Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pack size for a day on the piste

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All.

As an example.

If I was to be on the birthday bash and going away for the whole day. I'd need room for water, a snack (bars an crisps etc) and space for a fleece to take off. If I was also off piste I'd need a shovel tracker and probe.

I'd want room for spare goggles.

How big a pack do i need for this. 16l, 18l 22l 24l?

I don't want something baggy with the stuff flapping around but don't want something too tight. I'm thinking of an ortovox cross rider 22 or free rider 18 or haglofs 20L

What would you recommend.

cheers
bob
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
18/22L should fit the bill nicely! More so if it has side compression straps so if the bag is less than full it won't flap and all the stuff sink to the bottom........
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dakine Heli Pro 20,simply the best.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Day on the piste... pockets.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bca stash, is the smallest sac I've found that will take all the stuff for off piste.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr S has a Dakine Heli Pro 11L and I have a Haglofs Snow Passion 14L. Both are large enough to carry what you've listed, and as they are designed specifically for off piste, they both have places to hold each gear item (either inside the pack or secured to the outside) and have straps to attach skis. They are very low volume so you don't need to remove them on chairlifts.

If you pack them efficiently, you can fit a surprising amount in such as small bag - both have been used as hand luggage and will hold a ski helmet if you think about the orientation. The 14L was taken on a connecting flight where I wasn't convinced the main hold luggage would arrive, so it contained a helmet and a full set of gear (insulated ski trousers, ski socks, thermal top and leggings, fleece, goggles, sunglasses) and my lunch for the journey (I was wearing the jacket Cool ). I think pretty much the same went into the 11L, minus the helmet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
flangesax wrote:
Day on the piste... pockets.

This. Otherwise regular helipack ( not the pro) is the smallest ski holder equipped pack I've come across. About 11l is all you need and much easier if you can just wear it on chairs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
glasgowcyclops, Do you really need a rucksack when you are on piste? In an informal survey I did last year and the year before while sitting in chairlifts etc. I calculated that only about 10% of on-piste skiers carried rucksacks (and. It's if them seemed to be Brits). I wore one for a few days many years back and loved the feeling of freedom when I finally ditched it .
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Come on, 11L?
How are people going to think you're a hard-core backcountry dude with only 11L...........................
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For day use I'd advise nothing above 18 lt. You can fit a hell of a lot into one of those, I cram avi kit, food, duvet, spare gloves, spare goggles etc and still have room to spare. The smaller the pack the easier it is on chairs, I never have to take mine off.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
glasgowcyclops, Do you really need a rucksack when you are on piste? In an informal survey I did last year and the year before while sitting in chairlifts etc. I calculated that only about 10% of on-piste skiers carried rucksacks (and. It's if them seemed to be Brits). I wore one for a few days many years back and loved the feeling of freedom when I finally ditched it .

Last year I stuffed lot in my pockets (2 on the side an one large one). Different Jacket now. I do intend to also use it on the odd day in the future but didn't want to confuse the matter.

I might go minimalist
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarpa, This!!

I also have a 24L for longer days - both are Ortovox Freeriders and love them!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PaulC1984, Cool, I have a 25lt pack that fits my ABS vario avi bag, I keep it for those big days but haven't actually needed it yet lol
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KenX, maybe it's inversely proportional to the size of your backpack? wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jbob wrote:
Bca stash, is the smallest sac I've found that will take all the stuff for off piste.

This. Got one, just got another for Mrs MP. Pack stays nice and flat, but will take shovel, probe, midlayer and spare goggles and a snack easily, plus very well designed for carrying skis if you have a trek to the lift in the morning. I now end up taking mine on most days even for piste, because it is comfortable and you don't notice it is there. Build quality very good too.
snow conditions
Scarpa, I will one day get ABS, but given this is the first year ill be properly venturing off piste, I thought id borrow one this season and make sure its for me first Happy Sadly the Freerider 24 isnt abs compatible - i should have prehaps thought of that before id bought it, but it was this seasons at half price!!
ski holidays
Mistress Panda, A light pack is not much of an issue really, I prefer to take anything I may need during the day, plus a warm top in case I stay out late drinking.
ski holidays
PaulC1984, An avi bag is a minor thing... staying out of slides in the first place is much more important.
ski holidays
remember it has to take a fleece as well
snow conditions
Scarpa, True indeed!
latest report
well.... my off piste bag is a different monster...

Shovel, probe, beeper (unless i'm wearing it), clear glasses, high uv glasses, orange goggles, polarised goggles, snacks and small chicken, socks, dinner jacket and dress shirt with extra cuff-links,
fold-up bed, duvet and sheets, blow-up doll for company, dress and underwear (just in case I have the urge to cross-dress) and an extra thimble for the monopoly set... (i'm always loosing that one)
latest report
flangesax, Laughing
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:

Last year as part of a midlife crisis I started drinking coffee........ Wow. Very Happy

When we went skiing I took my small rucksack with a 1litre flask in it.

It doesn't half cheer you up when you are in a bubble on your own drinking piping hot coffee and chomping on half a snickers Cool
ski holidays
flangesax, Austrian adventures indeed Happy
ski holidays
kiteman69, why would you need cheering up if you're skiing?

Why would you take a pack when you're only on piste??

I had a cracking Osprey 20l (I think) that I bought for carrying my work clothes in when I worked in a city and used to run home. It folded and strapped very small if not containing much and didn't move around. But it also served very well for touring as the zip arrangement made for very easy access de-re-layering and would have been dead easy to get at avvy gear. I lost it somewhere...or someone borrowed it...

Now have a DaKine Heli Pro which is probably bigger than I need most of the time but works very well. They've changed the design since I got mine (2006?)
snow report
Quote:

glasgowcyclops, Do you really need a rucksack when you are on piste? In an informal survey I did last year and the year before while sitting in chairlifts etc. I calculated that only about 10% of on-piste skiers carried rucksacks (and. It's if them seemed to be Brits)

Easy to spot the british on the piste - rucksack and helmet
ski holidays
None, or very small, it's a day on the piste?........that's about 2 days a year.

Light off piste 18-22, carrying stuff just in case

Real off piste 28-40, going up as well as down, and or somwhere serious.
snow report
johnE wrote:
Quote:

glasgowcyclops, Do you really need a rucksack when you are on piste? In an informal survey I did last year and the year before while sitting in chairlifts etc. I calculated that only about 10% of on-piste skiers carried rucksacks (and. It's if them seemed to be Brits)

Easy to spot the british on the piste - rucksack and helmet

No complaint for off piste skiers but people really do carry unnecessary shite for piste skiing. Wear the layers you are going to need and if its too cold either move around faster or go inside for a bit. Carry a bit of duct tape in your pocket to fix goggles and split gloves. Fill an old lipsalve tube with sunblock each day. A buff with do as a hankie, neck gaiter, facemask, emergency hat, tourniquet, phone polisher.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
kiteman69, why would you need cheering up if you're skiing?)

When the wind is that cold you have icicles dangling from your nose Skullie Skullie

On a serious note the pack I use also has a bladder in it.

You need to take into account rehydrating yourself on the slope.

If you aren't thirsty............ Then you aren't pushing hard enough
snow conditions
Why do people care if someone somewhere on the mountain may be carrying unnecessary crap with them Puzzled Unless they're making you carry it, who cares?

I always have a pack with snacks and drinks, sunblock, layers as appropriate and avi gear as appropriate and goggles and gloves. Still to use my new BCA pack in anger but I don't think there'll be any bother fitting it all in.

Ms P.
latest report
No if people in your group X Amount of crap they are carrying ^ 3 = Faff factor

Just simple maths innit
snow report
Quote:

If you aren't thirsty............ Then you aren't pushing hard enough

are you going to the Birthday Bash, kiteman69? If so, remind me to go with another group which stops for delicious Italian coffee in a nice warm caff. And then a delicious Italian lunch, without leaving enough time to get hungry enough to resort to squirrel poo-poo biscuits.
snow conditions
Personally I'd never ride with a pack at a resort, I don't need the OP's spare fleece, all I need is Sunscreen and sounds, both of which can go in my pockets. Every resort I visit has cafes where hydration is available, although I'd actually look at the evidence as water is overhyped. You could easily carry a small running water bottle in a pocket, if you really need to drink between Lattes.

I'm not sure if it's Brits who are characterised by carrying too much junk - I think it's just "boy scout" type people. Nope, I don't care what other people carry, but it is hard for me to advise them well. I sometimes visit resorts by public transport... in which case a day bag is too small to carry boots in, but you can fasten them to the board, then leave the bag in a locker at the resort. Some North American resorts have informal "bag trees" (perhaps a mecca for boy scout types), although those are obviously insecure.

For the OP's requirements a DaKine Heli (the standard one) would do fine plus they're equipped for ski/ board carry and come with shovel/probe pocket etc. They're thin enough to wear in helis. Duh. They're also fine on chair lifts, although the lifties may still make you take them off. These packs ride well - you'll forget you're wearing them. Which may defeat the object for the dedicated boy scout.

I'd consider dumping the fleece for a micro down sweater: lighter and smaller when packed for the same warmth.
snow report
Mistress Panda, not great for ski position either...

kiteman69, i only tend to take my bladder for touring. I think there are enough eateries and drinkeries close enough when on piste.
snow conditions
If I'm on the piste with the family for the day I need about 36L minimum!

Same on walks too. rolling eyes
snow conditions
But if you eating and drinking......... You are not skiing.

As the OP sounds like he is going for just one day why would he waste any of it queuing up for an overpriced coffee.

I'd rather have 9 hours on the slopes.......... I can always have a nice coffee from my Tasimo........ I bet George looney carries a hydration sack Razz Razz Razz
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

Now have a DaKine Heli Pro which is probably bigger than I need most of the time but works very well. They've changed the design since I got mine (2006?)

+1 for the Heli Pro, it's a cracker Smile
snow report
philwig wrote:
You could easily carry a small running water bottle in a pocket, if you really need to drink between Lattes.

Or a bottle in a waist belt so that you don't feel it moving around.
ski holidays
I use a 24Ltr Osprey, could get away with smaller. Layering up or down is good practise in my book and my rucky allows for that. The above ' I wouldn't wear a rucksack for xyz reason inc. looking Brit' need to get the over themselves!

"I'm melting here in the midday sun, but at least I'm looking local" wink

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 26-10-14 20:41; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Double post.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy