Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Drivable resort for group of 4 beginners

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

I'm looking for your expert recommendations on a resort to go to for a small group of 4 looking to go at the beginning of March.

2 of us have been a couple of times before are maybe... low end intermediate, but 2 are beginners that will be getting a few lessons before they go.

Somewhere with a good amount of beginner runs, perhaps with free access to some green runs they could use for the first part of the week and then some easily accessible blues for later on.

We're looking for somewhere drive-able from the UK and not too expensive.

Would like some decent apres ski but it doesn't have to be crazy.

For accommodation we'd look for a self catered apartment and pick up some supplies way to reduce the cost of eating out every night.

All ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at La Clusaz and also Les Gets/Morzine
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@trusz, Villars, Switzerland. Les Gets, Morzine, Avoriaz, La Rosiere France. Bregenzerwald resorts in western Austria (Au, Damuls) - cheaper to drive to Austria via Germany (no tolls and cheap fuel in Luxembourg) steady skiing also better apres, small cozy resorts. If you want loads of km of blues/ greens though you need to be in France.

Also look at Montafon area in western Austria - Schruns etc
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

We're looking for somewhere drive-able from the UK and not too expensive.

Almost everywhere is drivable to from the UK (obviously not Antarctica) but I assume you want to do the journey non stop. In which case you are limited to the Alpes and the Pyrenees. I have driven to the Dolomites, France, Switzerland and Austria for climbing, walking and skiing. Friends report that the drive to Andorra is not too difficult either

Finding somewhere with free green runs might be much more difficult however. Many resorts have a couple of free lifts serving a gentle run, but I doubt if a ski school will base the first couple days on these lifts.

The first week of March will be school half term so expect the French resorts to be quite busy.

Most resorts have small shops so it is not a simple "stock up on the way" or eat out. I usually drive down to Les Arcs but cannot be bothered to bulk buy in Bourg st Maurice on the way buying everything I need as I want it from the local shop.

What do you want from the Apres Ski, if it simply a bar with live music for a few drinks and return to the apartment around 2:00 then France will be fine. Austria has more raucous apre and Italy - well I saw someone else in a bar - once.

As to the choice of resort why not simply buy a copy of Where to Ski and Snowboard and carefully study it for hour after hour (I actually enjoy the "where to go" planning phase of any holiday). There is really no need to book anything until February
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow, quick replies already. Thanks to all.

Looking to drive it in a day French resorts seem to be most commonly recommended.

Free greens are not essential.

A few good pubs and some live music would be ideal.

The other date option was the first week of Feb which seems to be outside of British and French school holidays.

I'll read a bit further into the places suggested to far and have a think.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
trusz, don't go to France till after 7 March - school holidays. First week of Feb would also be fine.

The key thing, really, is good ski lessons - which are certainly available in Les Gets and Morzine (very easy drives) through BASS and others (small groups). Important to have lessons in resort, if you want to make decent progress (though beforehand is also good).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some suitable free runs in the village at L2A. Some very good ski schools too.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've driven several times in recent years. Flaine was pretty easy, and you drive through other resorts to get there (Le Carroz I think). Morzine is also easy, and again you drive through Les Gets to get there.

Driving in France is more expensive than Germany/Austria, but the road are, IMHO, considerably better. This summer we drove through Belgium/Luxembourg/Germany/Austria to get to the Dolomites, and the roads in Germany were surprisingly bad.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
LittleRob, the roads are only worked on during the summer months but are still kept as far as possible open for through traffic. In winter the roadworks are largely halted because of the winter temperatures. They are also more heavily used than the French Autoroutes.
The motorways in France are good because they are privately owned, but not all of them are in a good state of repair. We also had a real problem in the last couple of heat-waves with road surfaces lifting (causing several fatal accidents for motor bike riders), so compulsory 80km/h speed limits were introduced. All in all, I find the roads in Germany and Austria not only better (especially the normal roads), but also better policed and consequently the standard of driving is better.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Gets, Morzine, Avoriaz, are good shouts. Les Gets has some good beginner slopes and I would suggest it is slightly better for newbies than Morzine.

I know people will always tell you to avoid France school holidays. I am often stuck with these dates and still love it. Slopes are never that crazy busy but then I also ski at New Year so I am used to peak season.

Listen to Pam. GET LESSONS. You will enjoy the trip so much more and it will set you up for good skiing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@trusz, +1 for Damuls. It's not much further than say Morzine anD Austria is generally cheaper than France. Has a good ski school and enough terrain to last a week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We've decided to look for somewhere in Morzine since it seems a popular recommendation and one friend who's coming has been there DH mountain biking in the summer and said it's a really nice place.

Can anyone recommend any self catered apartments to sleep 4 with easy access to lifts? Is £400pp a reasonable budget?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@trusz, I have only passed through Morzine in summer (OH has been in winter) but think there are probably better options for a group of adult beginners, particularly if you want to have a good choice of self catering apartments. The accommodation in Morzine appears to be mainly hotels and chalets and I've thought it would be worth keeping Morzine as somewhere to go when you have a couple more years of skiing under your belt and can make the most of the Portes du Soleil area.

I'd recommend driving a bit further to Montgenevre which has excellent beginner runs and an excellent ski school (Apeak). There are also self catering options for all budgets.

Val Cenis is good value all round and has good beginner slopes but not that much nightlife.

Of the places that are quicker to drive to, I'd suggest Les Saisies or Les Carroz/Morillon.

We've booked several self catering ski holidays through Peak Retreats who I'd recommend if you are looking for a self drive package.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy