Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would anyone mind looking at my video ( part 2)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There seems to be a bit of confusion above about what the pole dragging drill is; it's not an indication of incorrect lazy skiing. Hands should be in normal position - not by hips - and both poles should be in constant contact with the snow. See this vid for example of how it forces the skier into good angulation throughout the turn.
http://www.dartfish.tv/webpresenter/Player.aspx?CR=p1490c3372m1768229

It's a drill obviously, but you can actually ski all day like this without looking silly if you want to really nail it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ben76, thanks for the video. Always helps to have a visual aid to help get the message across.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@smagsmith, the key thing in that drill is that the outside pole needs to maintain contact with the snow in order that the upper body doesn't 'bank' in to the turn. For a variation, which will make you look silly, rather than hold the poles normally hold them by the straps and let them dangle, with the pole tips just brushing the snow. The drill is best used at relatively slow speeds - at higher speeds where you will naturally move laterally across your skis a long way it is no longer possible to get the outside pole tip to stay on the snow without getting in to a contrived position.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can definitely relate to my body banking into the turn. Seems like a relatively simple drill that I think I will be able to use to good effect. I currently drag my uphill pole all the time. I am not sure how high my downhill pole is off the slope, but I bet there is a big gap
Cheers
Smag
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
smagsmith wrote:
I am not sure how high my downhill pole is off the slope, but I bet there is a big gap
But is that a bad thing?

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This video is not bad for showing the pole drag.

watch from approx 1 min 10 sec.

youtube.com/v/tKvIZlP9YO0
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great video. I would love to be able to ski like that.
@rob@rar, no, not a bad thing if the rest of you looks like him. Unfortunately , I do not wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@speed098, Such as there is a difference between national styles of skiing (probably a debate for a different thread) I really like the way the Swiss ski - even when they don't win anything.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just returned from 5 days skiing in Tignes and put into practice some of the tips aand hints above. I can really feel things starting to improve. Particular improvments on getting my weight forwards and loading the down hill ski.
My challenge now is to get fit enough to be able to maintain these techniques for longer. I would find that as the day went on, I resorted to old habits as my energy levels dropped. I still struggled to implement the new techniques on reds and blacks, but it was great to get some time on easy blues to try and ingrain the muscles.

Thanks again all

Cheers
Steve
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy