Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere Novice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Just joined the forum. I'm going to Val D'Isere in December for my first time skiing. I'm heading with a group of friends but they're all going snowboarding, and I'd rather ski.

Just looking for recommendations on which Ski School/Instructor to book with, and how long would I need to learn before at least being able to cope on some of the easier slopes. Friends are mostly beginners too, so won't exactly be going on anything too difficult.

From reading around, I'm seeing TDC is one of the more recommended ones. Is that good for complete beginners?

Is it worth going with a private lesson too, or should I go for one of the group clinics, or even the Private Lesson Share Scheme thing that TDC do.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
titan31, welcome to snowheads. snowHead TDC have a very good reputation but there are a number of others. Realistically you should take lessons all week - group lessons should be fine, and more sociable as well as affordable, but make sure group size is not more than 6. Towards the end of the week you should be getting the hang of it - BUT do not let your friends persuade you to ski back down to Val d'Isere. There is no easy (or even moderately easy) way. Take the lift down.

How sporty/fit are you? People do learn at a very different rate.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't be that sporty or fit. I'll be working on my fitness over the next month and a bit, but realistically, I can't imagine myself skiing every day over there. I know my friends were on about snowmobiling and husky sledding. 6 of them went snowboarding last year, and there's another 5 going who've never gone before, so there'll be a few at the same level.

How much would a one on one session cover in 3 hours, assuming going at a moderate pace? Since I'd like to hang with my friends out there, so would one morning be enough, or would I need two? I'd prefer not to be in group lessons all week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@titan31, Prices for TDC private lessons are on their website. I'm a big fan but agree with pam that group would be fine for you....er just seen you think you can learn to ski in 1 morning Shocked my niece had 5 mornings private lessons as a complete beginner aged 17, by the end of the week she very carefully did an easy red run with us, after 2 lessons she was just about learning how to get on an off a chair lift

So, private lesson last year for 3 hours was €225 (€75 per hour, 3 hrs standard).

What are your mates doing as beginner snowboarders?

If you go husky sledding make sure you are covered on your insurance - I was quite shocked to find I wan't on a very good policy and had to upgrade to an extreme policy for cover, You can do the activities in an afternoon and still ski every day
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

would one morning be enough, or would I need two?

Unless you are well coordinated and fairly brave you will still be doing careful, controlled, snowplough turns down an easy slope after two lessons. And it will feel fantastic! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@titan31, I'd advise using one of the indoor ski slopes ASAP and taking part in at least their learn to turn days, and some follow-up lessons/sessions if possible. It'll give you a huge boost to have already sussed out how to put your boots on, clip into your skis, and wear your clobber, let alone staying stood up at rest, staying stood up when sliding, and working out some basic slowing, stopping and turning techniques.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My friends will more than likely be doing one session with 4/5 of them in it, and going on after that. Friends who went last year didn't do any lessons. I'd rather do the lessons though, and have some idea of what I'm doing instead of falling all over the place.

I'm also really hoping I'll enjoy it as I hate sun holidays, and love snow, and watching winter sports, so don't mind spending the money to get the most enjoyment I can out of it, as it can be something I'd love doing for the rest of my life.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 28-10-14 22:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@titan31, do you want to enjoy skiing? Then you are definetly need lessons. Couple of years back my brother joined me and my friends in Tignes. Ibooked 3 private lessons for him with the TDC although he first was "sure" he did not needed any. Skiing down the mountain and "getting down" the mountain are two different things. If you want to enjoy and learn doing it properly, then you need lessons - spend the money on lessons rather than drinks and you will see it will be worth it. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@titan31, Is there any chance that you could spend some time in one of the indoor ski centres before you go? Could give you a bit of a head start before you hit the slopes. Val's beginner area is quite extensive as these things go.

If you do progress to the upper slopes there is a great "ski tranquil" area accessed from the Olympic gondola. (return via same lift)

Go with the lessons, group or otherwise Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@titan31, If all your mates are snowboarders -- go for group lessons all week ... then you'll have someone to ski with. If you can afford it get to you local slope (indoor or dry) as soon as you can.... the more skiing you can do before you get to Val -- the better time you will have there, Don't even think about having a day off -- ski resorts are not great places (IMV) to hang about in.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

How much would a one on one session cover in 3 hours

I assume you mean 3 hour lessons every day and then free skiing in the afternoons or mornings. 6 full day lessons would be better but obviously more expensive.
Beginners classes all have a lot of fun together and I would recommend them so you can have new friends to ski with when not in lessons. And ESF are fine
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@johnE, he means 1 lesson!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@titan31, if we're understanding you correctly (with having 1 lesson at the start of the week and thats it) then what you're asking is a bit like saying, "will I be able to play in a band if I have 1 guitar lesson?".

The advice so far re more lessons and having lessons before you go out are all sound.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@titan31, if it will be your first time experience in mountains and your friends are mostly beginers too - study the piste map carefuly, as Espace Killy is a huge skiing area, you may inadvertantly take a more difficult run than you would want to. Ski lessons are needed also to avoid mistakes that people develop while 'self-learning'. Minimum would be 3 morning sessions of 3 hours each (9 hour in total) by TDC or any other school. A 3 hour session is circa 195 pounds or 230 EUR for 1-to-1 tuition, check with schools. On your first lesson you will learn of what to do and how to get up when you fall (and you will fall a few times at least). Things that look obvious or you do not think about them at all - like getting on a chair lift or getting off one - may surprise you. Nothing difficult of course, but if nobody tells you 'what and how' you may end up in funny situations.

Plus, if you take private 1-to-1 lessons, instructor will show you around - best places for your ability and will do it safely. So 600 pounds may sound a lot (it is a lot), but a good instruction is worth it - for your safety, health, and fun that waits for you in years to come.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Would anyone have any recommendations on ski schools then? I got on to TDC and BASS, and neither are doing group sessions for beginners that week. Would any of the schools be doing beginner group sessions then?
ski holidays
I'm not sure we know when in December you're going!

You could try Mountain Masters
snow conditions
Oh, sorry, I'm going on December 7th to 14th. Won't be early enough on the 7th though, so Monday 8th is my first skiing day.

On Mountain Masters, they don't seem to have a beginner level, earliest level seems to be for confident blue run skiers.
ski holidays
@titan31, odd, because on this page it specifically mentions lift passes for beginners!?! Tbh, I'd get in touch with them; Ru Goldring, Rupert Tildsley, Dave Cowell & Jonesy are all great guys
snow report
Ah, cool, will get in touch then. Was looking at the Levels on the side with Approach as the first
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy