Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montafon | Vorarlberg | Tirol Snow Report 14/15

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
+1 on the edit. Another 1 meter of snow, and things will be really good an covered off-piste.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scored first tracks in some REALLY nice wind-blown pow from Zamangspitz today, and (thankfully!) the climb up and along the ridge wasn't as scary as I expected.

Second run was a bit sketchy - I forget the name, but it was a north-ish facing slope, skiing down towards Silbertal. Despite a semi weight bearing crust, we got a BIG whompf from the snowpack; the sort of sound that you feel as much as hear. At that point the slope was too flat to really slide, but still scary, so we beat a hasty retreat. Time for a beer!

No photos, as despite remembering the 'thrid person GoPro mount' I won on Facebook, I forgot the SD card Embarassed and my phone camera is playing up (again) rolling eyes

In separate news, 12 skiers/boarders were caught in a big avalanche at the Mölltaler Glacier yesterday, but luckily all survived: http://wepowder.com/weblog/5625/Twelve-people-in-an-avalanche-on-the-Mölltaler-Glacier

There's some funky stuff going on in the snow right now. Be very careful skiing offpiste in Western Austria right now!!

Looks like more snow on the way tonight/tomorrow, but I think I'll be sticking to the trees!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rain to high-up - maybe even the top - on Friday. No sign of fresh snow anyway.

REALLY warm and springlike yesterday in Schruns, but still some great skiing to be had. Lots of nice slushy moguls everywhere, though the higher pistes didn't get cut up that much. Somewaht surprisingly the best conditions and most fun was the home run down form Hochjoch - even from the middle station down to town was great.

Big change in the weather today - it's cold and snowing right down to the village (700m), though also pretty windy even down here. No point skiing today as there's certainly not enough new snow to cover the re-frozen junk underneath. Not huge accumulations of snow yet, but I'm hopeful that tomorrow will be nice.

With a bit of luck the warmth and rain will have stabilised the snowpack a bit now it's colder, at least under 2000m or so. There'll be a lot of freshly formed snowdrifts and windslab around on the surface, but hopefully the deeper layers in the snowpack will have bonded better. Will have to wait and see!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@clarky999, thanks for the updates.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arriving in Schruns this evening, any update on snow now, what's the stability like off-piste?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey @Peter Ross. I've been on the office all week, so don't know personally but:

- I had a meeting in St Gallenkirk today, and it was snowing down to the bottom of the lifts. Not a lot, but probably 5-10cm in the right places higher up
- Colleagues were skiing yesterday, and reported 20-30 cms of wind-blow pow on south facing slopes (windscoured on the north) up Hochjoch, and that pistes were nice.

I think the snowpack is calming down a bit. It was never quite as bad here as places further south and higher like Ötztal (we had less old snow to rot!), but weak layers are still there and need care.

Bergfex and wePowder both seem to expect big snow this weekend, but I'm not quite sure where they're getting that from as I don't really see it anywhere...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been a bit slack here recently...

BUT we've actually had some pretty good snow!

Bernie making the most of the snow in Ischgl on 17th Jan:

And his edit of the day:

Birthday POWDAY! from Sqikunst
http://vimeo.com/117167333

I got in on the action too:

and got around to testing the 3rd Person View Mount (from http://www.sailvideosystem.com), which I won on Facebook:

On the 18th Jan I went touring with my buddy Leo, though due to pretty sketchy avalanche conditions we stuck to flat terrain at Lampsenspitz (and I messed up the GoPro angles, again). Nice snow though:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qYhMyX]

Last Saturday I went for a mellow tour at Bergeralm with friends - nice snow, but TERRIBLE visibility, so no photos. Good training for the legs, at least. Sunday ended up being a surprise pow day at Nordkette - we didn't get up there 'til about 1pm as the webcams looked miserable, but just after we started skiing the sun poked through, and we scored fresh tracks down Tobel (right to the bottom at 860m) in 30cms of powder. No complaints!

This week has also been pretty damn good, with significant amounts of new snow. We went to play in the trees at Hochjoch (above Schruns) on Tuesday morning, as it was still snowing. My colleague Tom took this snap of me - those signs mean private powder, right?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qYrUJe]

Another 20-30cms fell last night on top of Tuesday's 30, so it was game on today (Wed) in St Gallenkirch when the sun came out. Here's a quick GoPro cut I made for Instagram from one run:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qYhMyX]

The threat of old weak layers in the snowpack has receeded somewhat around Montafon, but there's plenty of new windslab that's pretty easy to trigger. Whilst skiing a really fun slope from St Gallenkirch towards Gargellen today, one of my colleague's triggered a reasonable size slab on the (roughly) west facing side of a ridge he was riding along. Debris was only about knee deep, but it was a good wake up call.

In similar news, there was a big avalanche at Nordkette today, involving 3 people (who are all now ok, AFAIK), one at Lech am Arlberg, and I believe one at Rendl. Play safe.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 29-01-15 12:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And now it's dumping again Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy