500 m instead of 2000 m), but with a very thin layer.
Of heavy snowfall early December had perfectly prepared the ground for the opening of the slopes. It remains only to wait for a similar scenario this year.

And if we began by a dance of the snow, it tell you?
snow conditions
@boredsurfin, Webcams are a blessing and a curse aren't they? wink Smile
snow report
@thefatcontroller, i cannot bring myself to spend time uploading photos when it looks like it does now. Here is the link for those that want to look.

http://www.la-plagne.com/en/winter/news/webcams.html
snow report
Well, I'm back from green pastures of La Plagne - the good news is their is still plenty of time for change - the bad news is visible to all. As it stands they reckon they could open a few runs on the Roche d' Mio and on the old glacier. In Aime (the valley) on Friday night at about 10pm the temperature was 16 degrees and at 1970m 6 degrees. On Sunday afternoon it rained a bit and was still rather warm.
latest report
Another fine sunset:

http://laplagne.livecam360.net/rochedemio

Looks like there's a dusting of snow on the top - but not much.
ski holidays
But I DO NOT want fine sunsets, I want it to snow and snow and snow!! Very Happy More 'snow dancing; is needed I think! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Forecast is looking good for snow on Monday into Tuesday and Wednesday now...

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210
latest report
Still no snow here, but reckon opening day is the day it starts!!!
ski holidays
@snowcrazy, your snow dance is working!!

Dusting of fresh snow this morning and more slowly falling . . . . Happy
snow report
Just picked this up on Facebook - Ok, La Plagne will open on a daily basis as follows, but its not looking good, with almost no snow in any forecast and with 5000 people playing on 9 small Pistes I can't see it staying open for more than a few days!

Despite some difficult conditions, the skia area opening date is maintained for Saturday, December 13th, 2014.

The ski area would open partially, depending on the weather conditions, with a 25€/day rate (skipass delivered daily only).

This will make possible to connect the sites of Plagne Aime 2000, Plagne Centre, Plagne-Bellecôte and Belle-Plagne with 9 open pistes and 7 ski lifts.

Ski lifts: TSD Bergerie, TS Mélèzes, TS Boulevard, TS Bécoin, TS Golf, TC Belle-Plagne, TSD Colosses.

Pistes: Boulevard, Bridge, Ecartée, Trieuse Haut, Trieuse bas, Belle Plagne, le Golf, Pavane, Sardane.

For safety reasons, it is recommended to ski only on the open marked pistes.

With the lack of snow, the recent episodes of wind and warming of the temperatures, the glacier of Bellecôte should not be open under sufficient security conditions.

Our teams count on the return of the cold weather to work on a quality snowmaking. 115,000 cubic meters of snow could be produced the last weekend. And they currently continue as you can see on this live picture.

A forthcoming meeting is planned this Friday to refine these forecasts and to evaluate the possibility of additional openings.
snow report
Hi all.

I'm desperately looking for some cheap accommodation or a bed to crash in for a week from the 14th of February 2015 in Belle Plagne or as close as I can get.
Obviously I will pay for the bed if anyone has a spare place going or know where I can stay. Any help would be amazing!!!

Cheers

Joe
snow report
@JWTorr, Have a look on the www.la-plagne.com website in the accommodation section, currently showing 31 properties available in Belle Plagne for that week.
It is the official tourist office website, a 2 bed studio starts at 618 euros for the week.
ski holidays
"Cheap accomodation" and "w/c 14 February" are likely to be mutually exclusive conditions - but as commented above, the central booking agency is a good place to start. You may have more luck if you extend the search to include 1800, Centre, Soleil, Villages and Bellecote - depends on how close you desire to be but they're all within easy reach during the day. Not sure how good the connections are by bus/navette though - probably excellent but I've not had the need to use them.
latest report
Y@JWTorr, you won't get much more cheap and cheerful than here http://chaletarc.co.uk/

Riders hostel in Nancroix. Pretty basic and you'll be in a room with people you haven't met before. I had a weekend there last year and it's good value, only a minutes walk from the skibus stop.

Not really family onrientated so less likely to be full during half term.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@philipb, @JWTorr, second this. Good place to stay if on a buget. But it does connect with the Peisey lifts and you need to get the vanoise express over to the la Plagne. side.
snow conditions
The Coqs chairlift to be reinstated in 2016? Details here http://www.leforumdeparadiski.fr/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3969&start=30
snow report
New webcam at Plagne Centre
http://www.laplagnet.com/webcams/piste-front
ski holidays
Not a pretty sight Sad
ski holidays
Very interesting interview with SAP following their publication of the 10 year plan for the resort
http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm#13_12_14
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, you're right: Very Interesting.
Quote:
2016: Le télesiège du Golf sera démonté et remplacé par le télésiège débrayable 4 places de Montalbert, pour (re)créer le télésiège des Coqs.

Excellent news.

(Still ploughing thro the rest of it, trying to translate myself rather than resort to Google)
latest report
Jonpim, it's a very good article. I don't think I haver ever read such a broad and honest evaluation of the resort. Certainly they have never revealed their future plans in detail before.
Good luck with the translating Very Happy
latest report
@boredsurfin, Used google translate in chrome and it was near perfect to read and it makes very impressive reading. Nice to a see a vision.
latest report
@thefatcontroller, yep, and it translates the lift memes as well, The roosters, The sheep fold, and Camel hump, makes me smile each time Very Happy
snow report
@boredsurfin, Either that or 10 years in lessons, still the translational seems to have improved 10 fold on where it was 2-3 years ago.
ski holidays
Well, i'm not so convinced by this "Vision".
The "(re)créer" of the Coqs lift has presumably been result of outcry from skiers, and those days last season when La Roche went down and stranded skiers.
You need Backup.
Two ways to get out.
There are at present 2 ways out of the Montchavin/Les Coches section: 2 lifts to get you up to Dos Rond and then 2 ways into the La Plagne bowl.
But the vision shows that come 2021 there will be only be one way up and one way over.

I'm still trying to get my head round what is happening up on the Glacier for 2016/2017.
I think it will all depend on the promised new pistes.
latest report
snowcrazy wrote:
@thefatcontroller, please explain, how do you do a screen grab off the webcams?

You can get the raw image from these links:

Montalbert

Roche de Mio

La Bergerie

Grande Rochette

Or a historic image:

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy