Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

We are out on Sat/Sun/Mon for a cheeky weekend. Staying in Sixt, and driving down to Samoens each day. Looks like it will be snowing most of the time we are out, so will only be getting the Massif pass, using the sunshine pass offer.

As it is snowing, I guess we will be staying in the trees. Looking at the piste map I realised that there are a number of runs at the bottom of Samoens and Morillon that we have never done on previous visits. i.e. valarge, grand cret, doina, laberieu Are they worth a visit, assuming the coverage is reasonable? Or are they less interesting 'resort runs' with loads of polling?

Also is there any great areas for through the trees off-piste (have avi gear)?

(I also realised we have never skied Sixt, even though we have stayed in the village a number of times.)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 13-02-15 21:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Ringmaster, I'm thinking of doing the same, grabbing the opportunity of a cheap flight and skiing 3 days from Sunday. Can't find anything on the "sunshine pass offer", can you elaborate? I'm getting a cost of 111 Euro for 3 days Massif pass from the main website.

Whilst here, anyone have recommendations for a cheap / medium priced hotel in the area? I've stayed in Samoens chalets in previous visits summer and winter, will be going solo this time and no car so something not too far from lifts and the evening festivities.

Cheers
Beep.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Beep,

Appologies, I meant Happy Days Pass, not sunshine pass:
http://winter.grand-massif.com/happy-days

http://winter.grand-massif.com/happy-days wrote:

Flaine or Massif skipass - can vary each day
Up to 30% off 1 day skipass!
Happy Days is a book of 3 day passes at Flaine or Massif area. Its costs 82,50€, in other words 27.50€ per day.
2 days must be during the weekend, the third day is available 7 days/7.
The best for a big weekend!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
New snow helped today but visibility poor lower down. Fingers crossed for no mist tomorrow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@ringmaster,

OK thanks, only doing one weekend day so probably won't benefit although I'll try looking lost and pathetic at the caisse. Shouldn't be hard Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 13-02-15 21:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fresh snow today made skiing even more enjoyable although as others say mist and fog made for poor visibility but it lifted on and off. Tree runs into Carroz are great. Off piste under Bergin chair in Morillon and all around Gron in Carroz were good. Lunch again in le Chalet de Clair super fast service and veg soup yummy. Hoping for sunshine tomorrow so might head to Flaine.
Anyone there at present. I heard there are schoolgirl championships on and some pistes may be closed. Is it worth going??
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ringingmaster, Doina at bottom of Morillon open. First time we've been able to do it and 3rd time here. Ab fab today just one bit before it crosses the road a bit bare but zoomed down. Blue Laberlieu closed at mo dunno why.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cret red run is lovely if the coverage is good... but rarely open these days... if it is, grab the opportunity and enjoy a lovely ride up in an old school bubble lift Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 13-02-15 21:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Zorrac, hahah - I know... its cosy with 2 people in it Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Zorrac, Isn't ht the case with the GME as well?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree with all comments above re conditions today. In Flaine this morning, powder to the sides of Aujon was a joy until the queues for the drag got too long. Got cloudy with poor vis later in the morning. The top of Faust had not been pisted and with the fresh snow and poor vis it was very hard work. Still plenty of untracked powder into the afternoon. Was going to go over to Samoens on the afternoon but the vis at the top of Grands Vans was so bad that we went back to Flaine.
Quote:

I heard there are schoolgirl championships on and some pistes may be closed. Is it worth going??

I think it all finished today
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Chris Mason, thanks. Think we will go there tomorrow as we bought GM pass in case of poor snow and even tho we don't need to go hate to waste it.
latest report
Zorrac wrote:
@Beep, If you want les carroz, then les arielles is ok, right next to a lift, good food, ok rooms, cheapest ones have a sort of cabin loo bathroom thing, its a logis de france. About 5 mins walk into town for the odd bar etc

Thanks Zorrac I'll check it out.
snow report
Blue skies and sunshine this morning. Should be great skiing today. 😀
snow report
Looks beautiful in les carroz this morning on the webcam you lucky people. Bon ski!

I'll be in Flaine for the tail end of the blizzard next week (at least I can try out my new goggles). Very Happy
ski holidays

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 13-02-15 21:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow
ski holidays
Sunny day today.spent time in les carroz and samoens all good. L'arrete busy as usual tried me Claire for lunch change from l'igloo, nice place. Snowman we were told red run down to morillon village always a open now cos the project last year was to invest in snow making machines. Blue run closed cos none on that one.
latest report
Sorry should have read le. Claire and snowmam
snow conditions
@Kay, ahh that explains it.
We went to Flaine thought we'd have sun but were chasing it. Some cloudy foggy spells. Faust is a great run. Headed back around 3 and skied to the bottom again for drink in Le Bon Coin. Beautiful sunshine and scenery on way back from Flaine. Another great day.
snow report

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-02-15 21:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
So what happened to all the snow that was forecast? Clouded over late am, a tiny bit of snow around 1pm and then the sun came out. Lovely skiing this pm in Flaine. Slightly cloudy tonight but no sign of any snow.

This morning went with a guide in Flaine, still plenty of untracked because poor vis yesterday meant it could not be skied safely. They are doing a great job of keeping snow on the pistes but for how much longer?
snow conditions
Quote:

So what happened to all the snow that was forecast?

Chamonix Meteo are forecasting snow starting up towards the middle of the night - I didn't see any forecast suggesting there would be much during the day today.
ski holidays

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Fri 13-02-15 21:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Does anyone know of a shop or ski school in Samoen that rents ABS airbags? Mine has gone off to Germany for a service/recall and it appears that's will not have it back before Wednesday. Thanks in advance
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived last night after a good journey. It started snowing overnight and still going strong. We'll definitely be staying in the trees today.
snow report
Absolutely tipping it down with snow this morning tracks home from yesterday totally covered. Snowmaggedon 2 has begun
ski holidays

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 13-02-15 21:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I was after bit of general weather related GM advice if that is ok? I am staying in Flaine for the first time a week from Saturday night (I usually stay in Les carroz or Morillon 1100)

I can see today that because of strong winds (and I assume high avalanche risk) the link (s) between the other villages and flaine are closed.

What do you do in such circumstances? Does the GM normally re-open the links for a short time so people can get home from the other villages or of offer an alternative like a bus or something?

Looks like the weather could be similar this Sunday and Monday so does anybody have advice on what they do when that happens? Should I stay in Flaine all day although lower down has more cover? Thanks.

Thanks. Very Happy
latest report
@Bruce99, if the link is open at any time during the day and is then subsequently closed, they guarantee to get you back to your starting point. They bus you to a point where you can ski back from, or bus you back depending on what is closed.

In practice, they don't generally open the link if they think it will be a problem later, more likely to keep it closed in the morning and then open later once they are sure they can keep it open.

Today was very windy the moment you were out of the trees and avalanche risk was 4. If it keeps tipping it down the way it is at present then you won't be short of snow!
snow report
We land in Geneva at 21:20 tomorrow night, and driving up to Sixt. Assuming we make it as far as the airport, are the roads usually kept clear? Also is it better to go on the D907, or the D4 in such conditions?
ski holidays
Duplicate Post

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 29-01-15 18:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
What a day! Closed links kept us in Flaine. 10am this morning vis at top of DMC was horrible so spent most of the morning going up Tetes des Verts and coming down different routes. The amopunt of powder on the pistes made it quite hard work but very enjoyable. Late morning they closed the bottom of Serpentine, presumably due to avalanche risk from the south facing slope. This afternoon went up the Egg. The lift was moving very slowly due to high winds but once off the very top the conditions were quite nice.

It has snowed all day and the forecast is for strong winds are a lot more snow tonight. Was talking to one of the local guides who said that there was a chance that the only lifts open tomorrow morning will be the drags. I would guess that there is very little chance of the links being open. Grands Vans has been closed all day.

We wanted some more snow so no moaning, please.......
snow report
Today was very very snowy. Didn't venture out until 11 ish then up Sairon down into Carroz. Did timalets and Combe a few times ankle deep on piste. Had lunch in Le anFionn just by drag on Timalets. Paninis are delicious small place tho so need to be there off peak to get table. Today was all off peak as slopes were super quiet only the brave were out. Snowed all day not much wind down low. Skied to bottom again for beer in Le Bon coin. Then back up for last lifts home. Built a massive Olaf snowman outside entrance to our apt in Morillon. Give him a salute if you see him when passing. We had great fun in snow park it's closed but we skied/fell down through it coming home. Looking forward to tomorrow. Last day so sad. Next wee is gonna be amazing for anyone coming although transfer may be problematic.
ski holidays
Back again on Saturday for a week and can't wait
latest report
@PP, try Zigzag. I haven't rented one from them but vaguely remember seeing something about it on their website
latest report
Snow again all day today. Went over to le Carroz as cold and windy around Morillon. Had a great morning around there then back over to Chalet de Clair for lunch. Legs were gone then so back down home. Have had a great week. Huge amount of snow in last two days. Next week will be amazing. Enjoy all those coming and safe travels to all tomorrow. Au revoir til next year.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy