Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pack size for a day on the piste

Poster: A snowHead
flangesax wrote:
well.... my off piste bag is a different monster...

Shovel, probe, beeper (unless i'm wearing it), clear glasses, high uv glasses, orange goggles, polarised goggles, snacks and small chicken, socks, dinner jacket and dress shirt with extra cuff-links,
fold-up bed, duvet and sheets, blow-up doll for company, dress and underwear (just in case I have the urge to cross-dress) and an extra thimble for the monopoly set... (i'm always loosing that one)

Is it a cooked chicken or a pet? If a pet, does it have a name and do you take food and water for it just in case it feels peckish?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

If I was also off piste I'd need a shovel tracker and probe.

Err, you should put your transceiver on in the morning (switched on) and take it off at the end of the day. It's not much use in your pack, especially if it's turned off!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Book

With dodgy knees these days it's a reasonable chance that I need to sometimes stop at 1130 or at 3.30 whilst the others carry on. Always. Ice to sit out on a terrace with a beer / wine etc and enjoy the peace .

Also with a daughter, historically I could have done with a pull-along suitcase !
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A nice Snowhead moment; somebody asks for recommendations for a pack to carry certain items and most of the responses are taking issue with the basic premise. I agree with Scarpa - why should people criticise what other people choose to carry? If I was hurt, out on a mountain, waiting for rescue I'd be jolly pleased if one of my companions could help me with some extra layers, chocolate, a good book, a light sleeping bag and a Beaufort sandwich.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
srsly? How slow are the pisteurs in Les Saisies?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I only take a pack on piste if very bad weather (extra dry clothes) or taking big SLR camera out for taking photos. Otherwise I always find it more convenient to use pockets. My ski gear has lots of pockets, for this reason. Everything from water bottle, hip flask and spare thermal layer can go in pockets for a day on piste. If I get too hot, shell jacket comes off and is tied round my waist.

None of this works when floundering around off piste.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I generally ski with a pack because if I'm with mates I carry off-piste kit and if I'm with the kids I carry a camelback bladder thing, spare gloves, spare goggles, bag of sweets, camera, pack of cards and sometimes one or two thin fleeces that they have taken off. I could manage without but a child with wet gloves or who is suddenly desperate for a drink can make your day much less enjoyable Very Happy I could stuff a lot of this stuff in pockets but I'd end up rather Michelin man and actually prefer carrying a slim, minimalist rucsac that I don't have to remove for chairlifts. My current one doubles as my lift-served off-piste pack and is about 16l.

I also have a 30-40l pack for ski touring.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On a similar line - can anyone tell me if the ABS all in one bags (not the ones with zip on attachments) are measured in terms of total volume (part of which will be taken up by ABS unit) or the free volume for other stuff? I dare say it's total, but they don't seem to specifically state it.

I'm looking at the Ortovox Freerider 26 or Base 20, but as usual am not likely to be able to see either before I buy!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My previous pack was a ortovox freerider 18l and for day hikes with avi gear I found it too small and not that comfortable on hikes with my board attached. I now use a evoc pro backpack 20L and I find those extra 2l make all the difference. Personally I carry a hydration bladder, shovel, probe, first aid kit and various food depending what I'm doing, and it has enough room to stuff my midlayer in if I'm too warm. Without the avi gear in and the straps pulled tight it's really slim and I like the fact it has a built in back protector.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I need something that will take shovel, probe, mid-layer, hydration bladder, spare gloves, spare goggles, and one or two other smaller bits and bobs. I like the idea of having the back protector there too. If the 20l has 20 usable litres capacity, that will be perfect, but if the ABS unit takes up 5l+, I'm not confident it'll be big enough.

I'd like to stay as small as possible, it's really only for day tripping, mainly lift accessed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
w@francium., thats what i love about the freeride packs - the back protector
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

It doesn't half cheer you up when you are in a bubble on your own drinking piping hot coffee and chomping on half a snickers

Try Drambuie and Bounty bars...........heaven Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thumbs up from me for the BCA Stash 16L pack. Small enough not to be a bother on a chairlift but big enough to take a mid layer, change of gloves, goggles, sandwich and small (plastic) bottle of wine. Plus it has the built in water bladder (replaced that once) and, if you do decide to venture off piste, adequate straps for skis for an hours hike. I would buy it again if I had to and wasn't considering an ABS pack. You can also just fit in a laptop on the journey though an iPad is less of a strain. It's been very rugged and the shovel and avi probe both fit inside, though some snowheads have commented that the bca probe is fiddly to assemble in another thread.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I find the 18lt Vario ABS pack easily fitting in a flask and food along with a duvet top, camera and avi gear without having to take it off for lifts. If you want to have a nice lunch stop away from people then a small pack is damn useful. @mozwold, A hip flask with sloe gin works wonders too Wink

All I need now is someone to go with Sad

snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarpa, id go with you but alas i cant this year. plus ill need to get a bit more off piste in to keep up with you first i imagine Happy
latest report
Well I use a 40l bag it is rarely very full but it is a good size for a cabin bag on the flight over and comfortable to ski with.
I like a bit of room for a shovel spare fleece and something that I can strap the skis onto if having to boot up something, in the spring having a picnic in the bag is pleasant as well.
ski holidays
@T Bar, 40l, thats practicaly a child carrier lol, how big is your makeup bag that you need to carry such a mamouth sack Toofy Grin Now if you said your filling it with alcohol thats a different matter entirely Very Happy
ski holidays
I use mine for a cabin bag, helmet at the bottom filled with stuff, and the mesh helmet holder clipped to the outside with books, food, hat etc in it, a good way to get more stuff through the size restrictions Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy