Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski length for touring/freeride ski

Poster: A snowHead
I've got the gear itch which is looking expensive because I'm at the point that if I buy probably only makes sense if I commit to tech bindings implying buying new boots, bindings, skis, skins and ski crampons. Ouch.

Anyway, I'm struck that the latest lightweight freeride skis with rockers or early rise tips ski shorter allowing you to go longer. Thing is this probably means I could comfortably ski downhill on skis that are too long for comfort for ascents with repeated kick-turns...

What do people think is a good compromise. I'm about 176cm barefoot and have done hut to hut tours on 184s but frankly found them a little cumbersome uphill. I'm not an experienced ski-tourer so I guess it would get easier but my hunch is something around 180 would be better.

What do people think?
Was thinking about whitedot ranger carbonlite, black crows navis freebird or something similar...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How heavy are you? Unless you're a beefy boy I'd go for something shorter I.e. 170's.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a bit of a matter of taste (and how flexible your hips are) - I am bigger than you and generally ski on 185-190 for off piste. These are also my touring skis and I don't think I have ever wished for shorter
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Owen - 78kg in normal clothes - last few years I've skied on conventional sidecuts from 174-184
Arno - what is that 5-10cm more than your height?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jedster, i'm about 187cm I think - I might ski longer skis if they were available, but they generally top out at 185-190cm
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jedster, im same height as you and 82kg and I ski 186 Ranger CL's for exactly what you describe, go long not short is my advice. These coupled with Dynafit Beast 16's and Mercury Boots, awesome set up. Suggest you speak to Spyderjon at Piste Office, he's the font of knowledge when it comes to this stuff! By the way the skis are awesome, and go anywhere skis Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm 5 foot 9, however that works out in cms, and 68-70kg.

For normal skiing I like skis around 190 long. Last season and last week I've been touring on 193 skis. Great for descents, but a BITCH for steep kickturns. Moderate slopes are ok, but on steep slopes I have to slide the tail of one ski under the centre of the other - which basically means I can only tour on steeper slopes in powder/soft snow conditions. Not the end of the world, but gets a bit sketchy when conditions unexpectedly change...

For me I think 183-185cm long would be the best compromise for up and down. I don't see the point in going shorter as the descent is the main part for me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agreed. Proper advice from the Clarkmeister!! 186 Rangers it is then....
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi guys, all good advice for the length if you are looking for downhill performance, however if you are really optimising for the climb then the 177 Rangers are worth considering & are still pretty stable for the down Smile A few of our ambassadors who are not too shy of steep descents ride the 177 happily. Personally I prefer the girth & length of the Ragnarok, but that's purely personal...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah I was touring last season on the 195 Rangers and they were distinctly interesting to kick turn on steep, hard spring snow. I've since discovered the obvious technique where you keep the skis pretty horizontal and get very duck footed. That works but is still a big pain. In contrast 190 skis are straightforward and the majority of the skis I've toured on are between 180-185. I'm 6'1" for reference.

FWIW I'm looking at slimming down my ski collection and getting the 186 Völkl Nanutaq as a pure touring ski.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@jedster, I'm 175cm/79kg & ski the 186cm CarbonLite Rangers with Beasts as a freeride touring ski. I really like the length but the down is waaay more important to me than the up so I've only skinning on 'em for a couple of hours max. If your brief is similar then go 186cm with Rad 2's or Beasts but if your looking to do longer tours/hut to hut stuff then do 177cm with Rad 2's or Speed Radicals. And I've got all of them in stock, inc skins'n'crampons wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@spyderjon,
Quote:

I'm 175cm/79kg

Good man, they'll be tying you down if it gets windy on those cols soon!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone (actually PMed you spyderjon Very Happy ).
Given I'd actually like to use them for longer tours (see Domes de Miage thread Very Happy ) I reckon the 177 is probably a better compromise
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, how long is long?

I wouldn't size down/care about weight reductions past what I said above until I was approaching 2000m vert a day.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jedster, 175-180 sounds like it should be about right
if I was in the market for a ski for that kind of thing, I'd probably go a wee bit narrower than the ones you're looking at (90-95mm underfoot I think), but I already have some skis suitable for touring which are 105mm so I'd be looking for something a little better for technical skinning
snow conditions
It's about the down not the up IMO, I'd go 186.....in fact I did!!
snow conditions
@Markymark29, I'd class the Domes de Miage/Glacier Armancette as a ski mountaineering objective so the up gets a bit more important. i'd do it on 105 underfoot skis, but there would probably be situations where I'd much rather have 90/95mm ones!
ski holidays
@Arno, yep, I get its serious stuff, the Ranger CL's at 186 will handle it, and give you a proper down too, but hey it's down to the individual, asked for an opinion, can only give one...... wink
snow report
K2 Coomback 181cm have been my light weight choice for the last couple of winters and they are totally fine on the way up. They've launched two new Coomback skis this year a 104mm and a 114mm I'm thinking the 104mm is going to be ace at around 181cm and a longer 114mm for bigger days.
snow report
I'm skiing on Whitedot Carbonlite Rangers as well, love them. A great balance of being a solid fun ski underfoot and light enough for the up!
latest report
Arno - I agree, if they were going to be a pure ski mountaineering ski I'd go skinnier too. But I'll use them for lift served stuff too.... compromises compromises. Probably get them quiverkillered though so I could pick up something skinnier in due course.

Markymark - I'm pretty sure the 186s would be better downhill but when a typical days is 6-8 hours up and 30 mins down then something that makes kick turns at 4000m a bit easier is worth having I reckon. I know I caught the tails a bit on 184s and it does add to the fatigue (which also has an impact on the downhill). But again compromises compromises....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy