Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fancy buying a hotel in Courchevel 1650?

Poster: A snowHead
Last weeks Sunday Times has an interesting item for sale in the overseas property pages:

Quote:
"Courchevel 1650.

79 bedded hotel on main road in heart of centre opposite the telecabine.
29 guest rooms...... blah blah....
Integrated lively public bar 'Rockys Bar' included
€4,900,000"

So Ski Olympic's Les Avals is for sale. But then at the bottom of the ad it says "Also 2 other hotels for sale - Vallandry and La Plagne".

They closed down their entire Tignes operation last year so it looks like more major changes are afoot.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-48674690.html

Quote:
Hotel Les Avals boasts an enviable location in the heart of Courchevel 1650, just across the road from the main telecabine and all local amenities. All rooms are en-suite with balcony and those rooms on the rear of the hotel benefit from fantastic views down the valley. The ground floor dining room is large enough to seat 65 guests, and there is a comfortable lounge on the 1st floor with a small library of books, and large flat screen TV with SKY connection. The hotel is home to one of the liveliest bars in Courchevel "Rocky's Bar" which generates a very healthy return each season (included in the sale). There are amble storage rooms throughout the hotel including a private guest ski and boot room with boot warmers.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the formula for this type of purchase is:

1 Hotel = Large Pot of money

leave for 5 years

= Small pot of money.

I couldn't think of anything worse than owning a hotel, I take my helmet off to anyone who can turn a profit in that type of business environment.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting that all 3 of these hotels are still offered in Ski Olympic's brochure
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DCG wrote:
Interesting that all 3 of these hotels are still offered in Ski Olympic's brochure

Could easily sell & lease back.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stewart woodward wrote:
DCG wrote:

Could easily sell & lease back.

Agreed, Stewart, but the rightmove ad makes no mention of that.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidhammy wrote:
I think the formula for this type of purchase is:

1 Hotel = Large Pot of money

leave for 5 years

= Small pot of money.

I couldn't think of anything worse than owning a hotel, I take my helmet off to anyone who can turn a profit in that type of business environment.

Ill give it a go if someone will lend me say 5 million euros Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How much money has admin got in the kitty? Toofy Grin snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've stayed in Les Avals several times and have fond memories. It's in a great location but Ski Olympic have been moving up-market for years now. Perhaps it no longer fits their profile.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DCG wrote:

Presumably they're not planning to turn the property over until after the season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do they actually own the hotel now, or do they just lease from the current owners?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They own it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't believe they need the money after what I spent in Rocky's Bar, Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stayed there a couple of times a few years ago, was rather tired then, probably need to spend a few euro on upgrade @altis, is probably close to mark about moving upmarket.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We were told that they moved out of Tignes last year because the owners doubled the rents. Shame as we have had some great hols with Ski Olympic in Tignes and elsewhere.
snow conditions
42k+ regd snowheads, time share anyone????
snow conditions
79 rooms, so if we got 79 people to contribute £64k they could essentially own a room in the hotel?
I know in reality its not that straight forward but id be up for that.
Have been looking at buying an apartment around that ammount, would be better to actually own part of the building and know its completely owned a group of fellow snowheads and have a say in the running of the building as a whole than just having an apartment in a random black.
ski holidays
thestoney6 wrote:
79 rooms, so if we got 79 people to contribute £64k they could essentially own a room in the hotel?
I know in reality its not that straight forward but id be up for that.
Have been looking at buying an apartment around that ammount, would be better to actually own part of the building and know its completely owned a group of fellow snowheads and have a say in the running of the building as a whole than just having an apartment in a random black.

Great man maths, I'm in
snow conditions
79 beds in 29 rooms. So some sharing needed with the above maths!!
snow report
And no cooking facilities in each 'apartment'.
ski holidays
Hadn't seen this before. We've had some good hols with Ski Olympic, but the whole operation seems to be getting smaller and smaller. We stayed here and the plumbing was dreadful in our room, the smell at times was overpowering, but it was convenient for the lifts and had great views from the restuarant. We liked the chalets in Tignes, really sad when they went. And we like the chalets in Reberty.
As for going upmarket, their prices might have hiked since they won an award but we see little change to the chalets, apart from removal of a fire. They need to do some improvements all round to be VFM and compete in the next rung up.
That said, we would still choose them as a company on a deal. wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy