Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New fitting needed for Salomon 110 boots? Advice please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am currently using a ~5-yr old pair of Salomon 110s.

I really like the boots, the flexibility just matches my current combination of experience and age. The liners are not thermo-fitted on this model.

However, my bunion (old climbing injury not properly fixed) is causing increasing problems.

I know that it is possible to pop the shell out a little to add more space but this seems to be overkill if I can 'simply' buy replacement liners and fit them.

I note that Snow and Rock are selling Intuition liners this season but they are pricey. Half a new pair of boots.

Questions - please:

1. How much hassle is it to re-fit a pair of boots and widen the shell, then buy a new pair of standard Salomon liners.
compared to...
2. Finding and fitting a pair of replacement liners?
3. Anybody offer a range of liners in the North of England / Southern Scotland? S&R only stock one type that seem to be designed to add stiffness.

Many thanks in advance

BillS
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I also have a significant bunion.
Most standard OME liners are crap.
Liners will only last 150 or so days before they pack out and need replacing.
Punching out the shell will give great relief to a bunion.
Intuition liners are great and worth the money.
Lockwoods in Lemington stock zip fit liners not sure about intuition ones.
Ill fitting boots can ruin a holiday.

Welcome to snowheads.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 25-10-14 14:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BillS,

Excellent - a well formed and sensible boot fitting question snowHead

a. I can't imagine any reason why it's not more or less trivial for a good local (and proper) fitter to blow out the area of your boot to accommodate your bunion. A good fitter will also deal with any collateral work that's needed (if any) to do this all correctly. I don't think that a new liner will make enough difference.

b. Why, then, need a new liner if this has been done.

Check out http://www.skibootpro.co.uk/ - there's a shop in Kendal apparently. You will I think need to leave the shells in overnight.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The only issue with blowing out a 5 year old pair is that the shell may have stiffened over the years and be less able to be stretched. I guess someone like CEM or other suitably knowledgeable peeps will be along with some proper advice.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ansta1, you mean my advice ain't "proper" like?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:
ansta1, you mean my advice ain't "proper" like?

Absolutely not, your advice is proper and good, I was referring to my advice not perhaps being proper regarding the degradation of the plastic shell limiting the amount it can be blown given the age.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ansta1, wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shouldn't be n issue with a 5 year old shell...0 years + then it may be an issue but all depends on storage of the boot over that time and the plastic it is in the first place
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks all for your help.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello all, to round this up, the LD Mountain Centre in Newcastle upon Tyne did a great job.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy