Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead
Yesterday morning rode up the Col de Pierre Carree, even though it was early it was very hot. Had a slightly odd sight near the vernant lift car park of a family of four rather rare european mink (i think) playing in the road!

Long walk this morning , including in the trees above les carroz

good view of the new MGM leaseback build in les carroz

and a tiny little bit of snow on Point d'Areu (which is about 2470m about same height as top of Flaine) usually a bit more left this time of year, but it is really hot

and a panorama from the same point, Point d'Areu on the left, Mole in the centre and Pic de Marcilly (sp) on the right

Then found that the lift company has been putting up new barriers on a blue piste (lou darbes) that winds down to combe and then down to the village

Its used as a mtb course in the summer, no idea why it has an English name??

Then a view of my favourte off piste.....L'Arbaron on the right in the photo (superb in good snow, you have to hike across the golf course to get to it)

and finally plein soleil chair lift, before walking down through the trees back to the village

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On my daily ride up to the top of the col, it was stupidly hot, tarmac was melting in places , I saw a huge truck with lots of chairs from grand vans on the back of it coming down.

Coming back down was interesting with the state of melting tarmac in places, have had to remove bits of tar from the underside of the downtube of the bike
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting pics @Zorrac, thanks for posting.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jude1, Thank you for the kind comment

Have been walking and cycling quite a bit, so a few more photos and observations about some ski run changes

Sunday morning was probably not one of the best times to ride up the col, all the local imprezza drivers seem to turn it into a sort of race track, along with various big bikes it was interesting. .......some go up and down multiple times, the stink of very hot brakes was rather evident at times.

Did the sept freres walk, which goes up from les carroz, along les sommards, then up to marvel via Le Chalet des Tronchets. then back along les sommards. Its very easy.

Le Chalet des Tronchets is a restaurant you can get to via some easy off piste in the winter, superb views from the chalet

The easy off piste (with the Clufts family tiny little chalet in the middle)

From here you could see various things happening to the runs as the view is excellent

They are installing some more snow making at the top of combe, just down from the telecabin up to the start of the red zorta, see earth moving things below

and

and

The views are brilliant by the way....here is a panorama from outside the Clufts chalet

A few other things they seem to have done to runs

The top of the black under gron seems to have been smoothed de stoned/rocked?

and

the same with the red to the far left of gron lift

and finally lots of mad parascending persons from their jumping off point to the right of gron (manager of Chalet de jouvance has gone and smashed his arm to bits doing this , hopefully he will be better soon)

finally if you want to see the lower part of combe in the summer and one last panorama

panorama (which is the one they use for the winter website, with people skiing down in the foreground)

snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some pretty wicked lightening last night, no rain just flashes and bangs

and

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lovely photos and thanks for the updates. I'll be in Flaine in about 10 days time and I'll post any changes in the Flaine bowl.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Chris Mason, One or two more photos, as a balloon appeared in the village early one morning. Back at other home now, back mid august. Hopefully it will be alittle cooler, on Friday it was melting hot going up the col on my road bike.

View across to Sallanches and st gervais in the distance

A few of the balloon and the village

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are currently staying with some friends down the mountain a bit from les carroz, but on our walk this morning / early afternoon I spied what must be a new piste in les carroz?? Don't know if it actually is, but it looks very piste like?

On the picture below the new "piste"?? is the cleared area on the left, zorta is the red piste you see coming straight down, rhodos, another red up and to the right. The top of combe on the very far right.

they have been busy, as contrast with a larger picture from a month ago

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Zorrac, thanks for all the summer pics. We'll be on our way to check it out for ourselves on Saturday, our first summer trip to Les Carroz. Can't wait!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sj1608, You will enjoy it, its quite different to the winter. the walks are brill especially down towards araches through the forest.

Sat here for lunch today, we saw nobody for 5 hours on the walk (outside of people in la frasse) apart from a chap chopping wood outside his summer chalet.

and saw one of these flying around above us

zoomed in for this , then it vanished................

this is ballancy just below La frasse

and taking this was interesting, the path was as steep as a ladder here, with water tumbling around your feet, the chalet was where the chap was chopping wood.

have a safe journey
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This years report from Alps Accommodation on their official trip to view improvements in the GM. Some interesting things.

http://www.alpsaccommodation.com/Samoens-Morillon-and-the-Grand-Massif-improvements-2015-15
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
les carroz is currently very pleasant, and rather quiet, (except for diggers etc) even though the tourist office is open as its all saints and there are a few shops open etc. Rather pleasant walk this afternoon in warm sun with autumn colours everywhere

The lift company are remodelling the beginner area with the free drags lifts, the Figaro drag is currently dismantled and they are chewing up the whole piste above les arielles, with rather large trucks and diggers. Even in the dark as i am watching them!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ian999, An interesting article. I wonder how L'Arete can be made wider as it is already the width of the ridge at the top? It will certainly be good if it is.

@Zorrac, What do you think they are doing on the piste next to Figaro lift? Will they be putting the drag back in?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowymum, They are just now removing the figaro drag lift base, and the hut, there are earth banks all around the area now (including in front of les arielles terrace) and they have flattened a very large area, maybe a moving carpet is going in? One of the drags in the beginners area opposite belle pistes has gone as well, can't see the other one from where we are. There is huge amounts of earth moving going on.........will need to ask what is happening
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Zorrac, I have read somewhere that they are putting in a magic carpet in the beginners area - near belle pistes.

Hopefully they are doing the same in place of the Figaro as that was hard for our friends whose kids were beginners last year.

I also saw a Les Carroz tweet about a new snowpark - above the molliets area I think - although I quite liked that area as it was.
ski holidays
Its a new beginners area, at the bottom of the page, using the link below

Figaro was too difficult for beginners, i put my little lad under my arm and carried him up the drag!, it was easier than any other way

I think there may also be sledging / tubing as the banks of earth are huge. They have done the same thing on the area opposite belle pistes

see here

http://winter.lescarroz.com/our-mountain-2/brand-new-on-the-slopes.html
latest report
@snowymum, I wondered the same thing. The first 40 metres or so generally causes problems when busy. I think there may have been some scope to widen it to the right? Otherwise I look forward to finding out in early Jan.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy