Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski touring gear etc for a complete novice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I'm considering getting into ski touring. I've been down hill skiing for a number of years, reasonably proficient off piste.

I live in the Lakes and do a lot of fell walking so this winter conditions dependant I'm thinking of combining my two loves. Essentially walking or skinning up then if I find a nice patch of snow skiing it! I know my local fells like the back of my hand so will be confident on what's below the snow and of course can utilise the tow up on Raise and hopefully make some touring friends Very Happy I'll be walking throughout the winter anyhow so can just sling the skis in the car if conditions look promising. I've a couple of ski weeks planned this winter in the Alps but have never done any touring either-just the lift served small hike stuff.

So what do I need? I know nothing so humour me. When it comes to touring is it a case just getting a ski with a touring binding or are their dedicated touring skis? Suspect saving on weight is more of a consideration in the design/construction? I have my own boots, what's the difference with touring boots?

Any advice appreciated, I'm also looking for a cheapish set up if anyone has one they'd like to part with and of course if anyone else is up to or fancies an adventure this winter give me a shout! I'm based nr Ennerdale.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need touring bindings on your skis, skins to fit them and some lightweight, rubber-soled touring boots that will fit and safely release from whatever bindings you choose. 'Anything Technical' in Kendal will have a selection of kit in their shop that you can look at, and if you go in with a credit card, you may end up coming out ready to go.

You'll also need a pack that can carry your skis, skins and lunch, along with the crampons, ice axe, avalanche safety gear etc you'll get later. Whatever bindings you end up starting off with though, do get boots that are compatible with Dynafit (Tech) bindings, as you'll most likely end up wanting them sooner or later.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy