Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne 27/12/14 to 03/01/15 Ski Touring

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I am going on a family ski holiday in La Plagne for a week over this new year with my family. I am wanting to start ski touring but I dont have anyone to go with so I would probably have to go with a guide or if anyone knows if there is any way of meeting up with others?

I have done a fair bit of alpine/winter climbing and I am good at skiing on piste and in powder but I have never done any proper off piste, I dont have experience with avalanche tranceivers and I have never done any ski touring.

Any advice welcome, and any recommendations with guides or groups I could go with? Thanks!
Nicos
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Nicos,

The best bet is to get in touch with one of the ski schools who will be able to give you an intro to ski touring and more information - Reflex and Oxygene are probably the best options to think about.

The other thing to look at is the resort often run free avalanche training to give you an idea of how to use the kit. The areas where this happens are marked on the piste map and the easiest way to find out more is to just rock up and ask about it.

Hope it helps . . .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for your reply, I have just sent Reflex and Oxygene a message and I will look in to the free avalanche training.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would agree with @Snow and Sunshine, that getting in touch with a school or local guide is a good way to get started. But once you have been shown the ropes and feel a bit more confident, let me know if you want to hook up for the odd day or half-day tour. I will be in Les Arcs (just a stone's throw away) same time as you (plus a few days) and a friend will be staying in St Foy who enjoys his skinning and may also be up for a bit of the up hill stuff. It would be tame - nothing extreme or gnarly. PM me if interested.

You may want to invest in beacon/shovel/probe up front. Presumably you have touring skis and skins?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Bobski! That would be great to meet up, i will send you my number.

I already have touring ski's, bindings and boots because I am sure i want to do as much touring as I can. I am looking in to buying a tranceiver, probe and shovel as well, but i'm not sure yet which tranceiver to get. Also I will be getting an instructional book to read before I get there.

Also if anyone else is in a simillar position to me and would like to share the cost of hiring a guide then let me know.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the message Nicos. See you out there I hope... 2nd the recommendations for Oxygene & Reflex!

James
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy