Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need advice on a cheap resort recommendation in France

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I am searching and searching for THE perfect budget station to bring the kids this February. By 'budget' I mean relatively cheap ESF and forfait/skipass for them (and maybe for me and my husband if we choose also to ski). The kids are beginners skiers, so we don't need a big mountain. Aside from cost, some priorities for me include an outdoor skating rink/patinoire, a cute village feeling, and enough restaurants to be able to get a good fondue or raclette once or twice while we are in vacation, and to sit during the day and enjoy a hot chocolate. A piste de luge and bowling alley would be pluses! Some names I have pinpointed are Albiez, St Jean d'Aulps, La Chapelle d'Abondance, Crest Voland... Many places I originally looked at either have spread out villages (Morzine, Les Contaminés) or are just too expensive (Megeve, Meribel, les Saisies). As you can see, I am a bit all over the place and not seeing straight anymore. The only place we've ever been before is La Clusaz, which we really liked, but it is too expensive for us this year. We live in the Paris region, and so will be going the last week of the February holidays. Any suggestions??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd go with a Crystal Ski saver deal to the La Plagne (cheap) or Les Arcs (fairly cheap) area, on a catered chalet basis (cheapest way to eat without going self catered).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you considered St Jean d'Aulps the look at Praz D Lys as I feel it has more of a balance toward your list, not sure of bowling at either though.

Morillon for costs and smaller village with patinoire at Samoens.

Val Cenis Lansvillard, good match for facilities costs, eating out, convenience of snow front accessible all along the village to match observers with skiers.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for these replies! For the Crystal Ski suggestion, I checked but it seems they deal in packages (including transport) from the UK. And I'm based in France, so only need the lodging. But I'll double check. Thanks for the station suggestions. I'll have a look now. I had also looked at Mont Saxonnex and Albiez. Which are pretty cheap. Any opinion on either of these? Thanks once again!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Friends of ours swear by Chamrousse, near Grenoble. A decent size area, relatively unknown internationally and free lift passes for kids (or there was 3 or 4 years ago when they last went).

It's a purpose built resort with a good snow record and is cheap, by French standards.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't think there's a rink in Albiez but, otherwise, it would suit you perfectly. It is one of our favourite resorts and we keep going back there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you! It's at the top of my list. Now, along with Bonneval sur arc. I know there's no skating rink at Albiez, but they have a lot of activities. I'm glad to know you know it and like it. Thanks everyone!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For Chamrousse, I also looked at it, but I saw a bunch of modern buildings (??) and so that put me off. But once again, thank you for your suggestions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Been a couple of times to Bonneval and, TBH, I'm not in a rush to go back - other than to access the refuges nearby. It's quite high - and cold and windy - and I wouldn't really call the layout beginner friendly. Albiez is kind of in a bowl with the village at the base. Very pretty with a very family-friendly atmosphere.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
No rink in Albiez. Small resort and limited accommodation. The drive up can take a while in fresh snow as its not one of the first to be treated and lots of bends! You will need chains if it snows.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you've been to La Clusaz, I'm surprised you're not looking at Grand Bornand next door. Fabulous for the kids, lovely little village, snow-shoeing in the evenings, Ice rink and full Cross-country skiing set up. We've been twice and if you get the Aravis Ski pass you can jump on the bus to re-visit La Clusaz for the day. Best of all (and we were large groups with many children) have a look at the Apartments at Camping Le Scale. http://www.campinglescale.com/?lang=en. Basic but well looked after, plenty of space in the larger ones and the Campsite does (did?) give you the option of half-pension in their restaurant on-site. Great discounts with ESF and ski hire too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are wanting a cheap holiday why not go at Easter instead?
I think Val Cenis would be a good option for you. It has everything you are looking for.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i went to villard des lans in february a few years ago.

Low key resort on the opposite side of the grenoble valley to les deux alpes etc. I seem to remember that there is an indoor rink and pool.

I've no idea on the specifics of the costs, but it'll be cheaper than most of the well know alpine resorts. Not many other English people, which may be good or bad depending on whether the kids require the company of other in ski school.

I've also done Bonneval. There's a lot more skiing in villard. Bonneval is pretty limited. Also likely to be cold in feb as the skiing is quite high up.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Valloire is another option, it had an outdoor rink and a proper village feel when I was there as a beginner. That was a longer time ago than I would like to admit though, so I'm not sure how it is these days.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What about Le Mont dore? Perfect for beginners with ESF for kids and less than 4 hours drive from Paris. Also has a bowling alley, skating ring, sledging area with lift etc. Very cheap compared with the big alpine resorts. Superbesse on the other side of the mountain (usually linked) is also a possiblity.
latest report
Quote:

What about Le Mont dore?

Pretty little spa town too. I love it for a couple of days, for beginners/little children it will be more than enough for a week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy