Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Don't take your skis off half way down a run

Poster: A snowHead
ouch, could have been worse

Go to 8:15 minutes in.

http://youtube.com/v/bbF_PsGy0Es
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ha, ha. It reminds me of the first time I tried Mont Fort. First turn at the top fell over and slid a looooooooong way on my back Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gilberts Fridge, I am impressed that you watched it that far. The conditions look very good but somehow I don't think the camera man enjoyed it that much. 35 minutes later he still hasn't got to the bottom.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Numerous backslides throughput the video actually, usually following a traverse to the edge of the piste. He can't/won't turn when the snow's steep, narrow or bumpy but does enjoy going fast when it's smooth, wide and shallow. He also appears to be skiing with two children ... I wonder if it was a case of "hey, kids ... follow me" or were they leading him on Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE, I had just opened it, then Fridge major asked me to do some thing. I was just sitting down again as he lost his first ski. That area looks way beyond my current fitness level. time to get back in training.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
He had nice red boots though Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
He gets good marks for team balls from me, but I want to see him coming.
He had the right tactic for tortan, go straight down at the start to avoid the rutted traverse and rutted traversers, then head right after a few hundred feet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've all done something daft. Not all of us memorialise our stupidity on YouTube. Falls into the what was he thinking attempting that terrain with that level of skill bucket though to be fair didn't see anyone really sending it in style or even sliding it casually.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I only watched that section. Is it really all one take?

I do wonder what novices get out of that sort of thing, it doesn't look a lot of fun.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
love a good yardsale
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I was not used to moguls we were skiing in Vermont, and we had done a lot of pistes that were groomed, in the wonderful style of the states the runs were named, and we followed an arrow for one called the chin clip, holy god I was certainly out of my depth, it was full of moguls, all iced over, and that explained why so few were following that trail, It was really hard ice and steep to boot, so halfway down I just wanted to throw in the towel and walk down, but I kept going and swore never to ski iced moguls EVER again, ( I did though, still don't like them much.) I can't see their problem there though it was lovely conditions. perhaps they didn't realise that there were moguls when they went down the run?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yep, been there. Also in Verbier as an intermediate, on bumps. Pretty sure I skied most of them on my backside.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am much more confident and skilled these days, but the runs that I am skiing are typically the red ones and these do seem to get more than their fair share of moguls on them - particularly in resorts that might not piste them every day, seemingly to allow them to develop. Though admittedly in VT they always piste the alternative routes to give folks not skilled in skiing them a way down.

I think that they are something that I need to learn to ski - though I am rather wary about asking for lessons for fear of what I'll be faced with. I cope with 'day one' slushy mounds if I take them slowly, and I do find that I start to turn accurately enough that I can now arrange to turn on the 'good snow' on the shallower surfaces, I also understand the theory of skiing them. However, what would still give me take a sharp intake of breath are the regular 'solid' type of moguls that have no 'give' when you hit them wrong and I do still worry about encountering these on pistes that from a slope incline perspective I could otherwise ski. Maybe I should Rule 5 and get some lessons before much longer. However, I don't think I'll consider taking my skis off!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I didn't look closely but I thought "Tortin" and "what is he doing there?". Could easily be hurt if that slide had been down a bumpy section.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
agree with biddypat - can't imagine Tortin is ever friendlier than that for "intermediates". My 8 year old daughter would have skied that just fine.

Having said that, I confess I've done better slides than that albeit I didn't deliberately remove my skis. Not on a bump run though.
ski holidays
he is so far out his comfort zone. Came across a black mogul field in Motngenevre this year which looked horrific. i could have got down it but chose to go down the red on the other side as it would have taken me ages been no fun whatsoever and i might have hurt myself. what is nice in the video is the reminder that skiiers all help each other and whilst he lay in heap 300 metres down from where his skis and poles were some nice guys with abilty to ski the terrain brought his things to him.
snow conditions
Absolutely love the commentary in Chinese and then after his big slide realising his skis are now halfway back up the hill he chucks in "Ah poo-poo"
ski holidays
Love it (mind you hope the guy was alright).

I adore Tortin. First time I did it there were three of us. Well actually four - one took one look and got back in the lift to go down. One guy has an apartment out there so knew it well. The other guy just didn't want to face the steep start and so skied for an age round the top looking for an "easier" way in. We kept shouting "it's a bowl, how is it going to get easier?". You just have to let yourself go at first, no matter how undignified the result.

This year we did it two days running. The first day was beautiful blue sky and the snow was fresh and soft. We pretty much did it non-stop in one go in no time at all. I was convinced I was the greatest skier in the world. The second day it was flat light, grey and cloud. I just couldn't find a single good turn. The mountain had shown me yet again who was boss.

Makes me really sad I don't have a trip to Verbier planned this year. I might try a sneaky drive round one day from Zermatt.
snow report
halfhand wrote:
Ha, ha. It reminds me of the first time I tried Mont Fort. First turn at the top fell over and slid a looooooooong way on my back Embarassed

Yes me too - in near zero visibility. My mate was really pee'd off as:

a) I'm generally a better skier than him, so if I tumbled on the first turn there's a good chance he would struggle too

b) I got down the massive icy mogul field in about 20 seconds, thankfully unharmed, whereas it took him about 10 minutes and he was exhausted afterwards.

Regarding Tortin though....that's about the most benign that I've seen it, and good on him for actually trying.
ski holidays
He needs to stop turning with his shoulders!, never get down there with the weight all wrong!
ski holidays
It's Mont Fort folks, not Tortin... rolling eyes
ski holidays
I do hope he was ok, but as he slid away from the first ski that came off I had to laugh - because it could so easily have been me as well
ski holidays
I thought he(?) did quite well, given what he'd let himself in for. At least I now know the Chinese for "Oh f**k there's more bumps!".

It's Mt Fort, followed by the slightly surprising decision to turn right onto the Col des Gentianes. A descent of 1300M vertical, mostly over bumps. When they turned right they transitioned from a marked run to an itinerary. Possibly without understanding what was written on the sign telling them that.

Being supremely pedantic Tortin is a place not a run. It's where the Col des Gentianes run meets the run from the Col de Chassoure to Tortin. The run is formally known as Chassoure.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy