Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead
Heavy snow until about 2pm today then lighter until around 3.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowforecast.com showing quite a lot of heavy rain Sunday through Tuesday for the GM somebody please tell me they have got it wrong! I arrive Tuesday for three days having already lost our Xmas hol due to no snow I'm feeling a tad unlucky.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jirac18, Forecast for Flaine at 1585m says snow every day for the next 6 days apart from Monday morning where it is 34mm heavy rain! Seems a bit odd Puzzled

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Flaine/6day/bot

Same report also shows no rain but up to 15cm snow at just over 2000m for Monday morning. So if it's raining in the village just get up the mountain out of the rain Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think it will be fine. The freezing level drops quickly after Tuesday...we arrive Thursday and there should plenty of fresh snow...enjoy your week !!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It can snow like anything this week but leave it nice sunny next weekend though wink snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowfirecast.com @jirac18, is a bit rubbish at forecasting.

Far better to look at http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/morning/5_days_weather_forecast.php
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samoens only today. Snow conditions excellent throughout, temps cold and snow still on trees from about 200m above village. Foggy to start but cleared a bit so visibility improved however light remained a flat. A fair few people about but not too busy and queue for Chariande Express reasonable but down to zero at lunch. Village very busy with cars late afternoon when leaving Covey's after a pint and watching the Scotland-Italy game. Not sure if it was people leaving or arriving as there is still one more group of Paris' half termers left, hope they were leaving though. Snow forecast for tomorrow above 1400m so could be interesting.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samoens again today as the early morning snow in the village turned to rain which manifested as drizzle up the mountain and depending where you were, you could ski in and out of it . Visibility was ok but as you skied the drizzle built up on your googles and made it interesting in the flat light. Snow conditions good though and the overnight deposit probably protected the base, a lot of people about so they did not all go home yesterday as hoped. Got a bit wet too so bottled it and watched the rugby in Covey's where I got quite wet on the inside. Expect much the same tomorrow without the rugby but forecast looking better Tuesday.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the updates Basil.....can't wait for Thursday. Conditions sound good
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rained very heavily throughout last night and it was windy too, still raining this morning so decided not to bother going up as anticipated similar conditions as yesterday and Mrs B fancied a day off. Apart from a short pause midday the rain has continued and at times been very heavy so conditions could have changed up top. Lots of people in Samoens village today so perhaps they had the same idea as us, weather set fair for tomorrow though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Basil, that's not very good news! Was it raining or snowing from 1100 upwards? Arrive at Morillon tomorrow hopefully conditions will be okay
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Getting colder from tomorrow.... Think it will be good for anyone this week. Snow till Friday then weekend sunshine.....fingers crossed
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jirac18, Some forecasts suggest it was snowing and if it was there would probably have been a massive dump. I'll check it out tomorrow and report back.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was raining up to at least 1600m today in GM. But now getting significantly colder and http://chamonix-meteo.com/chamonix-mont-blanc/weather/forecast/evening/6_days_weather_forecast.php indicating snow for the next few days.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not sure it snowed much yesterday/last night as powder tracks still evident. Pistes were obviously affected by the rain as snow texture was very different from weekend as it was very grainy and loose, pistes not icy but packed smooth beneath the top layer. Weather sunny and very warm so we took a trip over to Morillon for a coffee at L'Igloo. Sairon became worse as we skied down and was cut up quite a lot so we only skied to the Bergin chair. Travelled back to Samoens via the Lanche chair and the queue was massive, probably took 15 mins or more to get through. Loads of people about and because of the warm temps the bottom of Marmotte was soft and wet, lower temps will be welcome. Skiing good though and a few very small patches thin but condition overall still very good and those coming out will enjoy it immensely even if the promised snow is disappointing, crowds should be gone this weekend too.
snow report
Looks like we're in for a sunny weekend and temps above 0deg during the day. Toofy Grin
latest report
Snowing in the village this morning and cloudy up top. We were both feeling a bit grotty so thought we would drive up to the plateau and see what the conditions were like rather than buy a lift pass in the valley. As we ascended past the Vercland lift the temperature started dropping and snow was settling on the roads and trees. Ploughs were out in force and up top they had had at least 6" snow. It was around -4C and quite windy and we decided not to ski. In the village it snowed most of the day on and off with a couple of heavy dumps included. Condition tomorrow expected to be similar so may well be epic for forthcoming few days.
snow conditions
Could be a great weekend with the boys.....
ski holidays
As of 11.00 local time there are very violent winds and other than Moriilon - Les carroz no links open.
snow report
We got up this morning expecting snow as it would have been easier to justify going home early because we are both full off cold and feel crappy, so were disappointed to see a beautiful blue sky which made the drive out of the valley all the more painful. I did notice how windy it was in the valley and along the A40 past Geneva so I feel sorry for those who have not necessarily had the best of weeks due to the weather. However I expect the snow was good and hope all those on the way out have a good ski.

That's us done for this season, roll on the next.
snow report
Thanks For the updates Basil. I'm out in Samoens from the 19th for a long weekend. Can't wait and hoping for either nice cold powder or warm spring slush. Don't care which. had both the same time last year when it went from warm crud with grass off piste to two foot of powder within 24 hours. That would do nicely.
snow report
Heading out tomorrow for a week, so hoping for some good conditions on piste. Already had a week in Hinterglemm in January and got the best of that month, so hoping my luck is still there for next week too. Seems to have been a wee bit recently, just hope it's not too icy as I'll be on my 98mm all mountain planks and they're not the best when it's that hard.
snow report
Lovely conditions over last 2 days, sunny, warm in afternoon but not too slushy. Pistes very good everywhere except Marvel run in Morillon which looked very brown but the birds singing in the trees with the joys of spring took my mind off that. Pistes a bit crunchy till the sun got on them but no sheet ice to worry about.
ski holidays
Heading over to flaine the 27th march, here's hoping for a few more dumps before then
ski holidays
@leeboy, you may need them Leeboy. Skied Les Crroz, Samoens, Morillion this morning. Bottom sections fairly dire and it must have been 6 degrees by lunchtime. Massive melt in LC village. Getting a bit fussy in my old age so we put the queue in the rack
snow conditions
@leeboy, we're arriving there 28th and now looking at forecast anxiously- definitely going earlier or higher next year!
snow conditions
@broadsman, Loads can happen between now and the 28th, thats ages away in snow fall terms. I have skied down timalets right down to the gondola on the last day of the season, (not last year!) and have had brill snow in April, even low powder and skied the trees in les carroz. You don't know what will happen..................
snow report
@Zorrac, Fair enough but I only get this one week away and phrases like "fairly dire" and "massive melt" are messing with my head!! Problem is I booked so long ago and have been counting down for months I now think I have become obsessed with looking at the forecasts and webcams. Although the webcams do still look pretty good. The strange thing is I actually went a week later last year to Paradiski and that was near perfect with snow AND sun.
I appreciate the more reassuring thoughts from those of you with more experience and knowledge of the GM.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the positive side, Flaine was good yesterday. Forecast is for very high temperatures this week (16 degrees here in Geneva).

Paradiski is a lot higher than GM, so we aren't exactly comparing apples with apples.
snow conditions
No amount of local knowledge wil change the weather Very Happy

We are at GM 19th to 23rd. Went similar time last year and on arrival it was warm with lots of grass patches on sunnier aspects off the piste. Was looking very end of season. But the pistes were still fine if a bit soft low down. Then it dumped it down and we had two of the best days skiing I've ever experienced. So don't give up hope and try not to obsess about it. Now, where are those webcam links..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Arriving in Les Carroz on the 22nd March after a week in Cham, say hi if you see me, I may well have some free gloves in my back pack for anyone who says "Hi you must be Snowshepherd or livetoski" Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@broadsman, why book so late if worried about melt?

In general I don't think end of march is too late for Flaine (but any later I would go higher)

But if you have only one week per year and want best guarantee of snow you should gi earlier
ski holidays
It's best to leave it much later to book for late season. Never any problem finding accommodation - maybe book flights, and leave the accommodation till you know what the conditions are like.

I wouldn't get too upset about some of the phraseology above, @broadsman. There's time for several changes of weather, for good or ill, before the 28th. I was skiing today in the lowest bits of the Espace Diamant, which isn't far away. All pistes were fine, right down to the bottom. Nothing "dire" and no "massive melt". But having said that, the lowest bits of the GM are very low indeed and I guess you wouldn't be banking on skiing them by the end of March/early April. There should be plenty left higher up to ski on, without bothering with the bottom bits.
ski holidays
@peanuthead, I think there was too much emphasis on price rather than location/height. I was lucky the OH authorised the trip so was looking for a bargain!
snow report
@pam w, Thanks for the positive thoughts.
ski holidays
The season always ends around 20th April or often a week or so later in Flaine. In the 10 years I have been going, I have never known the resort close early.
snow conditions
getting very Brown in places especially towards morillon and les carroz. Several pistes closed.sclosed. had to Flaine and stay high.
snow conditions
What altitude and aspect are those closed slopes?
snow conditions
Got back yesterday from the GM. Conditions were amazing, blue skies and great snow especially in Flaine. Lower down towards Morillon especially after lunch was spring like with the occasional brown patch appearing. They always do a great job keep the pistes skiable although another dump would be helpful. Not worrying too much yet about the next trip on the 30th despite no snow forecast. Will worry a bit more the week before. If it's not skiable the sun will be shining..... Have an early summer holiday in beautiful,surroundings !!! Pretty sure Flaine will still be open mid April... The pisteurs will do all they can !!!!
ski holidays
Ive seen a report of snow due in flaine this weekend... Here's hoping that's the case.

We go the 27th the last time I skied flaine was late on in the season and you couldn't ski past midday really.

What will be will be getting worried ain't going to make it snow!

LB snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy