Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead
You are right, but it doesn't stop us all checking ALL the forecasts for weeks before we go and only believing the ones we like !!!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think there is some scaremongering going on here. "Some places " in my experience means just that and only really on the runs down to Vercland and Morillon. Skied all over the GM yesterday. No brown patches or closed pistes to speak of. Pistes in very good condition. Gers and Cascades were open and more good off piste than you might expect. The beautiful weather means you must expect some spring conditions first thing and later afternoon. Snow id forecast soon.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ian999, thanks for the update, leaving for Les Carroz in next half hour, so good to hear you've saved some snow for us!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ian999, I've just spent 4 days all over the GM and no scaremongering is going on just reporting as we saw it and trying to inform people. Yes runs down to Morillon and vercland were looking very brown. Grand Cret and (I think forny) were shut all weekend. Lanche was closed yesterday. Corbalanche was closed yesterday morning but not the afternoon (not due to lack of snow). If you didn't see the brown patches then I would suggest you didn't ski the runs I did (Bergin for one was very thin still skiable but looking worn). Still plenty of great skiing over most of the area I would agree.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ian999 wrote:
Think there is some scaremongering going on here. "Some places " in my experience means just that and only really on the runs down to Vercland and Morillon. Skied all over the GM yesterday. No brown patches or closed pistes to speak of. Pistes in very good condition. Gers and Cascades were open and more good off piste than you might expect. The beautiful weather means you must expect some spring conditions first thing and later afternoon. Snow id forecast soon.

Did it snow between Saturday afternoon and when you wrote this. Lots of brown around on the lower slopes on Saturday.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can anyone advise on the conditions at the bottom of Cascades? Is it skiable all the way down?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it's open it will be skiable - and it is open, today at least.

http://winter.grand-massif.com/weather-and-snow-conditions
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There was a sign on the Desert Blanc lift today that said it was icy at the bottom of Cascades. But since it's almost always icy at the bottom of Cascades I guess it meant VERY icy!

We've now been here for two days and the snow is in better condition than we had expected. Flaine, where we skied today, is in generally excellent condition, didn't see any brown patches at all and even at 4pm barely any slush. Morillon and Les Carroz, where we were yesterday, had lots of slush and some bare patches. Marvel was looking very sad. But overall there's still plenty of skiable pistes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the responses and additional info. Headed to Flaine this weekend and planning to do Cascades Sunday .... last year the final section was bare which meant we had to walk down. Not a big deal for me ... but some in my party may complain!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@genevan, Cascades was open all the way down last Saturday.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@genevan, we skied it for the first time a few weeks ago and there was snowmaking down towards the bottom, have a feeling that someone told me they had installed it for this season, but not 100% sure on that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
halfhand wrote:
@genevan, Cascades was open all the way down last Saturday.

...and on Thursday, so there should be enough snow for Sunday (today).
All pistes higher up in Flaine, Morillon and Samoens were in good condition and plenty of skiing to be had. The steep sections of some pistes are suffering a bit, being very scraped. Slush/soup lower down (which I quite enjoy) in the afternoons. Scorchio this past week (well, 8C and v sunny) can't have helped but they're expecting a change in weather later this week - lower temps with some snow.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sj1608, There has always been some snowmaking at the bottom of cascades, hence its usually icy marbles everywhere (mixed with a few stones)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Zorrac, thanks for that.

It clouded up and snowed in Flaine yesterday afternoon. Not sure how long it lasted, as we went back to Les Carroz, but definitely an hour or so. Not heavy, but better than nothing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Report from Cascades today: first sections were excellent but the bottom third (after Lac de Gers) was a mix of ice and slush, with a few bare patches and a few stones. Definitely skiable, though.
snow report
I would say snow conditions in Flaine disappointing but this depends on your standpoint. Snow quite hard in many places. Black slopes open but quite rocky. Off piste looks pretty poor and bare patches abound. But blue pistes still fine so if you're not expecting deep and steep or freeriding you should be good. But forecast not promising so anyone coming much later will really need to pray for snow.
snow report
Disappointing compared to what dude? comparing it to the time of the year (if so im worried) or the perfect skiing conditions?

in the space of 3 hours between yours and the post above it went from Excellent to disappointing !
snow conditions
@leeboy, I think it's 10 days until you get here, and it's really hard to know what to say as this is all so subjective.

It's a week since we got here and although it's been warm most of the time, the pistes in Flaine are not significantly worse than they were when we arrived. We ski on piste, blues and reds and haven't found any that were not enjoyable to ski, although there are a few thin patches. If you stay high, it's generally not icy nor slushy, but the snow is hard packed (something to do with all the wind that came with the last lot of snow breaking down the flakes, I've been told).

I think all of this depends on expectations and what you are looking for. If you are coming for off piste, pristine powder, blacks in perfect condition with no rocks, then you're likely to be disappointed. If you're coming to ski reds and blues and enjoy being out in the snow and fresh air, then you probably won't be, provided it doesn't suddenly deteriorate.
latest report
I'd say conditions around the GM are pretty much what you'd expect with the recent weather and patterns. And not so very different from what you'd expect around this time of year when there hasn't been a decent snowfall for a while.
ski holidays
@sj1608 you are correct its 10 days Smile

I'm not expecting mid February conditions but I am hoping to ski every day we're there. Family time though is top of the list.

It is what it is and what ever the conditions we'll make the most of what we've got.

Thanks

LB snowHead
snow report
Update on GM conditions. Flaine is best. Red and blue pistes actually quite ok. Were hard at start of week but not so much now. Despite sunshine temperatures have not been so high so slush hasn't really been a problem. That may change tomorrow and Friday.

Off-piste: coverage very poor and what is there is frozen crud and not significantly softening during day. There are no powder stashes. The snow on steep section in Gers bowl is still quite chalky.
The Agate freeride zone has a lot of exposed rocks and cliffs but in fact route finding is fun. Diamant noir is just treacherous. Very rocky at entrance to steep section and very hard moguls below that. Not worth it. Gers is well covered and I think whole bowl quite safe with avi risk currently so low. Some chalky snow to be found off to sides but no powder. Moguls at bottom are KILLER
snow report
Anyone know angulation of steep slope in Gers- if you keep to right of piste the big face facing north you come to? Above and to right of where piste turns right. From draglift it doesn't look particularly steep, but once on it it feels like 35 degrees (right in avi range if fresh snow..). Has anyone measured it or otherwise know?
latest report
Not measured it, but fell so often, it felt bloody steep ...... Does that help...

Back in 10 days will measure it , but guessing it's really steep !!!
latest report
Thought it was time for a quick update on weather conditions.

Until this morning there has been no precipitation at all, and the pistes in Flaine have continued to deteriorate very slowly. Still plenty to ski and in pretty good condition, but with some thin bits. No pistes narrowed as yet, but lots of snow being pulled in from off the pistes to fill holes.

Then it rained all morning today in Flaine Foret, with snow and bad visibility further up. By 3pm it had started snowing in Foret, although the snow was not laying on bare ground or cars. But a couple of hundred metres higher the cars, trees and ground were turning white. Visibility was too bad for us to want to venture higher than Aup de Veran, but there was definitely a significant amount of snow coming down through the morning, although all pretty slushy.

Back in Les Carroz now, where it is raining hard. Just hope it's still snowing in Flaine.......
latest report
So my app is showing 34cm to fall in flaine on Wednesday.

Can't be right but I'm hoping Smile

LB
ski holidays
Got back from a long weekend last night with transfers from action transfers which were very good, thanks for all the suggestions. Snow is icy in the morning and slushy in the afternoon. Sunday was the best but only 5-10 cms fell saturday.
snow conditions
Very foggy/cloudy yesterday, visibility down to 30 or 40 metres in places. Today looks murky, too. It snowed in Flaine yesterday, but not sure how much. In Les Carroz village there's been a light dusting, but it was cold enough to stay on the trees, on the roofs and on the ground, which would suggest that what fell higher would be decent snow.

@leeboy, that 34cm didn't materialise, but forecast looking good for lots on Sunday......after we've gone. Sad
snow report
@sj1608, Thanks for the updates- sorry for you that you leave before the next potential fall on Sunday. Hope it happens as we arrive Saturday afternoon with fingers crossed. Any further updates before the weekend will be most welcome!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@broadsman, will make sure I post at least once more before we go. Where are you staying?
snow report
Morning all, arriving next Thursday eve in Morillon so watching this thread avidly. Sometimes tho I feel I shouldn't be checking forecasts cos its all arranged and we're coming regardless.
ski holidays
Notice that there hasn't been a report in a while. Been here since last Friday. Most pistes skiable although the quality varies - with not much that is good. Lack of snow and spring weather has taken its toll with slush predominant except when the night was cold and then its a bit crunchy. Last couple of days have been dense fog. Little bit of snow earlier this week helped but the forecast snow over the weekend is much needed. If it comes and it doesn't fall as rain it will suddenly turn into paradise. Fingers crossed.

wink
ski holidays
@mark riddick, Just had a quick peak at various so called weather forecast sites and it either gona be peeing with torrential rain or 30 to 40 cm of the great white stuff over weekend and into first half of next week. Not looking from now on, I'll just wait and see and make the best of what there is when I get there snowHead
snow report
@sj1608, will appreciate any future posts thanks. Staying at Club Hotel MMV in Flaine Forum. I think that's the full name although it seems to vary it's name slightly depending where you look.
ski holidays
@broadsman, then you're in the best part of the GM for conditions at present. There is still decent skiing. Yes, it's slushy lower down, a bit crunchy on cold mornings, and there's the odd brown bit. But up high lots of the pistes are still in good condition and a pleasure to ski. The fog is the biggest issue at the moment, not the snow!!
snow conditions
Today was much better conditions - the sun battled bravely with the fog and got a hard fought victory! A bit of snow in the night (about 5cms in the Flaine bowl - probably slightly less elsewhere) made all the difference. Loads of white stuff forecast for Sun and Monday - fingers crossed.....
snow report
And not only could we see where we were skiing today, that bit of snow stuck to the trees and made everything back into a winter wonderland for photos!

We skied in Flaine, Les Carroz and Morillon today and conditions varied enormously. Flaine was good, so long as you stayed high up, even lower down there were bits that weren't slushy. Les Carroz was really patchy - some good firm pistes and others that were a total slushfest, predominantly based on angle of slope, I think. In Morillon the first part down from the top of Sairon lift to about the bottom of the Biollaires lift was pretty OK, after that it got very slushy.
ski holidays
Last posting before finishing getting ready to get a few hours rest before early flight- should be in Flaine by midday'ish. Things looking reasonably promising weather wise! Hoping for a good week!
Forecasted snow Sunday/Monday very welcome.@sj1608, @mark riddick, Thanks for the nice recent updates.
snow report
From me too, I'm there tomorrow for a week and appreciated the updates all.

LB
latest report
@broadsman, might see you on the slopes this afternoon, before we pack up and go tomorrow morning. Safe travels both.
latest report
Just back from a day pottering around in Flaine bowl. Conditions are fine ... a little bit slushy at the bottom in the afternoon, but otherwise fine.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy