Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Champoluc or Courmayer

Poster: A snowHead
looking at one or the other for chrimbo, any advice as we havent been to either before??? thanks (family of four)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Courmayeur more "bling"

Champoluc more family friendly and likely better value for money. Also slightly more convenient for getting up hill. Courmayeur cable car and bubble not ideally situated.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Never been to Courmayeur, but definitely go back to Champoluc. As under a new name, says it's great, and great value.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
many thanks for that
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aosta/Pila?

I've never been but it looks good.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't do any info on Champaluc, I was in Courmayeur this year.

Not a great resort IMHO. As a ski area I found it quite small, I had all four corners mapped and all lifts (bar the top cable car which was closed) ridden on day one. I snowboard and like hacking through the trees so I don't mind lapping the same lifts but would have gotten bored of the area quite quickly if I hadn't done a couple of day trips to break it up. The town itself is quite bling, there's a Hermes shop, a Rolex shop, a Gucci shop etc, I found it quite hard to find a €30 present for herself, you could spend €500 easily or €2.99 in the one tacky souvenir shop by the bus station, but nothing in between that I could find. Not much in the way of pares, although there was one good bar, which did good nibbles at about 5ish.

Pubic transport is good and cheap, I did a day trip to Pila and La Thuile which were both covered on the Courmayeur lift pass. Can't really comment on the towns, but thoroughly enjoyed the hills. Both had better snow conditions than Courmayeur and seemed less busy. Pila was particularly quiet and between the runs was less tracked than you'd imagine considering how accessible it was and that it was three days since it snowed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Champoluc. Champoluc, Champoluc, Champoluc. Definitely Champoluc.

Spent a week in each of Courmayeur and Champoluc last year, back to back. Champoluc defo gets by vote!

But... if you have non-skiers and want a nice town to stay in, other things to do, Courmayeur. Champoluc by contrast: lots of small villages, fantastic cross-country area down the valley in Breuil (with snow making), better snow conditions (surrounded by glaciers which consistently create temperature inversions, or so we were told...).

But, of course, all this is my own personal prejudice. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A little pitch for Courmayeur.
It's got, world class cafés, great off piste incl access to the Valley Blanche, heli skiing, new lift to hellebronner, nice town, top class snow making, good weather, good Nordic skiing in the Val Veny, World class views. Lots of good day trips available, incl Pila, Chamonix and La Thule.
In ten seasons in Chamonix I've had some of my best days in Courmayeur!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another vote for courmayeur. I've had a long weekend and two week long trips. had great conditions. IN the first week of feb 2014 we had a week of falling snow. its was great. Pics here

Courmayeur 2014 by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

PS Maison Vieille for the bestest pizza. Plan Checrouit 2000 for the best hot chocolate
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for Courmayer. Only skied it for a day mid April this year and loved it. Food and views is a plus. Maison Vieille is cool, stayed there this August on my TMB trip and the owner is super cool dude, food was fab. Definetly worth a visit.
NB - it was my first IT skiing experience and it was limited as we stayed in Chamonix, but snow (and food, coffee, etc) were better on IT side of the MontBlanc
See a short experience from Courmayeur (most of time when it is sunny it was from IT side, some parts from Chamonix as well):

http://youtube.com/v/CLXJ-bQrB-w&feature=youtu.be
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Those that appear to have skied both recommend Champoluc...

Pretty telling to me.

Courmayeur skiing much smaller and not nearly as interesting. Unless you're touring or heli-ing (both of which Monterosa is also famed for).

Maison vieille may be good but we looked at the menu and were underwhelmed. Chiecco however is astonishingly fine. But then, so are Aroula and Frantze above Champoluc and in the village Le Sapin and the Essential are two of our favourite restaurants in the world. Even with SH recommendations we have yet to find anything comparable in Courmayeur village (Maison Filippo excepted, but it's not in Courmayeur).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
personally, I'd go to Fuoripista for pizza in Courmayeur, although it's on the Dolonne side so may not be handy in the evening
Haven't done Champlouc but have skied at Gressoney a couple of times. I'd quite happily go back to Courmayeur or Gressoney for the skiing; the latter would be better for piste bashers though IMO. For off piste, touring etc, you'll have a great time at both. For après, Courmayeur wins
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Courmayeur............Stay in Entreves, Auberge de la Maison............. really nice!
On the mountain eat at Vielle Maison, drink at the Aussi-bar, ski the Old Arp run, and remember the apres ski at Bar Roma.

Champoluc......... stay at Hostellerie de Mascognaz, ........ rather excellent!!!!!
On the mountain eat at Rascard Frantze, drink at the piste-side bar towards the bottom with the half-boar lodged in the chalet wall. Eat the half decent pizzeria opposite the ski depositories at the end of the day.

Don't do just one resort on your stay, but ski BOTH resorts in your jollies!! snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, for Italian apres?

Yeah, Champoluc is indeed quieter. But Courmayeur when we've stayed there is hardly party central.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skied both and Champolluc definitely gets the vote
Courmayeur piste area smaller and feels much smaller ..... Monte rosa pistes cover a lot more distance.
Off piste excellent in both - but more easily accessible in monte rose I think. But helbronner brings awesome opportunities if you are up for it .... And up to it ! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Not Champoluc please.. Otherwise it will spoil our quiet retreat
ski holidays
shshhshsh, yep forgot, shshshsh wink
snow report
Yet another vote or Champoluc - quieter pistes, bigger and more varied ski area, access to Gressoney, Alagna and the Indreen freride area, terrific off piste.
For non skiers definitely Courmayeur with very explorable town. Also, Helbronner, especially with the new lift, will improve skiing possiblities for those who dare.
latest report
Momentum ski are doing a three night break in Courmayer for a bargain£3500, Heston will cook your dinner.

Bargain.
snow conditions
@under a new name, it's all relative!
snow report
looks like Champoluc then.....well try not to make too much noise Toofy Grin thanks for all the posts
ski holidays
just had an email from Crystal telling us that the snow conditions in Champoluc are not good and they are doing thier best to resolve the situation...... Laughing snowdances prehaps?????
snow report
doing champoluc in january and february... can't find fault with it, the off piste areas are great, the run down to alagna never used to be pisted but is now a easy black leading into an easy red.... thats if you go down the piste !!
snow report
@iskar, slightly suprised, I thought they were doing OK and had a bit more snow. We were over weekend before last and had they had Frachey links open most of the system woukd have been.
snow report
I've skied both, Champoluc for skiing, maybe CMY for apres. The Tennis bar (down the road) is probably one of the most dangerous places in the world Laughing
ski holidays
On web cam it shows the run back down to mid station is closed, but someone had gone past the barrier though !! As you do
snow conditions
@AndAnotherThing.., the Tennis bar? What's that?
latest report
you can go s/c to champoluc on sunday for £295 with Crystal, guess that says something!!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, It's down in Pre Saint Didier, an innocuous looking place. The time to worry is about 11:30pm, when instead of leaving as you planed it suddenly seems a good idea to stay for a little longer. The table dancing helps....
snow report
There are poeple skiing down from champoluc this morning....not many by the looks of the web cam
latest report
@AndAnotherThing.., ah, so not in Champoluc then! I was worried that there was a "hot" spot we weren't aware of. Phew.

Most of Monterosa will be open as of today, not entirely sure what the problem is with the Crest-Frachey link. I thought the Belvedere chair had finally expired but it's forecast to run in one direction towards Crest as of today.
snow conditions
as long as it all open on the 19th January i'm ok Very Happy
snow conditions
as always - new resort results in a headache - I 'need' ski-in/out as I got used to it. Does Champoluc offer it? Planing a next year's family trip and looking for tips for accomocation
snow report
@mooney058, our apartment probbaly available http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1175786

Or Hotel de Champoluc gets well talked about
snow conditions
@under a new name, thanks, looks really interesting and is similar to what we usualy book. The school is still to announce 2015-2016 calendar in the next weeks, so as soon as I know the dates I will come back to you snowHead
ski holidays
Skied both-Champoluc every time.

Courmayeur is a lovely area which I have a real soft spot for- good for a long weekend or base for off piste and/or heli-ski. If you stay in Dolonne you can ski back down and possibly to your accommodation staying in Courmayeur proper you have to upload and download. Progression wise it's ideal for intermediates but difficult for absolute beginners who have the nursery slope up the hill but then no really easy blues.

IMO Monte Rosa has all the positives of Courmayeur and then some, bigger area more variety, sense of travel if you like to stick to the pistes, good restaurants on mountain and in resort.

No contest IMO.

@AndAnotherThing.., I know of the Tennis bar you speak of, it's a black hole of a place-the owner's a real character too!
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@mooney058, our apartment probbaly available http://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1175786

Or Hotel de Champoluc gets well talked about

can you share the address as well? Will try to navigate via google maps and locate the appartment within Champoluc
ski holidays
@mooney058, hah hah Champoluc address? It's too small to have addresses! Proper ones anyway. If you find the bar Lo Bistrot opposite the Crest bubble, the apartment block is next door to your right as you look out of the door of the bar. It is on streetview I think.
ski holidays
@under a new name, just learned of how to find/use streetview on an ipad Embarassed
snow report
@mooney058, i find that tricky.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy