Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
I am after some advise please. I have, for the last few years booked skiing holidays in Switzerland (Saas Fee, Zermat) and Austria (Obergurgle), but this year my finances cannot stretch that far, so I am starting to entertain the possibility of having a few days in Scotland. I have visited the official website (where all the resorts are presented etc) but I am after some advice from people who have taken a skiing holiday in any of these resorts before. I know that most of the resorts struggle for adequate snow coverage or infrastructure, but generally, provided there is enough snow, would you recommend visiting? Many thanks in anticipation.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been to Scotland snowboarding quite a few times and on a good day the conditions can be great, the trouble is you really can't plan in advance you just have to go when the forecast looks ok. By the time you factor in 35 quidish a day lift pass, fuel and accom you can probably get a last minute deal to the alps cheaper. I've seen a week in a catered chalet for under 300 quid including flights so in my mind it's a no brainer.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@psyxologos, I would say that Scotland if you are close enough is worth a trip if you can book last minute when you have seen the weather forecast. We went for three days last season. There was huge amounts of snow but we only got one and a half good days, the rest of the time the cloud was low. The lifts did run all three days though, which can be rare (we were at Glencoe and Nevis) as wind can stop the lifts running. The areas are small, so you can better value than going to an indoor snowdome, but as @francium., says if you got a really cheap last minute deal in a chalet in the Alps, and with the Euro weakening then that might be the best option for a week.

We will go back to Scotland if the snow is there I expect, but we can drive up in around 4 hours
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scotland is a great place to ski, but its very very different to skiing in Europe.

Booking in advance IMHO is a no no, you just dont know if there will be snow or if there will be too much snow (It can take days to dig Cairngorm out if they get a really big dump). You can always get some kind of accommodation, so wait to see the forecast and book the day before.

What resort ?

Aviemore has the most "ski resort" feel about it, especially if there is snow in the town, it has a decent selection of lifts, a car makes getting around a lot easier. It also has the biggest selection of accommodation from bunk houses to 4/5 star hotels. The beginners area is at the top of the hill, more snow sure than others but also very exposed.

Lecht is smaller and also lower. Runs are good on the side of a valley and it has the most friendly beginners area at the foot of the hill. No accommodation within miles and even the closest village has limited options. We used the Lecht a lot when the kids were young because its less exposed and has a chairlift (people with small children will understand the issues of getting a 4 year old on an aggressive poma, especially when their feet dont touch the ground ).

Glencoe.
Hardcore sking for hardcore skiers. Allthough small, has some of the most challenging terrain. I like it, but wifey and kids dont. Remote location and very limited accommodation.

Nevis.
Good sized ski area all accessed via cable car. Lots of options to stay in Oban, can have fantastic conditions even if the East coast centres are bare.

Glenshee.
Probably the biggest usable ski area with excellent off piste options over the back. Good range of accommodation for a variety of pockets.

When conditions are good all of the centres will be jam packed with big queues for everything. After many years of skiing in Scotland we usually end up staying in Aviemore, then each morning I check the forecast and predicted openings and drive to the best ski centre for that day. It can mean a lot of driving, but you do end up with better skiing than if you stay at just 1 centre.

As others have said, Scotland might not be the cheapest option, we usually go through 4 or 5 tanks of fuel alone and in a big 4x4 that hurts. A last minute trip to Andorra or Bulgaria would probably be cheaper than a week in Scotland.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@psyxologos, you don't give a location but skiing in Scotland for a holiday (as opposed to a day or two or a long weekend) may not be cheaper than a package deal to somewhere at the cheaper end of Europe. I see you've previously used Switzerland and Austria - look at Andorra, some bits of Italy, dare I say it Bulgaria and you may be pleasantly surprised. If you can pick up a last minute offer to somewhere with more reliable snow and perhaps more important weather, you are more likely to have an enjoyable holiday. Even a French purpose-built resort might fit the budget for a late availability booking.

If you are within easy driving range of Scotia, I'd recommend it (especially for a late season spur of the moment trip for a weekend) - - - - IIIIIFFFFF and only if the conditions and the forecast are favourable.

PS - I'm a card-carrying expat Jock. Would love to give it a +1 - but honestly it's not the place for your only, pre-booked main holiday. Good luck.
@landlockedpirate has given one of the best summaries I've seen above. Read and take heed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I skiied Cairngorm for a couple of days this year and it was really good. But as has been said, it's unpredictable and exposed. We had most lifts open both days, but there had been no snow sports for the previous 3 days beforehand.
Aviemore is a good little town and the Old Bridge Inn is a really good boozer. Some of the other pubs have a bit of a dated feel though, but there's plenty of choice for food. There's an all you can eat Italian which tasted blooming good after a day on the slopes. We stayed in the bunk house when we went. Once you get chatting you find out a lot of people are up for the Ice Climbing rather than skiing / boarding.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, most of what @landlockedpirate says is right but I rarely stay in Aviemore as, despite the quality pubs and decent accommodation, the queues/Cairngorm experience is invariably the worst. I presume you meant Fort William not Oban for Nevis. It's not as nice a town but lots of accommodation options and a few decent pubs (eg the Grog & Gruel). You can always find decent cheap accommodation and I usually stay Fri night in Glasgow (finish work late, go straight to the pub when we get there) and Saturday in Fort William or around (unless skiing Glenshee). Prefer the West coast because it's steeper and more spectacular. Usually go 2-3 weekends a year. If you can fill a car with paying passengers, it's definitely the cheapest option but even if there are just 2 of us, the cost is OK. Often really excellent late season (April) and some ski areas only shut after the May Day BH. Also means you can see the fantastic scenery - starts 20 mins from Glasgow city centre if heading up the A82. Not much accommodation within 5mins Glencoe (beds at the ski centre or the Hotel) but tons of choice within 30mins, it's a prime spot in the summer. All the area's are not that far from 1 or 2 others (eg Nevis - Glencoe is a 45min drive, Nevis - Cairngorm 50mins)

Glenshee's season often starts and ends a bit earlier due to the topography. It has some great red runs and feels quite extensive. The road to it is prone to closure, as indeed is the Lecht Road and Cairngorm Access. Winterhighland is the best source of info about resort conditions and gives daily forecasts for all areas in the season. The public reports can be very useful too.

I always go at weekends and rarely find queues problematic but I often factor this into my plans (eg I don't visit Cairngorm before mid-April any more, will probably avoid Glenshee if snow has fallen in the big cities that week and get up early to Glencoe if the forecast is favourable)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@landlockedpirate, Provides a good summary minus staying in Oban for Nevis as it's ~50 mins away assume you meant Fort William. My In laws and assorted family are in Oban, and I live ~ 4 hours away so I tend to stick my gear in the car when travelling up there between December and April if the snow and weather is good I'll ski if not I wait until next time and rinse and repeat.

As others have said for a few days (more if you can hit the fun stuff) it can be as good as anywhere. I have another reason to be in the area so makes more sense. You need to be able to load the car and go and short notice as a rule. It's not really an alternative to the Alps more a way to get some extra skiing in if it's reasonably convenient distance from home.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, sorry got mixed up with Oban and Fort William Embarassed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not 'holidayed' at them so can't comment on travel from the south or accommodation. Lots of good info above. It can get very busy at the weekend, but it is much quieter during the week (unless you pick school holiday weeks). The risk of booking for a week is whether the weather plays ball. You might get lucky and get a great week, you might find the wind doesn't drop below hoolie category. A midweek break, last minute, if that is possible, would be ideal.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@landlockedpirate, They're easily confused. One is a beautiful town in a beautiful setting, the other is probably the ugliest town in the most beautiful setting..... ANYWHERE Toofy Grin

Sorry to anyone who live in Fort William snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bene, no worries there, they can't read wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@psyxologos, I've done scotland as a winter holiday a few times but have always taken my bike & walking boots as well as skis. 2/3 years ago I went to Aviemore in the middle of March and there was no snow at all....but I got some good walks in.

If you are definite about needing snow then it needs to be a last minute decision and pray it's not to windy to open.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@psyxologos, if there's snow and decent weather then go.

I've had short trips up there with the kids for the last two years. The snow has been good, but winds are a major problem. As has been said, be very flexable in your planning and be prepared to drive to the other coast if needed - it's worth it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scotland, one of the few countries in the world where you can learn to ski uphill (wind assisted).

I have the good fortune to live no more than 1.5hrs drive from Glenshee or Lecht but have skied all 5 Scottish Ski centers at some point. As has been mentioned, flexibility is the key for Skiing in Scotland as both weather and snow conditions can vary hugely between the centers on the same day. Wind direction can also be key, closing one center whilst another more sheltered one is fine.

All 5 centers have their own good and bad points. Ski at Nevis on a clear day for instance and I swear there's not a better view from a ski resort in the world. My personal preference is Glenshee though, it's has the largest area and the biggest variety of slopes so you can usually find something worth skiing in most conditions. Be lucky enough to get into Coire Fionn on a clear, calm day after a dump of powder and you'll not stop grinning for weeks (doesn't happen often enough though).
snow conditions
Not much to add to all the good stuff above. My personal favourites are Glencoe for a unique wild feel, it also hold snow a long time because it faces North (and about 1.5hrs from me!) and Glenshee for a more "normal" resort. Aviemore recently has been stupidly crowded, the lecht is good for a bad weather day (more wind shelter than Cairngorm and easier access than Glenshee) but limited otherwise. Every time I have been to Nevis it has been sketchy snow and windy, but that is probably because I have to drive past Glencoe to get there so don't bother unless Glencoe is broken/ shut. Don't forget that the season is a bit different to Alps. there may be nothing until mid Jan but Apr and even May can be epic and you have more chance of good weather.
latest report
Very helpful guys, many thanks. Indeed, everything you said kind of reinforces what I suspected. I do have a 4 year old, and this is going to be her first time skiing. I also have a newborn son, hence the problem with flying to Switzerland. I just thought if I can drive there, keeping the trip reasonable (which should be doable as I live in Lancaster) it might be a good, cheeper alternative to flying to Switzerland...
latest report
We did ski Scotland when the kids were a similar age. We stayed at the Hilton in Coylumbridge, it has lots to do for the older kids if you cant ski and it has a creche to leave the baby in during the day.

But a big problem for younger kids is height. Because the snow has such a variable depth a lot of the drag lifts are impossible for their short legs, they end up flying and spinning through the air while sitting on the button and its a lottery which way they are pointing when they touch down. Because of this despite staying in Aviemore, we drove everyday to the Lecht (1 hrs drive).

But doing a trip like this is not cheap, even if you get a decent deal at the hotel.
ski holidays
Hello,

Rather than start a new thread I thought I might just hijack this one. Apologies if that upsets anyone.

I've moved to Glasgow this sep from London and have been plotting my rush to the Scottish resorts ever since. I am intrigued by Glenshee, which by all accounts seems to be the largest area. Is it realistic to fantasise driving to Glenshee from Glasgow for a day trip? reason I ask is that it seems the best snow to be had is likely to be at short notice and during the middle of the week. So rather than take a few days off to do this during the week, could I just go on the day and get back? According to google, it's only a 2h drive but I'm trying to understand if it is actually feasible?

Another question I had was how snowboard friendly (steep+wide) are the runs?

Thanks very much for any responses.
snow report
@khwaja,
It is certainly doable in a day, I have to drive through Glasgow to get to Glenshee and have done it. Glencoe is a more accessible area from Glasgow though and well worth doing, Nevis is pretty straightforward to get to as well.
I am a skier rather than a boarder most of the runs are I would have though perfectly snowboard friendly from a point of view of width and steepness, but do not underestimate the variability of snowcover, they can be narrow or icy on any given day. The other point you should note as a boarder is that most of the uplift is via surface lifts which boarders tend to be a bit less happy with than skiers.
snow report
@Khwaja

Absolutely it is doable, hundreds if not thousands of people do it on good weekends. Glenshee is now the biggest by a long way as it seems Aviemore are reducing the number of lifts they have and it also has the most chairlifts but 1 is an access chair, one is the legendary "Tiger" Chair (you will see what I mean when you see it) and one services the Sunnyside so not the most exciting.

What we do is look at the forecast around Tuesday/Wednesday, look at the webcams of each resort and then go to the best snow/conditions, it seems to work for us. Oh and don't let the kids wear their ski clothing in the car as when they step out and it's -5 in the car park they freeze as their bodies have adjusted to the car temperature, stick it on them when you get there and if it's busy, park up and send one adult straight to the ticket office to buy the passes and then bring their skis/board to them once you have got everyone out the car and ready to go, it cuts down on the waiting around.

Good luck and welcome to Scotland!
snow report
@khwaja, I moved from London to Aberdeen three years ago (and moved to Glasgow this summer). The ski centres are fantastic assets when you live in Scotland and can choose your days wisely to avoid crowds and, especially, go for good weather.

Yes - Glenshee is about 2hrs from Glasgow. It has about 40km of slopes and 22 lifts including three chairlifts, and is Scotland's largest ski area. Most of the runs are blue/red steepness but the blacks probably just deserve their grading, and few are particularly narrow. Because of its proximity to all the major populated areas, it gets busy particularly at weekends when there's low-level snow in the Central Belt, although is less queue-prone than Cairngorm. You do need to put up with drag lifts at all the Scottish resorts if you want to explore the whole area, but Glenshee's three chairlifts do access a reasonable part of the area (especially if the Cairnwell Chairlift's open). Snow-wise, Glenshee (and the Lecht) quite often closes for the season earlier than the other resorts (it doesn't go very high). It's my favourite east-coast area.

Glencoe is just as close to Glasgow. It's smaller but often quieter (and piste grooming's at a premium).

Nevis Range (quieter still) and Cairngorm (usually busier but often more snowsure) are also well within day-trip distance from Glasgow Smile

Check winterhighland for the best up-to-date info on conditions.
ski holidays
Echo all the above. I live just North of Glasgow so Glencoe is 1 hr away, Nevis 1:45 and glenshee 2:15 hrs. Aviemore and the lecht too far for day trips. Just check each website and the forecasts and pick the one that's got the best conditions. Wind and low cloud are the killers here - wind mainly. However, it's still no fun trying to ski inside a cloud. I have frequently gone to glenshee for the day instead of the closer slopes because the weather is better. Long day out though! They do piste the slopes, but not exactly to European standards so it is a lot like being off piste most of the time (especially Glencoe!). That does wear you out. But they do say if you can ski in Scotland, you can ski anywhere. It does make skiing in Europe or North america very easy!
latest report
@khwaja, Glenshee in a day is easy. I have done it many times from Edinburgh.
snow report
Just bear in mind the lovely new average speed cameras that are being introduced to the A9...
snow report
dode wrote:
Just bear in mind the lovely new average speed cameras that are being introduced to the A9...

^^^^^ THIS. Oh and just a wee reminder, if you are heading to Glenshee, Blairgowrie is the last stop for Fuel, toilets, Bacon Rolls etc as the Spittal of Glenshee Hotel is no longer with us Sad

Hope you enjoy the snow.
snow report
Thanks a ton to everyone who replied. very much appreciate your inputs. +1 @snowcore. That really is good advice. I'd have never thunk it! Looks like I'm about set now. All I need is for the snow to arrive. Yesterday was starting to feel a little more wintry than it has been but today is back to being milder doh! Just have to keep reminding myself that it isn't winter yet!
snow conditions
@wadgebeast, I'm a Helensburgh local too, although a long-term ex-pat these days!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello again,

just wondered if anyone knows of a decent creche in Glenshee? Preferably one that someone here has used.

We have some friends coming over and they have a 9month old baby. I thought I read somewhere that the ski centre at Glenshee operated a creche and that it needs to be booked in advance, but I cant seem to find any details on the internet? Apparently the Spittal hotel had a creche but as @davidhammy pointed out, the place is closed now. Anyone used a creche in or reasonably near Glenshee for the day?

Same question about Glencoe too please.
ski holidays
I don't know for sure, but my estimation of the chances of a creche at either Glencoe or Glenshee would be 0%.
ski holidays
I am with @stevomcd regarding the creche.
snow report
If they're too young to ski, it's traditional to leave the nipper in the car with an irn-bru & a bag of crisps.
snow conditions
I`ve had a couple of days in already. Need some more snow but won`t be long till everything`s up and running https://www.flickr.com/photos/taburetka/sets/72157649385687439/
snow conditions
Anyone planning on heading to Anoch Mor or Glencoe for the scheduled opening on Friday? Glencoe looks like it has enough to open.
snow report
Looking like wind could be the issue, as usual @Bene..... Confused
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:
I don't know for sure, but my estimation of the chances of a creche at either Glencoe or Glenshee would be 0%.

You mean to say you haven't noticed the creche? It is just passed the ice rink and before you get to the thermal spa. 😁😁😁😁
snow report
Aye, next to the outdoor heated wine bar!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy