Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites 2014-2015 : Arabba/Selva/Corvara/Canazei etc......

Poster: A snowHead
Seems to still be a fair bit uncertainly of how much snow will fall (if any) over the next few days - fingers crossed!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Peter S, "Wish I was going out again..." Me too -- next year beckons..... Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Seems to still be a fair bit uncertainly of how much snow will fall (if any) over the next few days - fingers crossed!

Puzzled shedloads forecast for Madonna/Folgarida over next 3/4 days snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@paulfaz, ah, but, forecast by whom? That is the question.... different models predict different things - that's my point.

Bergfex (based on (edit) ZAMG I think) forecast a grand total of 11cm for Arabba over the next few days:

http://www.bergfex.com/arabba/wetter/berg/

(posted at 15.30 UK time - the link is live so amounts will change)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 13-02-15 16:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The local forecast from the avalanche centre which I tend to use more than any other forecast tool, is predicting 10/20 mm precipitation in the Northern Dolomites from Saturday to Sunday evening (25/35 in Southern Dolomites). The mm usually equates to the same number of cm's of snow when I have looked at previous forecasts on the site.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/previsioni/it/html/meteo_dolomiti.php

The 6Z GFS run still has little agreement on how much precipitation will fall when looking at all the ensemble members. Most runs agree up to the 15th but then the OP run quickly reduces the precipitation whilst the other ensemble runs keep the precipitation going until Tuesday. Thus looks like its still up in the air how much will fall over the Dolomites.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jimmybog, yes, some models have the snow staying further west and so not really making it into the Dollies... We shall see.

These systems that come up from the south seem to be much more unpredictable / exciting than the westerly storms that bring snow to the northern French alps.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
red 27 wrote:
@paulfaz, ah, but, forecast by whom? That is the question.... different models predict different things - that's my point.

Bergfex (based on (edit) ZAMG I think) forecast a grand total of 11cm for Arabba over the next few days:

http://www.bergfex.com/arabba/wetter/berg/

(posted at 15.30 UK time - the link is live so amounts will change)

Yes - is it unusual to have such disagreement 2 days out?

According to this site (based on GFS I believe) Alta Badia is going to get a good 50cms+ over the next few days - http://www.meteoexploration.com/forecasts/Alta-Badia/ but the Bergfex forecast is more or less the same as it is for Arabba.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm out there from next weekend, so will try to give daily reports
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks a foul day out there today - but sadly not much (if any) snow.

Hey ho - fire up those cannon(s) Confused
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No need for cannons in Latemar/Obereggen, it's lovely. Visibility was a bit low at the top yesterday but fine slightly further down. Forecast for the rest of the week is sun, sun, sun. Pass the factor 40, please! Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@magriggs, That sounds tolerable!

Piste conditions are OK over there? snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Piste condition excellent, nothing to worry about. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@magriggs, good news - thanks snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
perusing the webcams this AM -- look like it is Snowing in Selva and Arabba .. Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I will be in Canazei tomorrow Very Happy so hope there's some fresh stuff there too.
snow conditions
Looked at snow-forecast.com and it's predicting 80 cm of snow in Canazei for Tuesday alone! Where do they get this craziness from. If that's even half right though it'll be pretty good!

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Canazei/6day/mid
ski holidays
En route to Arabba now. I was actually hoping for some decent Sun this week but I guess I shouldn't complain Confused
snow conditions
skiben wrote:
Looked at snow-forecast.com and it's predicting 80 cm of snow in Canazei for Tuesday alone! Where do they get this craziness from. If that's even half right though it'll be pretty good!

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Canazei/6day/mid

Very unlikely to be even half right from the charts I'm seeing and the local Dolomites avalanche centre forecast.
latest report
A link to a 'personal' weather station in Arabba (lots of info, but no mention of the SNOW !)

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IVENETOL7#history/s20150220/e20150220/mdaily
snow conditions
Hi @pokemon, enjoy yr week, hoping to get back to the area myself late march. Coincidently just had an email from a mutual ex arrabba friend of ours !
snow report
pokemon wrote:
En route to Arabba now. I was actually hoping for some decent Sun this week but I guess I shouldn't complain Confused

Sun was last week, I've arrived back with a better sunburn tan than after a week in Tenerife in July. On my face, anyway Shocked Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Thanks @nickH, she said she can't make it out this year unfortunately. Awoke this morning to a pretty long looking Christmas card snow covered scene but it's probably not going to make enjoyable skiing as the visibility is poor due to a fine mist like snow still falling. According to local weather the sun will appear this afternoon. No real chance of getting a tan this week I think @magriggs,
snow report
@pokemon, yup, so she said -poor thing had to suffer skiing in Japan instead!!!! Have a great week.
latest report
Was in Ortisei last week, half term. Sun all week, no new snow. Loads of bare patches on the hillsides but pistes were immaculate as ever due to snow cannon.

Think it must be the first trip in at least 15 years where I didn't even try to find some fresh tracks, just wasn't worth the effort as the snow was clearly too thin.

And actually had a pleasant trip as a consequence. Concentrated on technique on the pistes rather than stressing about the off piste. The memory of a that classic weekend in January lapping the GlenCoe Access run in perfect powder whilst half of Glasgow was stuck on the A82 helped things along.
ski holidays
In Arabba now - 15cm of new snow last night and this morning turned every run into a powdery mogul field

Tough for the snowploughers but fun for the rest of us
Toofy Grin

Arabba and corvara very snowy - kronplatz totally bare (bar artificial)

Conditions are very localised
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
In Arabba now - 15cm of new snow last night and this morning turned every run into a powdery mogul field

Tough for the snowploughers but fun for the rest of us
Toofy Grin

Arabba and corvara very snowy - kronplatz totally bare (bar artificial)

Conditions are very localised

Thanks for the updates red27. Glad to hear plenty of snow in Corvara. Should be some more tonight/tomorrow.
snow report
Realising I'm English, everyone one in my hotel keeps asking me if I know 'señor Admin'?!?

Odd

High and sporty, today, clockwise round the SR. Bit of a tourist trial but the views are tdf

Started at midday to avoid the (other) punters and that worked well. Some icy patches on the usual hotspots

Bluebird all day, clouded over tonight so we shall see tomoz
ski holidays
Snowed lightly all night and is still coming down

Another 10cm I would say.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Good to hear. 3 weeks until I will be there
snow report
Just got back from our trip there. Snow on piste is lovely, although it does cut up making it even more fun.

Not sure what it is like now after the yesterdays snow, but off piste was a little grassy in places, not the best i've seen, although still doable if you want.

Do love the Dolomites, can't wait to get back. Very envious of all those who are going. Enjoy everyone.
ski holidays
Snowed lightly all day and quite breezy to so a 'Scott of the Antartic" feel out on the hill.

Another 10cm I would say.

I got hopelessly lost in the blue run wilderness between corvara and San cassiano and then shared the corvara gondola with someone who thought they were in Selva! A taxi beckoned for them I think
snow report
Another one here going in 3 weeks time, well just under 3 weeks, keep the reports going we are staying in Pedraces/Badia. Very Happy
snow report
Thanks for the updates everyone. Looks like that will be the last of the snowfall now for a while according to the latest charts.
ski holidays
Pisten perfetten heute Happy
snow conditions
CP - I hope Pedraces/Badia is rather more snowy now than last week when we skied over there from Arabba for lunch. There was no snow to be seen apart from on the piste itself, but to give the pisteurs their due, it was in perfect condition. From a distance, the mountain looked completely brown, with just a strip of white running down it. Enjoy your trip. Very jealous not to be going back this year with all the lovely new snow, but the rooms are already booked for next Feb half-term. Just the flights to sort now.....
snow conditions
It's all looking very white now for sure.

Sieser Alm today via the whizzy new train from val gardena

Best conditions are always anywhere that ain't on the SR
snow report
@red 27, Not heard of the 'whizzy new train'' ---- do tell !!
ski holidays
10-12cms in Arabba on Tuesday, bit more up Porto Vescovo. Skied till 2pm and retired to the spa! Did SR today, anti-clockwise with Saslong and a bit towards Ortesi and all was fine, in that there was plenty of snow, but hard work in the pm with poor light and choppy pistes. Was snowimg round Val di Fassa when we came through. Should be a good day tomorrow.
snow report
Any thoughts on whether it would be too risky to book the final week of the season in the Dolomites ie 5-12 Feb?

We went last year, just after the major snowfalls so hit it really lucky, but this year didn't book anything due to work commitments. It now looks as if we could go that Easter week - but the snow has not been great this year, so can't decide whether to hold off booking..(I think I know the answer really, wait and see, but interested in any opinions going)
ski holidays
@gamekeeper,

My general rule for the Dolomites is not after the first week of March (but I know lots will disagree...!).

Easter next year is 27th March, so early for that bank holiday - might be worth the risk...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy