Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oh no, it's another pesky ski recommendation thread.

Poster: A snowHead
Afternoon all,
I had such a great response to my gloves question last week that I thought I'd chance my arm by asking for some further input. This time, it's skis (makes a change, eh?)

My first, and current, skis are a pair of Rossignol Alias Carbon 74 in a 176cm (http://snowpursuits.co.uk/rossignol-alias-carbon-74-the-best-skis-of-2012 and http://www.ski-review.com/ski_reviews/review/rossignol_alias_carbon_2011), which I bought after renting a pair when learning to ski whilst working in France about four years ago. They’ve been brilliant, but I think I’ve outgrown them and need something a bit wider underfoot and faster.

SpyderJon kicked off my shortlist by suggesting the Blizzard Brahma and Dynastar Cham 87 Fluid X. After a bit of research, this list now also includes:

Elan Amphibio 88XTI (and possibly the 82)
[b]Scott Black Majic

Head Rev 90
Line Supernatural 92

I haven't tried any of these skis as yet. Realistically, I’m not going to be doing that much off-piste, although I never say never. It’s more a case of getting something that’s better equipped for those all too rare fresh snow days and which will get through the spring slush too. A piste-centric one ski quiver that will last for another four or maybe five years. Because I'm a hefty sort, I'm thinking - as is Jon - that 88 or thereabouts would be a wise move.

We usually ski the Grand Massif, with occasional forays to the Ski Amade in Austria, and it was the awful, ‘mud poking through boilerplate ice with a smattering of castor sugar snow followed by a minor dump of fresh’ conditions that we experienced in the latter last January that started to make me think I needed to look at getting something that’s a bit more of an all-rounder than the trusty Aliases (as I slid down a muddy, icy red on my face).

My immediate intention is to try as many of the potential choices out this coming January, when we head back to Flaine, and to then narrow it down as much as possible for a second round of hiring in mid-March (location tba) before taking the plunge. I’ll be taking the trusty Alias Carbons with me as a fallback.

According to the Inside Out guide (http://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html) I’m a solid level seven, heading into eight. Talking of solid, I’m about 6’2” and around 110kgs. I think burly, rather than out and out lardy, would be a good description! I’ll be 48 in a couple of months, but am reasonably strong and healthy, with the exception of a slightly dodgy knee that can sometimes fold without warning, which can be fun.

I have two questions, if I may:

- have I missed any obvious candidates off my list
- does anybody have any recommendations for hire shops in the Grand Massif which may stock some of the above? I think the Brahmas, Black Majics and Amphibios may top the list but I suspect that the rental shops in the GM may be stocked with anything but these.

Thanks in advance,

Martin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Recommendation? Get the knee fixed before adding increased stresses with wider skis and higher speeds Confused
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's not a major issue, to be fair. I've always had it and I work around it: a Mueller HG80 brace has helped (a lot), I pick my turns quite carefully and try to keep well clear of others just in case. Hence me fancying trying a few difference types of skis on familiar ground to see if there's a natural sweet spot. Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
twodogs, In which case I'd add the Movement Jam to the list . . . and then to the top.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
twodogs, at a Level 7+ on the IOS scale and not going to be doing much off-piste with the exception of those all too rare fresh days I think a piste-focused ski, perhaps with a bit of extra width, would be a better option than your shortlisted skis. I only know the Rev90 on your list, and I think given what you've said the Head Titan, which is a piste performance ski but 80mm underfoot, would be better than the Rev90 for developing your skills base. At your size the Titan in a 177cm would be a good option. On those rare days when there is deep snow to play with you have the option to rent something which is wider, say 100mm+, to help you develop your off-piste experience.

Edit: Should probably add that I have a commercial partnership with Head so any ski recommendation should be seen in that light.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 24-10-14 19:31; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
+1 for Robs suggestion. Buy for what you do 90% of the time and rent for the rest.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarpa, I've never noticed you skiing with an inflated airbag Puzzled wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, as always, peers. Smile

Masque, I've added the Jam to my list even though the colour's likely to play havoc with my carefully coordinated palette.

Rob, that's a fine suggestion. Thank you. The Titan's also now on the long short list. I'm looking for an incremental change, albeit one that will do me for a few years, and by taking the old faithfuls with me, I'm hoping to be able to make some swift and easy comparisons. On my first trip to Austria a few years ago I rented some Heads - no idea what model - and found them to be spot on.

Above all, it's about enjoyment and, whilst I'm curious to see if I get on with wider/stronger underfoot, I completely agree that something that will work for 90% of the time is better than something that 50% works for 100% of the time.

I'm looking forward to trying a few different skis. I'm quite interested to see how a metal reinforced ski behaves compared to the carbon Alias that I'm used to. And, in all honesty, whether I'll be able to tell the difference at all.

I may even try different skis on each leg to speed up the comparison process. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I switched from piste skis (Head Xenon10) to slightly wider Fischer Watea 88 and found them much better on and off piste. Great for places like Flaine where there's lots of opportunities to ski between pistes, The Wateas have been replaced this season with the Ranger 88 - well worth trying if you get the chance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
twodogs, I bought a pair on the strength of just a couple of hours test . . . they were trashed in transit Evil or Very Mad . . . and I couldn't replace them for a decent price over here and ended up with a pair of Mantras inc. NTN bindings for much less cost. I'd put the Mantras as a notch or two down from the utter joy of riding the Jams but are still a wonderful stable and strong ski in all conditions. On a thought . . . they both like to be driven not ridden.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Titan will blow away all the other skis on your list on 90% of piste skiing days. It has a real-deal world cup sandwich construction which gives it excellent axial stiffiness and it will be faster edge-edge. Off piste it obviously won't have as much float and could feel hooky, and in slush it won't be very forgiving. But in crud it will perform ok, just so long as you drive it through and don't back off.

The various all-mountain skis at around 90mm you mention will not have the same zing on a hard piste, but they will be more relaxing. And of course they will perform better in powder or slush. As the afternoon draws on you will be worn out on the Titans and that's the main drawback. To ski something like the Titan all day requires a good level of fitness.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sharkymark wrote:
Scarpa, I've never noticed you skiing with an inflated airbag Puzzled wink

Of course, my massive balls make that necessity totally redundant wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are not too far from either Manchester or Glasgow why not take advantage of the ski tests ?

see the links below.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=113117

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=113141
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Head Titan all the way!! I have Head ISL, Rossi worlcup SL, Head Titan and Preachers. Makes for a fun ski bag, but out on the Piste titans are great!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks again everybody! All recommendations added to the list and I'm really excited about getting stuck in. Sadly, I'm too far away from Manchester or Glasgow for the test days.

I think I'm more of a driver than a rider. We do tend to be fairly full-on most days but not necessarily flat out, so something that I can still control by mid afternoon is a must. More of a GT than a hot hatch or Lambo.

I recall the days when I was just about at the pizza and chips level, learning up in Isola 2000, and the rental place assumed that because I was pushing 40 I must be advanced. So, they gave me a set of zero flex rocket ships. I was fast. Very fast. Until it came to turning or slowing down. Confidence poo-poo, I soon returned them and only then learned of the shop's cock up, but was soon back in a set of flappy L plate skis. Now I have half a clue it'll be interesting to see how I get on both with varying width and stiffness. Assuming it snows, of course.
ski holidays
+1 for the Titans if that's your level of skiing. I'm not that fit but I have skied a lot and these area brilliant on piste ski for pushing hard, yet you can back off and they'll back off too.
ski holidays
Thanks Grazzenger. Sounds like the Titans are moving up the wishlist :0)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy