Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go Pros etc - Is it Just Me?

Poster: A snowHead
jedster wrote:
I like footage following other skiers in good conditions on interesting terrain - you get a bit of the camera man and plenty of the action in front.
I agree that's when action cameras are at their best, either following the subject or pointing backwards and being followed by the subject. One point of caution though, when skiing off-piste in possible avalanche terrain two skiers dropping in at the same time and skiing close to each other puts more stress the snowpack, and is more likely to have two people caught in a slide rather than one. The notion of skiing individually between "islands of safety" and getting the best possible actioncam footage are mutually exclusive.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So yeah, those videos are good. Not all the music is to my taste, but it's good to hear new things, sometimes I find stuff I like. Otherwise the "volume control" is your friend.

So otherwise people feel obliged to watch stuff they don't like... in order to be able to bitch about it on here? In which case, everyone's happy, right?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

"volume control"

"mute button" Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
northernsoulboy wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:

I started adding videos to my Hokkaido posts for a number of reasons:

1. As a teaching tool primarily for my students. But I've referenced a couple of my vids in franzClammer's post.

I think watching yourself ski is the best way to see your mistakes. But that's not GoPro footage usually, I guess. I used a GoPro once, forgot to turn it off and mostly I got footage of myself on a chair, walking to the loo and then in the loo.

Sorry I should have written 'a couple of vids I've taken of other people skiing'.

Typically it's two angles:

1. Coming straight at me then panning the camera as the person passes me.

2. Me skiing alongside the person shooting video throughout.

For example this is one vid I posted on franzClammer's thread to show both foot pivoting and completion of turns.

http://youtube.com/v/vt50B5i4A9M
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I always resist the 'gopro' related threads and always fail.

If You are static and trying to record people doing stuff anything more than 20-30 metres away, gopro and other type devices are not ideal. This is usually due to their field of view being so wide that unless you get close it's difficult to see detail. This can be overcome to some extent particularly with the later models where you can shoot at a higher resolution 2.7/4k can then crop/zoom (yes I know it's not a real zoom) can help. For these situations as rob@rar says a cheaper camera with an optical is IMV almost always going to be a better option.

If you are tracking someone and want to avoid the shake or wobble then there are plenty of reasonably cheap 2 and 3 axis gimbals which work really well and provide some really good options to stabilise the image recorded.

As for general video stuff as has been said before the key is to work out what you want to get as an end product and use the tool to achieve that. If it's a few minute edit or an attempt at a file then Lots of different angles and points of view, try to tell a story to some extent. A good example is the general gopro promo videos (the ski ones are mostly recorded and edited by Abe Kislevitz)

There's nothing wrong with posting a 15 minute run down one red piste if thats what you wanted to capture but don't expect it to be anything more than a record of that particular run and unless there was something funny going on it's likely to be mostly boring for the majority of people who may come across it.

Despite having used, owned and hired out gopros for a few years I actually don't use them that much myself currently though I do have plans affoot to make a little ski film short over this season if funds/timings and other stuff allow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I like gopro vids of my friends in general - a one week holiday should generate no more than 15mins or so of footage & it's fun to watch back to remeber the key points.

I don't like the onna stick videos even if they are a close buddy though. Why not film each other rather than each filming yourself?? it's much easier and better footage!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not a fan of self filming either.

Far nicer to provide a client with a few clips showing their skills in nice terrain/weather

I don't own a stick to put a camera on, as I do not see what it can achieve that I cannot.

I usually mount a camera on my helmet as it gives the smoothest image. Keeping your head tracking a moving subject while maybe travelling on a different course with others around needs some practice initially.

Having the skill to ski very close to your subject irrespective of the direction that you skis are going in (forwards,backwards, sideways etc) can make good shots too.

Mounting cameras elsewhere is good a for a different view. On a ski is not something many people seem to have done. Forwards doesn't work for long before the camera lens gets snowbound, rearwards is amazing! Travelling at great speeds also presents problems regarding vibrations, but this can be overcome without too much difficulty.

Biggest pet hate though is seeing a shadow of the camera person in a shot.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One of my favourite is this one featuring our own clarky999:

Last Turns of the Season? from theADVENTURESofCLARKLEBERRYfinn
http://vimeo.com/95663922

My own little videos get about 30-60 plays a week. Up to about 5k over the last couple of years most of which has been in the last year. 1k of them came from one video! It's quite interesting how there's a very definite threshold where you've had enough views to get a sustained level of traffic. Mines tiny though.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, that ticks the boxes - liked that meh
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
meh, so what is that recorded with?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I didn't record it but from memory the guy has a gimbal on a pole with a modded GoPro sporting a different lens. Clarky can confirm.

My sweet link following unearthed this:
http://auffiundowi.wordpress.com/2014/06/22/the-final-rig/

This is his Vimeo account with more awesome GoPro footage:
https://vimeo.com/user24773453

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 24-10-14 17:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
meh wrote:
I didn't record it but from memory the guy has a gimbal on a pole with a modded GoPro sporting a different lens. Clarky can confirm.
That explains it. The 'follow-me' footage was amazing, and by no means typical of regular helmet-mounted GoPro, even when mounted on a skilful skier who makes a better than average job of following the subject.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colour grading is also important
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, if you want to try a gimbal for follow me stuff let me know rob.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ansta1, thanks, quite tempted.
snow conditions
The ones I have only work with gopro cams but sure I can let you have a play with hd3, hd3+ and hd4 (only top of range black editions though).
snow conditions
ansta1, at the moment I have a 3 Black. Just out of interest, how responsive are gimbals? Do they always stay centred, even if they are getting thrown around quite a lot while skiing? I can see that when connected to something like a quadcopter they would be rock solid as the copter itself is reasonably stable, but connected to the end of a pole which is moving around quite a lot must be a different order of technical challenge to keep the camera steady.
ski holidays
I'll drop you a PM and we can organise a trial, you will i think be impressed.
snow conditions
ansta1, what kind of cost are we talkng about?
snow report
ansta1, i would go for the dji phantom 2 and the zenmuse 3d axis gimball. I went through a phase of researching them as a fantasy and came to the conclusion that if i was to ever buy one i would get that. Although the 3 axis gimball is more expensive than the 2 axis; i would strongly recommend getting the 3 axis as it will provide you with much more stable footage and save you from pulling your hair out when it comes to the time that you look over your footage and its unbearably shaky
ski holidays
EuanFraser, I have a 3 axis gimbal but a handheld one. As for the zenmuse, just be careful if you use with a gopro as they are not officially compatible and have been the cause of the odd camera death or two.
ski holidays
ansta1, I'm not sure I have heard good things about them. As for the handheld gimball i wonder if you could attach it to a ski pole somehow and use it for filming others or for face shots to make a super smooth shot. Water proofing would be an issue...
snow report
Levi215,a little over £200 for a well proven 3 axis gimbal, so not throw away money but also given the performance you can get, pretty good value if you need one.

EuanFrtaser, with a bit of ingenuity it can be attached to a pole, and no the ones I have are not waterproof, in fact you have to run the gopro naked due to the weight.
latest report
ok it has gone to far, saw a guy with a GoPro on a pole filming the swans his kid was feeding...
ski holidays
kitenski, Swan Lake? Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy