Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel 1850, is it as expensive as we think?

Poster: A snowHead
mheadbee wrote:
Quote:

user

I think I'd go somewhere else if I were you!

That is the whole purpose of this thread...to ask the question and gain some feedback from those have been recently.

I think this one may have whooshed right over you end, but thanks for your input anyway.

If you'd read my earlier post you'd see that you can indeed get a decent snack in 1850 for €15 (I know because I was there last year).

However, if you want to a "have a nice long lunch" for four in 1850 then be prepared to pay for it. I'd hazard a guess that you won't get much change out of €100-125 including drinks. Only you know how wealthy your friends are but if they are going to find this expensive (on top of the accommodation, ski passes, clothing, equipment hire, lessons, afternoon entertainment, etc) then there are loads of places that would be better suited to them. In other words one that is a little less exclusive where they won't have to scour the village to find somewhere they can afford to eat.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PeteMan, if by a nice long lunch you mean 3 courses plus a couple of beers or glasses of wine and a coffee, then no you won't get much out of €125 for four, if at all.

But I doubt you would get much change your out of that anywhere you, be it in a ski resort or at some country pub in the uk.

Yes courchevel can be hideously expensive to eat, and you can go to the other places for expensive shopping and hire but it doesn't have to.

Am I biased, possibly, having been to the 3vs quite a bit, most of it in 1850.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I expect lunch would consist of a pizza, an omelet, a salad or soup most days and probably a beer or two. Not 3 hour lunches as we are in a catered chalet. In Tignes last year up the mountain we paid 15 euro each for a soft drink and a truly awful hot dog (the ones they stuff the sausage into the hole in the french bread, the sausage was only half the length of the bread and when I got half way I was met with a sea of mustard). In the town I thought he food was fairly reasonable, 10-15 euro per head for the four of us for 1 course plus a beer.

I think I have read enough so thanks for the input. Seems like the run of the mill restaurants will be OK but the nicer ones will cost an arm and a leg but if we want to grab something we still can.

Thank you for the responses.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you do decide to go, I can thoroughly recommend the Tartiflette "La Taiga" - La Tania if you fancy a ride out in the bus for lunch!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PeteMan, Why not just ski down, it's a nice tree-line run down to La Tania. 20 minutes from 1850
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lechjohn wrote:
@PeteMan, Why not just ski down, it's a nice tree-line run down to La Tania. 20 minutes from 1850

Absolutely, it's a lovely run for beginners down to La Tania if the OP's friends are up for it.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most French resorts are very similar in price. You will find they won't let you in the really expensive places unless you are Russian Smile

1850 is a great place to learn.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This Courchevel menu shot was on the skipedia Facebook page back in January.

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@albinomountainbadger, in (slight) fairness, truffles are expensive everywhere.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the other hand, menus in French and Russian are a little uncommon!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pedantica, they're common in Courchevel according to friends there, though perhaps more so during the three week Russian holiday period.

Reports last year of the pistes being dead outside of that period too, with hotels closing early etc. Be interesting this season given the collapse of Russian middle-class tourism that we've witnessed in the south of France (and reportedly even in Finland!).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
albinomountainbadger wrote:
Pedantica, they're common in Courchevel according to friends there, though perhaps more so during the three week Russian holiday period.

Off the top of your head do you know when that is?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@kiteman69, roughly speaking, they take our Christmas and new year to the end of their one mid Jan (maybe add on a week or two extra at the end for good measure).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ansta1, yes agreed and those easy greens are accessed by gondola which for learners will be much easier to handle than a chair or drag
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For absolute beginners the greens above Courchevel 1850 are great. As above, variety accessed by gondola. If you look at my TR for La Tania from jan 2014 there's lots of info about them. Even with slow progress by the end of the week Bouc Blanc above La Tania (a short blue only to the restaurant, then an easy green or blue to get to the chairlift back to the ridge, then easy green/blue back to 1850) is easily accessible. Easier to regain 1850 by skiing down to the Bouc Blanc chair than Dou des Lanches on the way back, significant poling is needed unless you are travelling at decent rate. 1650 (easy blues) and 1550, Le Praz (by gondola) and La Tania (green, but more tricky or moderate blue) are all places beginners could be having lunch. All on the local area pass and give a decent sense of travelling round the mountains. It's a very good resort to learn at if you sort good instruction.
snow report
@albinomountainbadger, mmm..looks good to me........hungry.....see if I find a few roubles down the back of the sofa.
latest report
@kiteman69, roughly speaking, they take our Christmas and new year to the end of their one mid Jan (maybe add on a week or two extra at the end for good measure).

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
latest report
We've had reasonable meals at Bouc Blanc, Courchneige and Bel Air. We had some great vouchers for La Folie Douce lunch last year too for about 10 or 15 Euros. We also went to an English pub down in either 1650 or 1550 and had a great fry up. I'll try and remember the name, there was a very jolly Welsh lady cooking
snow conditions
Pedantica wrote:
On the other hand, menus in French and Russian are a little uncommon!

I've seen them in EK and not in silly-money restaurants. Well, not silly by EK standards.
snow report
@albinomountainbadger, you can tell there will be no Brits at that place, as nothing in English. I doubt there would be many French there either. 3v might be a bit quieter this New Year with fewer Russians about
ski holidays
Lunching on a budget in and around 1850 isn't hard at all, having been for the last 3 seasons trying to spend as little as possible you can manage a simple lunch (baguette, drink and maybe a cake) for under 10 euro per person, maybe 12/15 for hot food. Sandwich shop in shopping centre in 1850 is great for a bargain baguette, ski down to La Tania and try Pub Le Ski for the same and also hot food as a reasonable price. Alternatively get over to 1650 and there's a great patisserie/boulangerie right next to the second elevator down from the foot of the slopes. If you fancy treating yourself I'd definitely recommend Courcheneige, this past January I believe it was about 25 euro for soup, croque monsieur with chips and a large beer so actually not too bad! Alternatively get yourself to the Spar, make some simple sandwiches and take them up with you - more time to ski then Smile
snow report
We used to lunch for years in the Self-Service at the top of the Chenus lift - was great value. Disapppointed to return there last year to find had been turned into waiter service, reduced menu, and prices to match, and 'We don't serve tap water - is a regulation in Courchevel to save water' - yeah, of course...
Still looking for a self-service nearer than le Menuires...
snow conditions
This Courchevel menu shot was on the skipedia Facebook page back in January.

I saw a restaurant (maybe this very one) near all the designer shops which had a caviar pizza on the menu!! Must be vile.
snow conditions
Little Martin wrote:
we stop for a drink and lunch at the http://www.courcheneige.com/ doesn't quite break the bank from what I recall, lovely deck area with fire pit to sit outside if sunny.

Agree. Courcheneige is one of our group's favourite. For lunch, they have a special buffet set menu for about 15 euro. Plenty of cold meat, smoked salmon, prawn, lots of different salads etc.... You can even get oysters on some days. There are usually 2 hot "soupe du jour" to choose from as part of the buffet set menu as well. And the best part of it? You can eat as much as you can!
Tip: do book your table if you're more than 4 to have lunch there. The terrace is huge over looking Jardin Alpin. But it gets really packed on a sunny day!
And the service is always friendly too Laughing even if you only have tap water with your meal. Just try to speak to them in French wink But again, all their waiters speak correct English.

I know you're asking about 1850. In case you manage to go as far as St Martin de Belleville (between Meribel and Les Menuires) There is the very nice and decently priced restaurant La Loy.
Never disappointed with the food which comes in huge portions. They also make yummy desserts
see reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g669639-d5951663-r58316515-La_Loy-Saint_Martin_de_Belleville_Savoie_Rhone_Alpes.html

Both restaurants are 100% ski-in ski-out too!

Hope you and your friends will enjoy the trip. Be aware that some lower market looking self service buffet restaurants might not always be the cheapest choice!
snow conditions
There are loads of comparatively reasonably priced places to eat in Courchevel and 3V

L'Arc en Ciel in 1650 just ski down and follow the gap in the buildings (they used to be under the Saulire Cable car). Great pizza and regional dishes.

Not been recently but Roc Tania used to be good, top of Col d'Loze

Oeil de Boeuf in 1550 is great for chalet night off, they cook the meat over an open fire, small place so need to book, not recommended for veggies or people who aren't meat lovers.

Never eaten there but Courchniege is great for hot chocolate. Might try that one day this year based upon the recommendations. Bel Air does great vin chaud, food is good also.

Further afield if you can, try to ski down to St Martin - a great trip- La Voulte is a good and reasonable lunch spot with stunning views of a Savoie church.

Chalet Marine in VT is good (below top of Cascades chair), they have an expensive table service operation if you are feeling flush, but there is also a self service restaurant below which is really good and inexpensive.

You can even go for Michelin star cuisine at Le Farcon in La Tania, the fixed price menu is great value, though probably not one for this trip!

Avoid all the restaurants near the Altiport and Croisette in the main, if you are concerned about cost.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy