Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France 14th - 21st Mar 15 returning skier - where to go from Grenoble

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I've not been skiing for years but am now looking to take my daughter to France to ski 14th - 21st March 15 (she went with the school to Tignes this year and loved it so its my excuse to go !).

I've managed to book some decent price flights to Grenoble and will hire a car from there (and buy snow chains locally if required) not worried about the driving.

I've spent a lot of time reading through the various posts on here trying to decide where would be best and am no closer to deciding ! looking at the following resorts to book through snowtrex

Superdevoluy

La Joue du Loup

Valmeinier

Serre Chevalier

Les Deux Alps

Saint Sorlin (Les Sybelles)

Tignes

Do anyone have any advice on which would be best ? The price ranges a lot from Superdevoluy bottom end to Tignes / Les deux Alps top end. Is it worth this difference ?

Any opinions would be much appriciated.

Thanks

Steve
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tomlin169, Serre Chevalier would be a good choice for mid-March, and it's just after the French holidays end so it won't be too crowded. Lovely sunny days and great snow. There's a good English-speaking ski school for lessons. Prices are very reasonable compared to the larger resorts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomlin169 wrote:
Hi,

I've not been skiing for years but am now looking to take my daughter to France to ski 14th - 21st March 15 (she went with the school to Tignes this year and loved it so its my excuse to go !).

I've managed to book some decent price flights to Grenoble and will hire a car from there (and buy snow chains locally if required) not worried about the driving.

I've spent a lot of time reading through the various posts on here trying to decide where would be best and am no closer to deciding ! looking at the following resorts to book through snowtrex

Superdevoluy

La Joue du Loup

Valmeinier

Serre Chevalier

Les Deux Alps

Tignes

Do anyone have any advice on which would be best ? The price ranges a lot from Superdevoluy bottom end to Tignes / Les deux Alps top end. Is it worth this difference ?

Thanks

Steve

Can you tell us the prices? Is it double? Les 2 Alpes is certainly not worth a lot more than Superdevoluy unless it is a bad snow year. How old is your daughter?

Personally from Grenoble I'd probably just take a 1 week appartment in les 7 laux in the place with the spa/pool. I probably wouldn't even bother with the car in that case. Otherwise on your list les Sybelles or Valmeinier. I wouldn't do Serre Chevalier because of the road pass - who needs the hassle of a 2000m pass in winter eh? Valmorel should probably be on the list too. First resort after Albertville.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells wrote:
@tomlin169, Serre Chevalier would be a good choice for mid-March, and it's just after the French holidays end so it won't be too crowded. Lovely sunny days and great snow. There's a good English-speaking ski school for lessons. Prices are very reasonable compared to the larger resorts.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, Serre Chevalier seems to come up as a pretty family friendly resort, might look into that further.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof wrote:
tomlin169 wrote:
Hi,

Superdevoluy

La Joue du Loup

Valmeinier

Serre Chevalier

Les Deux Alps

Tignes

Thanks

Steve

Can you tell us the prices? Is it double? Les 2 Alpes is certainly not worth a lot more than Superdevoluy unless it is a bad snow year. How old is your daughter?

Personally from Grenoble I'd probably just take a 1 week appartment in les 7 laux in the place with the spa/pool. I probably wouldn't even bother with the car in that case. Otherwise on your list les Sybelles or Valmeinier. I wouldn't do Serre Chevalier because of the road pass - who needs the hassle of a 2000m pass in winter eh? Valmorel should probably be on the list too. First resort after Albertville.

Les 2 Alpes is nigh on double the price of Superdevoluy. My daughter will be 13 when we go.

Do you mean Résidences Prapoutel in Les 7 Laux ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@tomlin169, I've been to Serre Che, Tignes and LDA, I would avoid LDA, ive never seen, so many blood wagons going doing the mountain as there, it seems like it attracts a lot of people who think they can ski/ board fast but clearly can't, I certainly won't go again unless it was my only option ( free I guess).
Tignes is a big ski area, so still plenty to do on revisit.
Serre Che I really liked, it was 13 years ago and there were quiet a few drag lifts which I think have been upgraded. Can't comment on the other but la Joue looks a little limied from what I have seen.
Is your daughter is going to ski school or your going to ski tougher all day. Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 27-10-14 21:09; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tomlin169, although there is a road pass to Serre Chevalier, it is usually (although not always) clear in mid-March, and unless there is high winds or avalanche risks would be opened soon after any snow fall.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
geoffknight wrote:
@tomlin169, I've been to Serre Che, Tignes and LDA, I would avoid LDA, ive never seen, so many blood wagons going doing the mountain as there, it seems like it attracts a lot of people who think they can ski/ board fast but clearly can't, I certainly won't go again unless it was my only option ( free I guess).
Tignes is a big ski area, so still plenty to do on revisit.
Serre Che I really liked, it was 13 years ago and there were quiet a few drag lifts which I think have been upgraded. Can't comment on the other but la Joue looks a little limied from what I have seen.
It might help to get more replies if your say when your going, if your daughter is going to ski school or your going to ski tougher all day. Very Happy

Hi,

we have flights booked 14th - 21st Mar 15.

We are planning on skiing togther, which may consist of me thinking i can still ski and her actually being able to ski !
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mid March should be a great time to ski in any of those places. But given that you haven't skied for years, and she's a one-week beginner, why not have some lessons too?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tomlin169 wrote:

Les 2 Alpes is nigh on double the price of Superdevoluy. My daughter will be 13 when we go.

Do you mean Résidences Prapoutel in Les 7 Laux ?

Well no LDA is not worth double superdevoluy, far from it. They both have their "charms". Superdevoluy was one of the first holiday resorts in the world to have timeshare, that and its huge brutalist apartment block that dominates the "front neige" are its main claims to fame. The skiing is wild and spectacular it has a good snow record. Les Deux Alpes, take yer flick knife if you go out at night. The lift staff need some serious time at charm school too. T-bars on the glacier, ugh. If I wanted t-bars I would go to Switzerland.

Les Sybelles, huge ski sprawlng ski area but lacks vertical. La Toussuire is San Francisco sur neige. Le Corbier, huge tower blocks, not very quaint. St Sorlin is maybe better as a location.

Valmeinier, a bit of a sleeper. Big ski area. I don't know Valmeinier but linked Valloire is quaint with a good range of restaurants and cafes. It would have to be on the list.

Tignes is a bit of a schlepp really. Can't beat l'Espace Killy for skiing really. Probably the best domain in France.

I will let Helen promote Serre Chevalier. Another top level ski area. The weather could be good, there is a real difference on the other site of the Lauteret mountain pass. A door into summer.

13? An adult pretty much. I think any of the resorts you mentioned would be good.

How much is apres ski important to you? That might swing it to one of the bigger, more international places. I imagine a lot of it will be about spending some quality time with your daughter. Normally in March you could expect longer days, warm weather but it is frequently one of the more snowy months in France as the seasons change so somewhere with some tree skiing is a good idea just in case.

Oh and as your skiing level doesn't seem to be that high (forgive me if I'm wrong) go somewhere with English speaking instructors and don't waste too much cash on a big ski area you might not make use of. I would really focus on ski school options as this stage if you are going to take lessons.

At les 7 Laux I'm thining of Les Granges.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alpe d'Huez? Closest 'big' resort to Grenoble I believe. Had a super sunny week there in mid march a few years ago when attending a wedding in Grenoble itself.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidof, was I being a bit too diplomatic re LDA? Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Tomlin - Fantastic opportunity to ski with your daughter- I have for the last few years juggled a holiday for low internediates to one very competent skier. Have used Snowtrex - great value ( only stopped cos getting older and needed a bit more lounge comfort). Have skied in Super Devoluy, La Joue du Loup and Serre Che. Have also considered Valmenier and St Sorlin - but not sure it held enough for the very advanced skier. (why we moved on from La Joue - although we did go there twice.) We all enjoyed the skiing in all the resorts. However kids progress so fast, Serre Che is a fantastic resort and well worth the high lift cost pass if you will ski the whole area. However there is plenty of skiing to be had in Super Dev and La Joue for as you say a lower price for this holiday with your daughter. Hopefully all will go well and there will be many holidays to follow.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@tomlin169, we went to Valmeinier and Serre Che last season. Had great times at both. Away from the skiing we found Serre Che to be a bit more social than Valmeinier, which is pretty quiet although the other town in the area Valloire is a bit bigger and possibly livelier (we only went down during the day). Valmeinier and Serre Che were both excellent for the skiing. We covered a huge amount of ground in Valmeinier when were there.

My first week skiing was in Alpe d'Huez. The easy greens in the bowl near town are perfect for someone who hasn't been skiing for a long time to get their skiing legs back.

Also been to L2A, and whilst we enjoyed it out of everywhere we've been it's the area I'd least like to return to.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidof,
Quote:

Les Deux Alpes, take yer flick knife if you go out at night.

@geoffknight,
Quote:

Tignes and LDA, I would avoid LDA, ive never seen, so many blood wagons going doing the mountain as there,

Tell us more or at least point to the relevant newspaper articles.
snow conditions
geoffknight wrote:
@davidof, was I being a bit too diplomatic re LDA? Toofy Grin

hah, maybe. It is funny, the admin staff, tourist office, lift office all seem pleasant then they seem to have hired some of the least service oriented people in the world to man the lifts.

> Tell us more or at least point to the relevant newspaper articles.

amongst other sources

http://www.wat.tv/video/appels-urgence-fetes-agressions-6np23_2ey1r_.html

sorry don't have a link to the full programme but les Deux Alpes has a reputation (rightly or wrongly) as being a dangerous once the clubs turn out. A kind of Marseille sur neige.
ski holidays
Thanks for all your posts.

Superdevoluy currently the favourite i think, does anyone know what the drive there is like ?

Also... would Chamrousse be any good ? seems to be very reasonable transfers to there.

Thanks
ski holidays
@johnE, pure observation when last there in 2005, saw more people being airlifted or taken down the mountain on a blood wagon than I've ever seen anywhere else, plus lots of people unable to control themselves throughout the resort, therefore not a place I would recommend.
snow report
I sooooooooooooooooo wish I didn't read this post.

Me and the mrs are going to LDA in January Neutral Crying or Very sad
latest report
@kiteman69, and plenty of people do go there and have a great holiday.
snow conditions
Quote:

plenty of people do go there and have a great holiday.

indeed. There's a fair bit of nonsense about "favourite" and "least favourite" resorts and countries. A ski holiday is what you make of it, who you go with, who you have lessons with. There is skiing for ALL levels of ability at Les Deux Alpes. Some people have a big downer on it because of the difficulty of skiing down to the resort (difficult runs or easier ones which are often icy and crowded) which is a very silly reason, in my book. If you write off all resorts where you have to download in a lift you'll miss some of the best.

If you'd like some lessons the highly regarded Charlotte Swift (easiski.com) cannot be bettered.

Have fun. snowHead
latest report
tomlin169 wrote:

Also... would Chamrousse be any good ? seems to be very reasonable transfers to there.

Thanks

Some nice skiing in Chamrousse, especially for 1 week skiers. Can get a bit busy at times due to the proximity to Grenoble and you do get some very poor skiers on the beginner runs because of this. It is not a huge ski area and the facilities are a bit spread out over the mountain.
snow report
@tomlin169,
Never been to Super Devouluy but my guess is that English speaking group lessons might be a bit hard to come by if these are important to you.

One resort which I would also consider if I was you would be Val Cenis which is a medium sized ski area with a very reasonably priced lift pass and some really good green runs, attractive area and decent resort and decently north facing which in Mid march may be useful if it is warm. The drive up is reasonably straight forward as well.
Enough English speaking clientèle to make English speaking lessons likely but not so many that you feel as if you are still in UK.
latest report
Will take a look at that.

Dont think we'll be taking lessons, hopefully getting some practice in on our local dry slope before we leave.
snow conditions
@tomlin169, lessons on real snow would probably be better than the dry slope practice. How long is it since you last skied?
ski holidays
Quite some time Embarassed
snow report
@pam w, I agree with downloads, best way of avoiding the end of day bun fight when everyone is tired, especially less experienced people. LDA,s slopes are fine, it's just some of the people that use them spoil it I feel rolling eyes
snow report
Serre Chevalier is your best choice - excellent drive from Grenoble over the Col de Lauteret with stunning views. Let me know if you need an excellent B & B right in the centre of Chantemerle run by English woman married to a French ski instructor.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skilegs wrote:
Serre Chevalier is your best choice - excellent drive from Grenoble over the Col de Lauteret with stunning views. Let me know if you need an excellent B & B right in the centre of Chantemerle run by English woman married to a French ski instructor.

Looking like a choice between Serre Chev and Chamrousse.

Trying to do it on a budget. Snowtrex prices with the passes and hire seem very reasonable.
snow report
tomlin169 wrote:

Superdevoluy currently the favourite i think, does anyone know what the drive there is like ?

Pretty easy. Drive to Grenoble then La Mure and take a fork off after la Mure, long straight road through a big valley followed by a climb to the resort. All on relatively quiet roads after la Mure. You'll possibly need chains for the ramp de Vizille and for the final climb to resort. If it snows.
ski holidays
Still changing my mind on an hourly basis Shocked
ski holidays
@tomlin169,
You have your flights booked it is low season, there are only two of you. If I was in your position I would wait and see where the snow is good. You would be unlucky at that time of year not to get decent snow most places but occasionally you can get a poor snow year when conditions are a bit scratchy and it can heat up a lot in March making it even more scratchy. The snow conditions either side of Lautaret can be very different some years favouring the south (like last year) and some the north. You should be able to get into any resort at short notice for two people and you may well find a decent discount if you wait till late.
Any of the above resorts should give you decent skiing most of the time and Serre Che is one of my favourites but you lose little by waiting.
ski holidays
Quote:

@tomlin169,

You have your flights booked it is low season, there are only two of you. If I was in your position I would wait and see where the snow is good. You would be unlucky at that time of year not to get decent snow most places but occasionally you can get a poor snow year when conditions are a bit scratchy and it can heat up a lot in March making it even more scratchy. The snow conditions either side of Lautaret can be very different some years favouring the south (like last year) and some the north. You should be able to get into any resort at short notice for two people and you may well find a decent discount if you wait till late.

Any of the above resorts should give you decent skiing most of the time and Serre Che is one of my favourites but you lose little by waiting.

Sound advice - wish I had taken it myself !!!
snow report
Any reason not to consider places like Montalbert, Peisey Vallandry or the rest of the Paradiski in general?
snow report
T Bar wrote:
@tomlin169,

Thats probably good advice, I wasnt sure how quick the Snowtrex cheaper end deals sold out, looking to do this on a fairly tight budget !
ski holidays
Agree with the wait and see - you might get yourselves a nice catered chalet for a bargain.

If you were interested in the 3V, i have a top floor 2 bed apartment in Brides les Bains available that week. It is not ski in / out but you have the choice of driving to Meribel or taking the gondola up ( about 20 mins either way) - and if you are watching your wallet you will find everything in Brides from ski hire to a beer cheaper than in higher resorts. PM if you want any more information.
Plenty of transfer from grenoble to 3V - both private and shared.
ski holidays
I'd seriously consider Chamrousse -- close to Grenoble (you wouldn't need a car as there are transfers), and it is a good ski domain. Easily enough for a week -- one thing I like about the domain is that you can ski anywhere (like a giant playground), on the slopes, off the slopes, through the trees. Great fun.

The resort is spread out over 3 main 'bases' (which all connect to the same area -- 1650, 1750 and Arselles). Arselles is good (would work well for single parent + teenager), there are a couple of bars, some restaurants and a swimming pool (outdoors, but you enter from indoors - so to speak!). Chamrousse was part of the Grenoble '68 winter olympics - and you can do some of the same runs they used - like the Couloir de Casserousse -- one of my favourites (great from the top).

Certainly worth considering IMO
snow report
@CharlieL, I prefer les 7 Laux
snow report
We are pretty much settled on Chamrousse at the minute, seems exactly what we are looking for. Planning on using the Benbus service rather than hire a car to make it nice and easy.
snow report
You'll have a great time. I practically lived there for a while -- had so many fantastic days. If you are good skiers you can really have a lot of fun in the trees and between pistes. Les 7 Laux is awesome as well -- maybe a slightly bigger domain, but less developed in terms of restaurants, hotels etc -- though they may have developed it more recently. Both are popular with local skiers - Wednesdays outside of School holidays are busier because of the local school children coming up and ski clubs etc. Not really an issue though as the overall crowd numbers are nothing like the mega snow complexes like LDA and ADH.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy