Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2014/2015 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt & a NEW PISTE??!

Poster: A snowHead
My friends and I will also be there on the 24th Jan, going to be quite a little gang of us!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Look like the snow is on the up.

Does anyone know if you can upgrade your Massif Ski pass to the Grand Massif midweek ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mattdavies, I don't know for sure, but it would be very odd if they turned down extra money Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 13-02-15 21:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mattdavies, if you haven't bought your pass already, you may be better off going to for Grand Massif one from the start. It's only about €25 more for a 6 day GM pass than a 6 day Massif pass.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@sj1608, this was the plan, but last year the people I am going with just had the Massif pass and said they enjoyed it. in the group there are a couple of snowboarders who dont cover the KM of slopes as quick as i would potentially. Maybe will just reach a bit deeper at the start of the week and go for the GM pass
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kay, We are staying in Morillon 1100 Les Esserts. Have been before and really looking forward to it now conditions have improved.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowmam wrote:
@Kay, We are staying in Morillon 1100 Les Esserts. Have been before and really looking forward to it now conditions have improved.

We (husband and two friends) are staying in Morillon 1100 Les Esserts too. Went year before last and loved it. Tried Cervinia last year, good, but need to go back to the Massif. Last time we went we stayed in the Refuge d'Alpage nice apartment and views but did not like the icy steps down to ski lifts. This year am staying in Le Jardin d'Alpin, a lady I skied with last year recommended it and it has a lift. As you say looking forward to it so much more now I can see more snow on the webcams.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another solo blue sky patrol of the estate today and found Les Carroz and Morillon in good order. Timalets at LC a bit thin here and there and if temps rise and traffic increases it might easily become trashed, Plein Soleil however was excellent as was Combe and the higher areas of Morillon, Samoens consistently good throughout. Temp rising (+2deg) in valley but remaining cold high up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for update -it was saying moderate snowfall on Thursday but that seems to have disappeared. Now saying no new snow till Saturday and only a little, more next Tuesday. Glad you had a good day, great to have some blue skies.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skied GM for the first time today (staying in Pras de lys) The runs on the Flaine bowl were in superb condition. Serpentine blue run was the best piste I have skied for some time (perhaps the rollers flatten out with more snow?) conditions high up seemed better than Avoriaz earlier this week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Where to ski and snowboard have posted a not so good review of Flaine today on their website/blog. Looks as though Cascades does not have sufficient snow cover and should be avoided for the time being. NB. I am only drawing attention to what they have written - I have not yet been there this season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I love Timalets hope it stays good. Looks like we will get the GM lift pass to be sure of a good week as Flaine seems to be the best skiing as per @retsil, thanks to all for the updates it helps with decision making and adds to the excitement. Ski boots down from attic feet still say no thanks I don't like going in there but it has to be done. A bit like high heels. Lol. Roll on weekend. Yay!!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would have no concerns at all if I was coming out in the next couple of weeks. A few slicker patches lower down, and lots of potholes visible off piste though some nice chopped up powder in between. Pistes high up were flawless. Probably needs quite a bit more snow to cope with the half term hoardes (of which I am one!) The run down to sixt was open today?cascades, though I didn't do it . The Gers area is still closed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another great day today, blue skies and nice fast pisted snow. What more could you ask for? Personally I would hesitate to say that Flaine has the best of the skiing, it's all good and Carroz, Morillon and Samoens are in fine shape and more than match for Flaine. I have had a great week so far, excepting dropping into a mogul ridden Truffe without looking first. Great fun! Shock

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 21-01-15 22:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Quote:

Looks as though Cascades does not have sufficient snow cover and should be avoided for the time being.

Cascades opened today. Top two thirds was in very good condition, a pleasure to ski (if you accept that there are some flat bits). The last section was, as always, icy, lumpy and a bit bare in places.

The snow in the Flaine bowl is holding up well and there is still some good off piste skiing to be had. Went with a guide this afternoon for a few hours and had a lot of fun, including making fresh tracks. Temperature above freezing this afternoon but visibility and light very good.
ski holidays
A few random pics from this week...we have had a fantastic week. Snow and weather have both been kind. The cloudiest day was Tuesday which was actually the best day of the lot.

snow conditions
Nothing more to report as conditions remain stable from previous days. Above the low cloud in Samoens it was cold and glorious up top and it was a great finish to a great week. Bon Ski to all those arriving soon and save some for when we come back out in March (hopefully).
ski holidays
Blink and you have missed it. Cascades now closed until there is some more snow.

Today was glorious weather, mostly sunny but the temperature rose above freezing again, even higher up, and there was a noticeable thaw in the resort. Went over to Carroz early morning, Timalets in reasonable condition but the higher temps in the afternoon will have done nothing to improve it. Still some excellent on piste conditions but more snow would be useful. Had lunch at l'Aero in Samoens, very good but service a bit slow.
latest report
Cloud rolled in today so spent the morning chasing the sun. Piste conditions very good in Flaine bowl and lovely skiing above the cloud. Went over the 'other side' and skied down to the bottom of the Molliets chair for vin chauds, all in the cloud. The top of Tete de Saix and Grands Vans in sunshine but a few hundred metres lower and in cloud. Very cold today (-9C at bottom of DMC at 9.30 this morning) so snow holding up.

Weather forecast for the end of next week is forecasting a lot of snow but freezing level rising to 2,000m, which is not good news. However, that's still a long way out and it will change every day between now and then.
snow conditions
@Garioch, photos are amazing it looks fab. Will see for myself Sunday morning hopefully lots of snow tomorrow it can hold off til we get there if poss then dump all night. Looks like next Sat transfer will be interesting. I will update. Thank you for the updates. Safe travels all tomorrow.
ski holidays
Love the photos - Weather looks set to be snowy next week, fingers crossed for ok visibility.Flying out tomorrow, will try and update but no wifi in apartment. Hope everyone going next week gets some good skiing in. Take care. snowHead
snow conditions
Snowing lightly in Carroz tonight, it does need a top up.

A few stones starting to get thrown up by the piste bashers and some high traffic areas getting worn. Having said that the pisteurs are doing a great job and the runs are still in great condition considering the relatively small snow depths, most off piste areas are just covered and no more. Until the next time...
ski holidays

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-02-15 21:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Skied for the first time in Carroz yesterday, wow what a place. The pistes are long, wide and varying challenges, though nothing too difficult - did the black yesterday with no issues - just long, gorgeous pistes. Really really enjoyed it.
ski holidays
Just gone online to claim the free one day pass given to season pass holders as compensation for the poor start to the season. It's not clear if you have to use the pass on the day that you pick it up, or if it is an open pass, which is what I had expected. Please can anyone who has already claimed clarify?
latest report
The pass can be used any day in the remainder of the season. It is undated.
ski holidays
@derrick 45, thanks, that's what I hoped/expected.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 13-02-15 21:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Cold out there today, not as much snow last night as I was expecting but a much needed top up, looks like more on the way! Last day tomorrow, looking for some quieter pistes, when all the weekenders have gone. Where for a big lunch though, any recommendations?
snow report

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 13-02-15 21:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
My other half had a very nasty upset tum after sausage and chips at the one by Les Molliets last season. We assumed that they had not maintained the correct temperature on the sausages, and have avoided it since.
snow report
Had a great day today around Les Carroz in morning and Samoens in afternoon. Had delicious panini in La Fionn for lunch on Timalets piste. Last ski down was from top of Tete de Saix down to Morillon village. First year we've been able to ski from Morillon 1100 to village blue run not open but red Doina was. Very icy in places but good to check it off list. Sunny spells and some cloud but snow cover excellent up high and very skiable down low. Fab first day.
snow conditions
TheDT's wrote:
Where for a big lunch though, any recommendations?

+1 for l'Igloo (at the top of the Bergin lift on your left hand side). We also love Milk Hotel, which is immediately in front of you at the foot of Timalets in Les Carroz. It's pretty funky, lovely staff and they do a killer burger as well as great specials.
snow report
Had the quiche at igloo already this weekend so may go back there again if that's the snowheads recomendation! Did see Milk Hotel earlier that wasn't there 22 years ago when I worked at the front de neige!
latest report
Spent most of today in the Faine bowl. Great on piste early on, chasing the sun and avoiding the cloud. Was very cold, even more so in the wind. As @Garioch, said above, the pisteurs are doing a great job. Later in the afternoon there was a lot of ice on the pistes. The DMC was out of action from about 3pm Saturday pm until about 1pm Sunday, giving rise to long queues on the Egg and the Tetes de Verts. Late pm was sunny in Flaine but the other side of the top of Grands Vans appeared to be in cloud. Should be less busy tomorrow with no weekenders. The British schoolgirls championships take place over the next few days in Flaine so some pistes will be closed.
latest report
Quote:

Should be less busy tomorrow with no weekenders. The British schoolgirls championships take place over the next few days in Flaine so some pistes will be closed.

always love that when we get the slopes back!
I helped with the schoolgirls championships a few years ago - I seem to recall lots of teachers and parents standing around with the important duty of holding the coats. Hope it goes well and doesn't disrupt Flaine for you.
ski holidays
Managed to snap a fairly bizarre looking cloud - obviously the photo doesn't show it but it was moving/whisping about and looked almost alive

Put a name to face @carroz, and picked up some awesome looking gloves, can't wait to try them.
snow report

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 13-02-15 21:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Lovely day today. Snowing from late morning getting steadily more persistent. Good visibility even so and some great sking. Lads enjoyed off piste ladies on piste. Lunch in Le Clair de something or other at top of Sairon. Super quick service and delicious cheeseburgers. Yum!! Still snowing now so tomorrow should be even better. The oak barrel bar in 1100 nice and quiet when it opened for a aperitif ready for dinner now.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy